• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

Do not listen to Pieter about downgrading the texture quality. He did that to POTC and people have been complaining about it ever since. COAS is DX9 and can use better textures. Please do not downgrade GOF.

People complained mainly about the loading screens and interface pictures. For character models and ships, I doubt you could tell the difference.
It was necessary to keep the size manageable though. But I have restored the old files in Build 14 since we're well past the 2 GB limit anyway.
Are you saying it is still not good enough? :facepalm

And 32 bit is definitely not needed for most textures. Reducing to uncompressed 16 bit still cuts the filesize in half.

It is never "good enough". This is 2013 not 2002 and we need to move forwards, not backwards.

Thanks for your help Pieter, but I can't reduce the texture qualify or image quality for interface pictures. Its a shame that they can't be in DDS format, that would make things a little smaller without having to textures been effected in a negative way. Then again I have never tried to see if DDS could be used. Maybe something to try when I feel ready to work on the mod again.

As long as you don't use the DXT compressions in the TX Converter, no quality is lost.
If you do use DXT, that creates some slight artefacts around edges and makes the textures slightly darker.
Isn't very obvious on model textures because those are already distorted by the models themselves and you don't usually see them that much up close.
Anyway, that's that. :shrug

I don't think these games use anything but tga.tx files, though bmp.tx files from VCO do work.

Hi guys, newbie here...

Just downloaded the mod and relative patch (2.0.9), it works fine for me. Anyway, did anybody ever notice how most NPCs have names that look totally gibberish? Well - this ruined the "immersion" factor for me so I'm currently working on a little mod to fix that (I'm "just" rewriting the characters_names file), which I hope to release soon. Once I'm done, how can I submit it?

Thanks in advance - and keep up the good work!

Last edited:
You should be able to attach your modified file as a ZIP to a forum post here. :doff

If you wish to keep track of all your mods, you can use http://www.mediafire.com for small 199 MB mods (this is free) or you can use https://www.dropbox.com/home for larger mods which again is free. Then you can keep all your COAS mods together by creating a folder and call it COAS and then uploading all mods to that folder. You can do the same with drop box as well.

You should be able to attach your modified file as a ZIP to a forum post here. :doff

If you wish to keep track of all your mods, you can use http://www.mediafire.com for small 199 MB mods (this is free) or you can use https://www.dropbox.com/home for larger mods which again is free. Then you can keep all your COAS mods together by creating a folder and call it COAS and then uploading all mods to that folder. You can do the same with drop box as well.

Thanks a bunch to the both of you! Hopefully, I'll be able to release it soon... at the moment, though, the mod is still WIP (meaning: it's a small, but herculean, task! :modding) and I want to make sure everything works properly.

Last edited:
Hi guys, newbie here...

Just downloaded the mod and relative patch (2.0.9), it works fine for me. Anyway, did anybody ever notice how most NPCs have names that look totally gibberish? Well - this ruined the "immersion" factor for me so I'm currently working on a little mod to fix that (I'm "just" rewriting the characters_names file), which I hope to release soon. Once I'm done, how can I submit it?

Thanks in advance - and keep up the good work!

Actually they are russian spelling (spelling in my language would be similar if not the same in most cases) of the english/french/spanish/dutch names but I can understand why it looks gibberish to you. :)

Actually they are russian spelling (spelling in my language would be similar if not the same in most cases) of the english/french/spanish/dutch names but I can understand why it looks gibberish to you. :)

Is that really so? I didn't know it... :facepalm

Anyway - I found the Russian spelling quite jarring in the game context so I'm trying to rewrite the "characters_names" file by inserting the original English, French, Dutch and Spanish names in it, complete with accent marks and everything (as is the case with French/Spanish ones).

Last edited:
ok, i have a question, i currently use GoF 1.2 version, i dont know how to do all the mods. best buy geek squad to upgrade me from CoAS to GoF. here's my question, is this the version with MK's new stuff all in it? im so illiterate when it comes to doing things like this. when i first started off playing the orriginal coas i would of course have $$ probs, till i found the "cheat" for the $. thats about as tech savy as i can get.
im just worried i'll get a corrupt file if i try to mess with this. be nice if someone made a youtube video of how to do the mod'ing that would help ppl like me who dont know.

Is that really so? I didn't know it... :facepalm

Anyway - I found the Russian spelling quite jarring in the game context so I'm trying to rewrite the "characters_names" file by inserting the original English, French, Dutch and Spanish names in it, complete with accent marks and everything (as is the case with French/Spanish ones).

Yeah, for example there was used name Zhilber (sorry, but can't check at the moment), which would be russian spelling for french name Gilbert. Anyway, from what I remember (but I must admit last I played CoAS was around the time of GoF 1.2 release), english names and for most part dutch names are correct, only french names are "scrambled" except for those that are pronounced as they are written in russian (Bertrand for example).

small bug report for 2.09
bug: 28 gun frigate have 32 guns model
solution: add 2 front and 2 stern guns in Ships_init
bug: SAILORSPOINTS for USS_Constitution1 is absent
solution: attached file based on RN_BattleFrigate1 is better then nothing
bug: SAILORSPOINTS for LineShip1 is incorrect
solution: attached file from GOF 1.2 beta
bug: SAILORSPOINTS for BlackPearl1 is incorrect
solution: none. it is easy to rewrite file from NH b 14, but it bit of a chore
bug: Quest double-barreled Musket: Musket disappears when sending musketeer
I bought the Flying Dutchman at the shipyard. Is it normal?

Sorry for my english
Thank you for the great work!

Attachments

• USS_Constitution1.ini
    2.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Lineship1.ini
    4.9 KB · Views: 63
Thank you!
Not perfect SAILORSPOINTS for BlackPearl1, but it is normal.

bug: fight in the cabin absent during the boarding Luger, this causes the failure of the generator citizens quests.
bug: once in the quest pirate's proposition has generated "gost" ship.
It does not appear in the spyglass, the compass, sail to, did not get damage and could not be board but dealt damage by guns. I could switch on the global map near of this ship

Attachments

• BlackPearl1.ini
    3.9 KB · Views: 70
I believe the first time you encounter the Ghost ship, you can't board or damage her (COAS default) later on once you have found the secret of the ghost ship (never done the quest but have read what people said, a long time ago now) you can then damage the ghost ship. I think the first time you encounter the ghost ship, you get marooned on a island, can't remember to much of what people said. But I will take note of all these bugs and if I ever get the feel to work on this game again, I will look into these bugs.

Back