• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

After a few day's of work I have managed to finish the beta patch, this has only had a few hours of testing done which is why its a beta patch. This just ports over some coding from "GOF 1.2" and all of "Buho's" work is now included. For this to work, the correct install is "GOF 2.0 Full Mod" followed by this new patch Link Removed Due To Issue's

Link can also be found in first post.

Last edited:
I finally got around to installing GOF2 again. It went like clockwork and I was wandering around town in no time. This is where it gets messy because I've forgotten how to play this game.

Lol, well you'll soon pick it up. I tend to go to the store and sell anything I don't want (planks and sail cloth, because I never carry any of those) then I go to the shipyard and fix the ship and then to the tavern to hire some crew. I will go to the store and accept the Bluebird quest, then see if there are any merchant jobs the store owner needs doing. Finally before leaving town I head over to the port controller and see if he has any jobs going (tend to ask him 2 times if he says no the first time) and finally its time to board the ship, so I save once aboard and that's it off to the open sea to take do the merchant job.

I always do the same thing in the exact same order as my opening start for new games. I tend to spend most of my early game time doing merchant jobs to help cover the upkeep costs and get some money for hiring officers to help further increase the ships effectiveness in battle (just in case I find myself in a battle some day). When i'm finally happy I can fight other ships, then its time to go pirate hunting. If I start as a pirate then I go searching for ships that are all alone so i can have a nice tactical battle and hopefully take on low crew losses.

I always pick Red Legg as my character, for the updated beta patch i have down graded his ship from the Schooner to the Sloop. I felt that the Schooner (although fitted him well for what kind of character he is) was a little to good a ship for him. I could spend a lot of time not ever needing or wanting to swap ships with a captured ship, even if the captured ship was better in speed or more cannons, bigger cargo hold etc. The Schooner was much better than most ships i would encounter anyway, so i figured the ship was to good as a starting ship, and demoted him to a Sloop, which is good enough.

I'm thinking of adding a few ships, but i can't remember what they looked like. I don't want to many ships using the same base models, but the ships i was thinking of looking into are.

Galeon1 aka Carrack in GOF 1.2
BattleFrigate aka Battle Frigate in GOF 1.2
PO_Fleut50 aka Whydah in GOF 1.2
CaravelR aka Caravel Redonda in GOF 1.2

I will need to look at the models in gm view to see what they look like, i have a feeling the Battle Frigate is the same model as the Constitution, the Po_Feut50 is the stock version of the Fleut from POTC (just a guess) not sure about the CaravelR and the Galeon1 i think is the same model as the Galeon in GOF 2.0 known as Golden Hind (if it is, then that ship won't be ported in). I don't want to add to many ships for the base mod, in a separate mod i could add all the ships that was removed, which is something i said i would do. But i want the base mod to make full use of unique ships and models, not to many large class 1, 2 or 3 ships or large trading ships, i don't mind more class 5, 6 and 7 ships, because that would add something more to the mod. Right now though, i want to play the game with the new beta patch and have some fun and not start delving into files and porting ships over and starting the game over again to see how the new ships effect the balance of the mod. But in a few weeks perhaps more ships could be added for a future patch, after this beta patch has been tested and bugs looked into and hopefully fixed.

I'm no help identifying Galeon1 but the BattleFrigate is the Constitution, PO_Fleut50 is an original POTC fleut ( which I've recently been working on and have put new sails on), and CaravelR is a new ship which is a small Carrack of 10 guns methinks.

Thanks guy's.:onya

Now for the bad news, the beta patch is not the beta patch as such, some changes made it in, let me explain. When I moved the tested files over to the patch it didn't overwrite the files in the patch, so I lost all the tested files. Now I have to re-don all the files again and this time make a backup of the files. I don't know why it didn't update the files because I did tell it to over write the files and folders and not ignore the files. Anyway this beta patch has now been removed and will be re-uploaded once I have all the work in place. Sorry about any inconveniences and since I have to re-do the beta patch I will port in the new ships and take a look at them and see if they are what i'm looking for.

Ouch, sorry to hear. Make sure to WinMerge EVERYTHING!
When I make a Build installer, I spend at least half a day, if not more, WinMerging and making sure it all installs like it should.
It's a painful process, but the only way I know of to ensure it all does what it should. And even then people have problems.
But that is Windows Security Stupidity at play. :whipa

Yeah its a long drawn out process, but I do normally check the files, but I was sure it had all gone in but all that made it in was textures and things. Some text files made it in, but it seems most didn't for some reason, all I can think of is its this computer problem I've been having. When I play a game the game will freeze or if in windowed mode, it will pause for no reason. I've had t buy an external fan to try and cool the computer down, thinking it was that, but even when the temperature is low it does it. So either a program in the background tries to take priority or a virus (but I have already done several virus checks with different programs and they all came back clean) or its a windows update (which wouldn't surprise me). I'm half way through the programs files now, so by tomorrow I should be able to remove the previous beta patch from the FTP and re-upload the new one (I will for sure be checking each file this time to make sure they all make it in.

Aww shucks. That might explain my problem. The game works ok on land but last night I finally got around to going to sea and none of the controls works. I could not raise sails or steer the ship. I looked for the controls file and it looked ok, but it just did not work.

Hmm. Have you tried Turbo Boost or something like it to shut down background programs?

No I haven't tried any programs to auto disable things not needed running in the back ground, i have a race tomorrow so i will see if it pauses the game because i play in windowed mode. If the game pauses then its not fixed, if it doesn't then its perhaps fixed. I removed all updates that was installed around the time this problem started.

Update:
I have almost finished porting everything over again, hopefully tomorrow the beta patch will be out. I have now enabled the ability to change the sail colours at the pirate hide out and enabled the ship turning upgrade. I have to port in the ships I listed a little further up and see if they are what I want and I also noticed the Golden Hind has some missing cannon, or some to many cannons. I will have to look in the GM files to see what cannons she meant to have.

Last edited:
You race eh? I retired from racing some years ago. Bad eyes. The cars I raced look a bit different from what you race I suppose.
GPL-1.jpg GPL-2.jpg

What game is that?

The cars I race are modern F1 cars, race in 3 league's, WNC, TNC and FNC, only Monday and Tuesday are also test days for the WNC league. WNC Wednesday Night Championship, TNC Thursday Night and FNC is as you guessed Friday Night Championship. Anyway we just finished a summer break for WNC, but during the summer break I started doing short 5 lap races with some guy's and now I have got use to that way of racing that i'm slower when it comes to long distance races with high fuel loads and tyre wear playing a factor aswell as the weather. So I have to get use to racing longer races, so I won't be joining any more short stint races.

As a past time to relax me, I play Euro Truck Sim 2, recently started a new game because I want to buy my first truck without taking out a loan. So i'm going to be an employee for a long time, only have about $15,000 so far, but now I have a 2 skills on urgent delivery, one on long distance and a 3 on fragile loads. So the average pay is increasing slowly with the best so far been a little over 4k, I know its crap pay but that will change in time. Good game to help relax me.

Grand Prix Legends (1998) It has been developed a bit beyond its original graphics. It is based on the 1967 F1 season. Not bad for DX7.

My high point came in 2007 when we ran the 40th Anniversary World Championship. The 1967 cars and tracks run at their original times and distance. The 1st race was in January and the last one in November. Full GP distance and no pit stops.
I finished 10th in a Cooper.
40th AWC 1.jpg

Now instead of driving 200mph cars I sail 2 knot ships.

Do you still play racing games?

If you do, you could always get F1 2013 when it comes out and join one of the league's, we drive clean and fairly. My youtube video will show a lot of the races I have been in, from F1 2011 to the current F1 2012. The game I loved the most though was World Grand Prix Manager, but I haven't played it in a long time and I didn't like how the career was so short. I like games to go on for ever, or at minimum have a long life span.

No I do not drive anymore. Bad eyes. It hurts just watching replays and I packed the G25 away years ago.

Oh, a shame because it would have been fun racing with you.:(

Now for the bad news, the beta patch is done, but when you load your savegame, you can't use the options tab. It doesn't open, so now I have to find out why that is happening.

The weird thing is, I have ported everything from GOF 1.2 over (everything, but the ships as I already have the ships I wanted) but all features I ported over trying to find which one it could be that causes the problem. Now the beta patch has become GOF 1.2 with modified ships, because it is basically GOF 1.2. The problem is still there though, so this means its a modification I have made for GOF 2.0 that was never in GOF 1.2. So i'm now slowly removing each of the modifications I did to find the one that it could be, which is why its weird, because the game worked fine till I began porting more things in. I have compared GOF 2.0 files to GOF 1.2 around 5 or 6 times now and every single file is exactly the same apart from those with GOF 2.0 modifications like ships, RTBL settings etc. So it looks like the beta patch is on hold for a few day's as I won't have time to work on it till Friday now.;(

Well I've finally finished the beta patch. To make things easier I have made this a standalone, meaning you don't need to install anything other than a fresh install of COAS before adding the mod. I didn't add the new ships yet, reason for this was simple. I didn't want to add more when there is a lot to be tested already. I did update the weather a little though, now there are waves. This beta patch ports every feature and edit left from GOF 1.2, I expect the boarding bug to show its face at some point in this version, but hopefully someone is willing to look into this and see if they can some how fix it (a lot of searching and testing for a hand full of people, much easier when there is more than 2 searching through the files). Anyway have fun guy's and hope the boarding bug is not as bad a problem as it was in GOF 1.2.

* Link also added to first post

http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/COAS/GOF 2/GOF 2.1.0 Beta Standalone.exe

Back