• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Realism with Health, Potions, Stamina, etc.

Never noticed that. While it has been a while since I made level 20, by then I already have all of the best items and maps. I'm currently at level 12 and have all the maps and weapons I want except for the Golden Cuirass, which comes along at level 16 or so.

Level 20 is still OK; it's later that things start dropping out. I think this code in PROGRAM\ITEMS\items_utilite.c is responsible for it:
Code:
            // if its WAY too low quality, for a high level character, lets not bother selling to the character
            if ( IT_DROP_LOWQUAL_ITEMS && itm.minlevel < GetLevel(GetMainCharacter()) ) {// add toggle for this sub-mod Aug24'06
                // for every 5 levels the character gains ahead of the items minlevel,
                // this will knock off one level of low quality, but will stop with 'average' quality
                // this will never drop "Good" "Fine" or "Excellent" items
                // has a side effect of making poor merchants not have much for sale to high level characters (good thing?)
                levelRange         = GetLevel(GetMainCharacter()) - sti(itm.minlevel);
                qualityCheck     = 5;
                qualityCheck     = GetItemQualityByID(itm.id);
                wackPoint         = makeint( levelRange / 5 );
                if ( levelRange >= 5 && qualityCheck >= 0 && qualityCheck <= 3 && qualityCheck < wackPoint ) { continue; }
            }

level 60 and waited a week on worldmap to make sure the shops and trader take the change of my level

i still seeing regulary enough (mostly the best type) weapons, all potions, much maps, and real lot of items (i saw nearly all minerals for example)

but every low level items are "deleted" no cutlass or knife at all for example, anyway there is no need to buy them at high level i bet (and we can perhaps found them randomly on corpse rarely) => note that perhaps some skill items can be missing

i personally thinks high level char should not restrict even the low level items, at the contrary he must have access to everything, the weapon period already hunt much items on each period, why restricting again ? buying menu are not that long and they are mostly fast to use !

or put it in option ? (i remember an option allowing or not "too good items from start", why not an option restricting OR NOT the items at high level ?)

also found a kind of bug:

some street merchant (RDM encounter) want to sell you a little healing potion which cure from poison

so you have 2 choice:

"give me your swill" (200g)
"i never believe in magical potion"

when choosing to buy (1st option) i hear the money sound but no new potion in inventory

are they meant to sell the green potion against poison ? (i really see NO new medication after buying)

i personally thinks high level char should not restrict even the low level items, at the contrary he must have access to everything, the weapon period already hunt much items on each period, why restricting again ? buying menu are not that long and they are mostly fast to use !
Try setting IT_DROP_LOWQUAL_ITEMS to 0 in PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and see how that looks.
I do fear that will clutter things up quite badly though. And I don't WANT clutter. That's why I've been changing some stuff today already. :facepalm
Also, you can set Trader Item Availability to 0 in the Game Preferences menu. I doubt that'll make for good gameplay though.
But it's worth a try.

some street merchant (RDM encounter) want to sell you a little healing potion which cure from poison
[...]
when choosing to buy (1st option) i hear the money sound but no new potion in inventory
Looks like that isn't a bug. I always thought they sold potions, but they REALLY DON'T! Look!
Code:
        case "healing":
            PlayStereoSound("INTERFACE\took_item.wav");
            AddMoneytoCharacter(Pchar, -200);
            LAi_SetCurHP(pchar, LAi_GetCharacterMaxHP(pchar));
            Diag.CurrentNode = "once_more_portion";
            DialogExit();
        break;

case "healing1":
            Diag.CurrentNode = "thanx";
            DialogExit();
        break;
So they just heal you. Is that what we want? Or what would we want instead?

That's what it does. It heals you and it is there so that you can heal when you have noother way to heal quickly because you are out of everything but money.

Try setting IT_DROP_LOWQUAL_ITEMS to 0 in PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and see how that looks.

i will check

Looks like that isn't a bug. I always thought they sold potions, but they REALLY DON'T! Look!
Code:
        case "healing":
            PlayStereoSound("INTERFACE\took_item.wav");
            AddMoneytoCharacter(Pchar, -200);
            Diag.CurrentNode = "once_more_portion";
            DialogExit();
        break;

case "healing1":
            Diag.CurrentNode = "thanx";
            DialogExit();
        break;

just in discution he talks about potion so i though we buy a potion

but anyway it works well then , do not take care, just verifying ;)

More item stuff I'm experimenting with:
- Item traders don't sell "Items" that do NOT give skill enhancements. After all, why would you want to BUY random crap? All you need to do is SELL it.
- Guns and Blades no longer found randomly. After all, you get PLENTY of those when looting enemies.
- Trying to ensure that Spades and Pickaxes remain showing up later in the game for Treasure Quest purposes.

Good ideas...? :rolleyes:

Agreed with all of the above. You definitely have a point about finding loads of weapons when looting enemies, so we don't need to find more in random locations.
Simply finding random items of value, such as jewels and artefacts, would probably be much better.

Simply finding random items of value, such as jewels and artefacts, would probably be much better.
That's the idea. We'll see how it works in the game.
I'll see if I can make the items on random characters use the same code as the random items in chests/randitem locators.
That way, there'd be more variety and it'd be chance and level-dependent.

level-dependent should happens only for weapons (so on characters ?), all other items dont need that change (even medication, because bandage still could be found (roleplay reason)) and it will also make character still finding some "useless" items as in real, we cant always find what we need in random chests

Agreed. Level only needs to be taken into account for weapons. Let's see if we can make that happen! :cheers

if its only on character, it could help because characters are already generated depending on your level and strenght

uhm pieter the thing is that i ALREADY was IT_DROP_LOWQUAL_ITEMS to 0 :D

héhéhé i understand why i have enough (but not abused) weapons in shops and most maps/items

i advice to let it at 0 by default, it really does not spamming items in merchants (as i already described)

because as you are saying, putting to 1 will limit too much i think

Not sure yet on the 1 vs. 0 thing. I don't like the spamming, so I'd like the "1" option to not impair game-play in any way.

HA! I figured out how to use TRULY random items for jungle bandits.
I'm NOT talking about the talky bandits here; not sure where they are generated, but they skip the "additional loot" code.

I think that characters in dungeons fall under the "skeleton" type and therefore only ever get grenades and cobblestones.
Does anyone think that dungeon characters should get the same random stuff as jungle bandits?

Also, I'll be needing feedback on the frequency you run into various items.
As far as I can tell, low-level items don't start disappearing from boxes and randitem locators, so we're good on that. :cheers

I always thought they sold potions, but they REALLY DON'T! Look!
[...]
just in discution he talks about potion so i though we buy a potion
but anyway it works well then , do not take care, just verifying ;)
Does anyone have any input on this? Should we change what these characters do? I always find them VERY useless. :facepalm

Early on when I do run out of meds I don't have the money to buy from them either, and later I do have meds so do not need to buy from them. So they are no use to me.

Well, I think that makes three of us who don't see their point and purpose.
So what to replace them with? Make them sell potion ITEMS? That would make them available from the early game, which we didn't want. :facepalm

i personnally dont have use of that trader in mind, exept perhaps if he sells 1 mixture instead of recovering your life each time you talk to him, so people in need of "poison-counter" or "just health" or both can find a little help (when in disease of potions/antidotes for example)

i really dont know if it should be edited, for myself it wont change much (as you can see im a huge mixture user :p )

Back