• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Gentlemen of Fortune 1.2 Maelstrom refined Mod

Happy new year anyway.:ahoy

I already have the mod working on my pc, the graphic improvement is spectacular. :onya

Wait and see the upcoming release. New playable characters (150 exactly), new island textures and new weather.

I have retextured the islands. I just can't get them better than this...

Untitled.png

I came back to this forum after many years and saw this post. It is the first I heard of Maelstrom engine so thank you for that! I now have the engine and some of the mods. This mod is looking amazing from the screenshots so I am looking forward to the new version. One question I do have though is why should I play 1.2 over 2.0 or 2.5? I have looked around the forum and not really found a simple comparison.

I came back to this forum after many years and saw this post. It is the first I heard of Maelstrom engine so thank you for that! I now have the engine and some of the mods. This mod is looking amazing from the screenshots so I am looking forward to the new version. One question I do have though is why should I play 1.2 over 2.0 or 2.5? I have looked around the forum and not really found a simple comparison.

Well, to be honest and modest, you should play my mod (1.2). Why? Because I spent weeks and weeks to make it as much refined as possible. My latest attempt to port 150 playable characters has failed, but in the upcoming release there will be 3 more playable characters (one of them is Edward Teach with his ship Queen Annes Revenge) and a new super looking weather which in my opinion no COAS mod has. Why again? Because I spent hours and hours on it. So GoF 1.2 Refined + Maelstrom is my suggestion. Also, Eras 2 mod is very good, better than my modification, but it is completely historical, so no fantasy elements in it. On the other hand, my mod has many, many texture tweaks that convert it to HD.

Last edited:
Well, to be honest and modest, you should play my mod (1.2). Why? Because I spent weeks and weeks to make it as much refined as possible. My latest attempt to port 150 playable characters has failed, but in the upcoming release there will be 3 more playable characters (one of them is Edward Teach with his ship Queen Annes Revenge) and a new super looking weather which in my opinion no COAS mod has. Why again? Because I spent hours and hours on it. So GoF 1.2 Refined + Maelstrom is my suggestion. Also, Eras 2 mod is very good, better than my modification, but it is completely historical, so no fantasy elements in it. On the other hand, my mod has many, many texture tweaks that convert it to HD.
From the latest screenshots I cant wait to give it a go. I most certainly will be playing it. Thanks for all the hard work you have put in.

Hi, I just tried your mod for the first time and it's just great! Thank you for all the hard work that you put into it.

On a side note: What sea camera settings do you mostly use ? The standard COAS setting always cuts off the top of the ship's sails, which is kind of unfortunate.

Hi, I just tried your mod for the first time and it's just great! Thank you for all the hard work that you put into it.

On a side note: What sea camera settings do you mostly use ? The standard COAS setting always cuts off the top of the ship's sails, which is kind of unfortunate.

You are welcome mate!

I use the standard ones, but in Maelstrom, you can tweak the camera perspective in options menu. The cut of the top of ship's sails is only for the ships that were created by the original developers of GoF 1.2. It needs to be tweaked in Maya, but it's out of my knowledge.

Great contribution ... how to mod the textures. :bow

It's easy. Use TX convertor to convert certain texture from .tga.tx to .tga
After that open the .tga file with Adobe photoshop and replace it with the texture that you prefer. If a texture file is 512x512 you can resize it to 1024x1024. You have to make sure that texture file is tileable.

Back