• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Screenshots thread

BTW: WHAT did you do with the Black Pearl? She was going 60+ knots and I couldn't even stop her when I wanted to! :shock
Not to mention the hugest cannons I've even seen.

:D :D I wanted the realistic rudder-behaviours in arcade mode, so I changed the ships_ini.c a bit. I compensated that with my internalsettings arcade-speed-multiplikator. maybe thats why^^ And yes the cannons are indeed 128LBS carronades on the Dutchman and special 68LBS carronades on the Pearl :D
I did that because you can see from the movies how strong the Dutchmans cannons are (see the scene where the Black Pearl and the Dutchman burst the Endeavour). And the Pearl's cannons are also mentioned as special ones (you can notice that when Jack says in the first movie that he knows the sound of the cannon-shots). I know they are really really overpowered but the ships ARE some of the powerfullest in the carribbean (according to the movies)^^

But back to topic: if the officers are the problem, then I just take other officers with me for the screens, that is no problem.
But I wonder what happens if you switch ships again and switch the sails and berth the ship again. Does it overwrites the officers attribute?

I can find zero reference that shipberthing has anything to do with it. The test continues.

Apparently that viper_sailstype = set is what is preventing my INTENDED sail code from taking effect.
But from what I understand, you get that EVERY time you select your own sails. Then why have I never been able to break it myself by just swip-swapping sails around?
I'm rather confused on what that Viper_SailsType stuff even does. It looks to me like old left-over code from before we had the Choose Sails interface.
Maybe I should go through all the code and just remove any and all references to it. See if that works any better.

I still wished I knew how to break it myself. :modding

But back to topic: if the officers are the problem, then I just take other officers with me for the screens, that is no problem.
Hire some new, clean officers and they should make it work. Or I can give you some code to get you some free officers.

well I think I can take that without coding ;) there are enough officers around the carribbean with my level and I have enough Officers who never sailed a ship until now. They should be "clean" if I understand it right?

Thanks! Glad to hear we didn't go to all that trouble for nothing! :cheeky
How do they work from a gameplay perspective? Does their steam propulsion actually give you a proper advantage?
And how it their fuel consumption and engine damage effect linked to hull HP? We just threw it into the code, but never really balanced it.

Sorry for my late reply. (I really should sleep more often, tired as hell. *cough*)
About your question: pretty good, I think. I only use the engines at low wind or if I have to "sail" against it without other options, so consumption was never a problem. On full ahead the engines provide me a speed up to 7 knots; not sure how they behave in Arcade Mode though. But what makes me wonder, are there any differences in fuel consumption between slow and full ahead? Never noticed anything like that. :shrug

As for damages... Good question, never noticed anything special in that case either. Could be because I'm a quite defensive player; don't know really. Are there supposed to be boiler explosions/damages from submerging in rough seas or anything like that?

About your question: pretty good, I think. I only use the engines at low wind or if I have to "sail" against it without other options
That's fair enough. I suspect that is close to how they would have been used in the early days as well.
Makes perfect sense to only use the engines when you need them. Glad to see that working out sensibly! :onya

consumption was never a problem. But what makes me wonder, are there any differences in fuel consumption between slow and full ahead? Never noticed anything like that. :shrug
Consumption of planks does depend on the power, yes. Full ahead uses planks twice as quickly as half ahead does.
But if you don't notice yourself running out of planks excessively quickly, that suggests it is balanced reasonably well.

On full ahead the engines provide me a speed up to 7 knots; not sure how they behave in Arcade Mode though.
Only 7? I though it was 12 when I set it up in Realistic Game Mode.
Might have been with earlier WIP code, before I linked it to your ship's actual speed rate.

As for damages... Good question, never noticed anything special in that case either. Could be because I'm a quite defensive player; don't know really. Are there supposed to be boiler explosions/damages from submerging in rough seas or anything like that?
Well, there is no visible damage of any kind. But if you say you do 7 knots on engines alone, then if your ship HP is at 50%, you will also only do 3.5 knots.

Only 7? I though it was 12 when I set it up in Realistic Game Mode.
Might have been with earlier WIP code, before I linked it to your ship's actual speed rate.
Sometimes it's a bit more, but 7 knots in general seem to be fair enough. I don't think early naval steam engines were much more powerful; at least as far as I know, I may be wrong here. :shrug

Well, there is no visible damage of any kind. But if you say you do 7 knots on engines alone, then if your ship HP is at 50%, you will also only do 3.5 knots.
Ah, that. Alright then, I'll look into it. :dance

Sometimes it's a bit more, but 7 knots in general seem to be fair enough. I don't think early naval steam engines were much more powerful; at least as far as I know, I may be wrong here. :shrug
I think we tried to find actual historic reference of their speed, but couldn't find it. It IS set up as 12 knots in ships_init.c, but indeed when I tested I only got up to just over 6 knots as well.
Oh well, seems fair enough anyway.

well I think I can take that without coding ;) there are enough officers around the carribbean with my level and I have enough Officers who never sailed a ship until now. They should be "clean" if I understand it right?
I have indeed removed the Viper Sails Code and now your savegame DOES behave properly. Required changes included in here:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686/
Needs testing though to find out if there are any unintended side-effects from me doing this.

cool! due to my internet connection, which is very slow after 15GB data, I can unfortunatly not patch my game yet. :( But I can upload a few new shots ;) .. this one is referred to the first movie, when the Black Pearl strikes Port Royal.
seadogs2_0200.jpgseadogs2_0205.jpgseadogs2_0219.jpg

Cool ones!

You're best served by not getting that file just yet anyway. Turns out I messed things up somewhere; working on sorting it out. :facepalm
It's just a 2 MB update though, so it shouldn't hurt your connection too much.

But if you say you do 7 knots on engines alone, then if your ship HP is at 50%, you will also only do 3.5 knots.
Wrecked my ship to test that; seems to work quite like you said.

I think we tried to find actual historic reference of their speed, but couldn't find it. It IS set up as 12 knots in ships_init.c, but indeed when I tested I only got up to just over 6 knots as well.
Oh well, seems fair enough anyway.
As far as I remember, the paddle steamer "Clermont" could go up to 4,5 knots in 1807, the "Sirius" in 1838 to 6,7 and the "Banshee" in 1847 even managed 16. No problem here, I guess.
Anyway, I've got a reprint of the "Handbuch der Dampfmaschine" (Manual/handbook of the steam engine) from 1833, published by a little company in Germany which is known by its nautical series. If I'll stumble upon anything interesting I'll let you know.

That's interesting to know! Indeed the performance sounds fair enough to me then. :woot

cool! due to my internet connection, which is very slow after 15GB data, I can unfortunatly not patch my game yet. :(
File fixed, so you can get it whenever now. This should make your sail selection weirdness a THING OF THE PAST! :whipa

Back