New Horizons Modding
New Horizons Modding(top)This page will contain tutorials and tips for modding New Horizons.
What is modding(top)Modding is the art of editing the files of the game so the game get new features or bugs are fixed. This sounds pretty difficult but it's actually quite easy for Pirates of the Caribbean New Horizons. Most of the files are in an editable state so you can open them with any editor (like notepad) and look at them.
You can do modding by editing code files which are (mostly) located in the PROGRAM folder or you can modify textures or models. These are located in the RESOURCES folder. Both arts are very different but by mastering one of the two you can achieve quite a lot already.
Modding Tools(top)There are different tools for modders. Here we will try to list them so you can get them. These tools are free unless otherwise specified.
- Notepad++ - This tool can be used to edit files easily. It has some usefull features for coders.
- WinMerge - This tool can be used to check differences in files and it helps you updating files.
- Dialog merger - This can be used to merge the dialog and language files
- GM Viewer - This tool can be used to view the potc gm files
- TX Conververt - This tool can be used to convert .tgax to tga files
- Inez Dias Tool - This tool can be used to change gm files and make them.
A lot of other helpful Modding Tools and Files are available here:- Pirates Ahoy Modding Tools & Files
Tutorials(top)Here you find a list of tutorials. Most of them are written of people who know a bit about coding or modding already but if you take a good look at them you should be able to figure it out without any prior knowledge (hopefully). Don't be afraid to ask questions on our forums. We will always try to help.
- Simple Coding Tutorial
- Types of variables in storm engine
- Adding Readable Books
- Adding Extra Dialog Files
- Adding New Items Later In Game
- Lock/Unlock Perks
- About Events
Commodore Norrington likes this.