• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

Thanks Pieter, yes this was a self extracting .exe using 7zip. Its GOF 2.0.9 the stable version that I want to do a proper .exe for as that's the version that will be released. That's why I released the beta update as a standalone as a pose to a patch.:)

I thought as much. So if you want to cooperate on developing a good installation process, just let me know.
I've been experimenting with making an EXE installer that extracts a 7-Zip file, which should be easy to work with once it is all operational.
Then for future releases, you just need to post a regular 7-Zip file and don't even need to recompile the EXE.

I thought as much. So if you want to cooperate on developing a good installation process, just let me know.
I've been experimenting with making an EXE installer that extracts a 7-Zip file, which should be easy to work with once it is all operational.
Then for future releases, you just need to post a regular 7-Zip file and don't even need to recompile the EXE.

No problem bud, at the moment i'm still working on a few things for this release version before its ready. I just wanted to get the beta standalone out of the way first, then I could use that version to help further develop the release version. :onya

Downloading. Do I have this right? Clean COAS then this Beta?

That's correct bud.;)

I already know about the store tabs not working correctly, they work but when you go in the check box for what goods/items you have on you are checked but all goods and items the store has are shown. I have not put the 2 files in that changes the check box to also have the right windows open, simply uncheck the person tab check box and it all works fine. I will upload the 2 files soon, its because I had been comparing files to those that I had edited for GOF 2 and porting the things over, then I ran into the options not working after loading a save game up so I began removing some of the features I had done for GOF 2 and I forgot to put the 2 files back in. So I will upload a patch that adds all the edits I did for GOF 2 as soon as I've tested them all.

Last edited:
Ayup, it installs fine. Pieter you should look at what Luke159 has done here as this is an 8.8gb install onto the stock game and it works. :thumbs1
I discovered that windowed mode HAS to be on or it will instacrash.

Boy do I have a lot to relearn! Left port and immediately sailed into 2 storms which shredded the sails, resulting in an average speed of 0.4K. Are the shouted commands like "raise and lower sails" off on purpose?

Ayup, it installs fine. Pieter you should look at what Luke159 has done here as this is an 8.8gb install onto the stock game and it works. :thumbs1
I know exactly what he did: 7-Zip Self-Extracting EXE. That is brilliantly simple, BUT doesn't allow for:
- Automatic running of RunMe.bat (or the new method I'm working on now). So people are going to have to do that themselves and we all know how well that is going to work.
- Doesn't allow for additional components
- No possibility for fail-safes checking if you already had the previous stuff installed
- No installation wizard with additional information at all

In other words: Perfect method for modders and people capable of reading instructions.
Unfortunately it seems that a god-awful number of people do NOT fit into either of those categories.
Plus I'm not at all sure how it will fare in the ever-lasting war versus Windows Security Stupidity.

No problem bud, at the moment i'm still working on a few things for this release version before its ready. I just wanted to get the beta standalone out of the way first, then I could use that version to help further develop the release version. :onya
Developing an installation method and developing the final release files are two different things.
I don't have the Build 14 Beta 3 release files ready either, but I AM trying to get the installation method operational already.
Making good progress and I reckon the result might be useful to you too. Unfortunately I fear the process is going to be really slow due to limitations in the systems I use.
(Eg. they just weren't written for the purpose I have in mind and require additional file-moving/copying steps :facepalm )

@ Hylie Pistof
Yeah it takes a little getting back into, but you'll soon get back into it.:onya

Hope your liking the new updates weather?

@ Pieter
Well the system is simple to create and should be simple for anyone to use, point the .exe to your game directory and let it do what it needs to do. Not so hard when you know how to do it, but obviously you'll alway's get those who do something wrong.

Current Work In Progress GOF Update:
This will be for the standalone beta because it will be the fix for the store check boxes and a few other changes. This update will be fixing the ships max cannon types to be more realistic. Small ships been able to mount only 4Ibs, slightly larger ships can mount 8Ibs, Frigate's been able to mount from 4 to 24Ibs (depends on ship class and a few other factors as to what max calibure they can mount). Large MOW's been able to mount the formidable 48Ibs with line ships been able to mount 36Ibs and some able to mount 42Ibs. Also i'm looking into the turn rates and lowering them, most turn rates have been lowered by 4.0, some as little at 1.0, but almost every ship has a lower turn rate now. What I will do is find the maximum and lowest turn rates and then base the ships turn rates between those value's.

Hopefully a coder will be available one day to do some things that really annoy me, like been able to turn your ship without any sails down (that one is very annoying)

Last edited:
Well the system is simple to create and should be simple for anyone to use, point the .exe to your game directory and let it do what it needs to do.
Perfectly true. I use it for internal test releases all the time for that very reason.

My new system is proving very promising though and will, amongst others, make it just as easy to make new installers as creating a self-extracting EXE is.
Now I've got a 500 kB installer file that takes all the content from regular 7-Zip files. Plus it has support for updates.
So you can have one large archive with all required files and then another archive with future updates and the installer will install them both properly.
Once I've got the PotC version done, I could easily adapt it to CoAS as well. Then all you'd need to do is to make the 7-Zip file containing the actual content. :doff

Not so hard when you know how to do it, but obviously you'll alway's get those who do something wrong.
Yes. Lots of them. And we get to deal with them here.
I'd rather avoid that. Don't underestimate the number of people out who won't be able to make it work! :shock

Perfectly true. I use it for internal test releases all the time for that very reason.

My new system is proving very promising though and will, amongst others, make it just as easy to make new installers as creating a self-extracting EXE is.
Now I've got a 500 kB installer file that takes all the content from regular 7-Zip files. Plus it has support for updates.
So you can have one large archive with all required files and then another archive with future updates and the installer will install them both properly.
Once I've got the PotC version done, I could easily adapt it to CoAS as well. Then all you'd need to do is to make the 7-Zip file containing the actual content. :doff

Yes. Lots of them. And we get to deal with them here.
I'd rather avoid that. Don't underestimate the number of people out who won't be able to make it work! :shock

Sounds good to me, just hope this will reduce the amount of people who fail to install something via an exe which does all the work for you. Strange that many people fail with the most simple methods but some people don't take the time to read and rush into things without a clue of what they're actually meant to do. Anyway I really like the sound of this new system and look forward to seeing it in action one day (recently installed POTC with latest build mod) that was because I was looking into trying to get the waves for COAS a little better, but in the end I decided not to port those from POTC because I had already made progress with my own modifications.

You'll see the system in action soon enough. I'll post a full Beta 3 Test Version as soon as I've got all the files working properly.
I reckon the system itself does already work properly though; just a matter of fine-tuning now.
And for CoAS it should be much simpler because you ever had a RunMe.bat to deal with. :doff

Nope no RunMe.bat files for COAS. When you release an update with the exe in use for POTC I will download it and see how it works, can you make your own exe icon? not that we ever did make our own for in the first place, but it would be pretty cool to have our own icon.

We can make it use any icon file you want. At the moment I'm using "A Compass That Doesn't Point North.ico".
I've got also:
- Aztec Gold.ico
- Davy Jones Key.ico
- One Shot.ico

Plus there are probably millions of other piratey ones to be found on the Internet. When the time comes, just let me know how you want it. :doff

Got the patch. :onya

Now how does one go about adjusting the brightness of the game? It is too dark to suit me as I can hardly tell day from night, but the gamma, brightness, and contrast sliders do not work.

Open options file with note pad ++ and edit the following lines.:onya

Code:
video.contrast=1.0000000
video.gamma=1.0000000
video.brightness=0.0000000

Found it. The first time I opened it everything was all run together and unreadable, but the next time it was laid out properly. The brightness is up to 3 and I wants more.

Lol, can't help you there bud. I have never changed the brightness levels because its bright enough for me. Hope its better than it was for you, maybe someone who knows more can help you increase the brightness higher if you need it.:onya

The settings actually don't seem to do anything at all. Night is nice and dark like it's supposed to be but daytime is like twilight.

The sounds don't seem to be working correctly. When sailing there are no crew sounds unless you are in combat. Is this normal?

Well every file was compared to GOF 1.2, basically the beta version is GOF 1.2 with GOF 2 modifications I had made. So yes the sound should work as it does in GOF 1.2. I spent hours comparing files (must have compared them several times in the end).

Back