• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Brigantine Castell Friedrichsburg 1688, upgraded to 16 guns

Aww, cmon Morgan. We need this ship. It should replace the barque longue at least. The black Pearl is 4.36mb in size. The ship that puts a noticeable strain on my system is the advanced warship (Mordaunt1) at 19.6mb. I can't wait to sail her.

The ship that puts a noticeable strain on my system is the advanced warship (Mordaunt1) at 19.6mb. I can't wait to sail her.
Are you sure that's correct? The only ship that takes up 19.6MB is the San Felipe, because it has the highest poly count. I found the Mordaunt to be 11.4MB in size. :?

My Mordaunt1 was 19.6mb. I just opened up its folder and found a Mordaunt1.GM copy in there. Deleting that left it at 11.4mb. I've done some flags work on it and maybe I left it in there by mistake. :shrug It still has my hd rattling every time it makes an appearance.

EDIT: The Fleuron is 27.9mb!

EDIT: The Fleuron is 27.9mb!
Woah! I forgot about that ship. Turns out the Poseidon vessels have around 180,000 triangles each, which is around 70,000 more than pgargon's San Felipe! :shock
What effect does that ship have on your HD, compared to the Mordaunt? Is it what you'd expect?

I sailed the Poseidon for a while last spring making videos for MODB and it wasn't bad. I remember getting into a 14 ship battle where one of them was a Man O War that didn't have the hd rattling, although the fps was in the 20-25 range.

Is there a tutorial for doing/repairing walk files?

I really really want to sail this brigantine this year in POTC! :b:

That's good to know. Perhaps I'll look into the Mordaunt at some point, to see why it's so different. :mm

There's a tutorial on using the Sailor Tool (for sailorspoints files) here; they can be converted to walk files using a different converter, but I can't remember where you can download it. :facepalm

so how much of a burden on the game engine is it, compared to ships like the pearl? less? similar?
She is heavier than the Pearl. Even the stock brigantine is 30% heavier than the Pearl. The Castell Friedrichsburg is a little heavier than Raa frigate, because it has nearly the same size, the same level of details and has cab interrior and much more 3d ornaments. I'll convert it to .gm and test it on my notebook, which has a medium performance. If it will work fine, I'll make a release. And if there would be low fps on 10+ ships battles, I'll make a 30% lighter version without the interior and the bigger part of ornaments. In this version this brigantine would have the same polycount as pinnace Berlin, for example.

She looks absolutely beautiful, nice work! :keith
Just out of interest, how many triangles does the model use?

Just a heads-up on a couple of points:
  1. You need to have the flagpole attached as a separate model to the hull (like the masts etc), otherwise there will be problems with the third person camera at sea.
  2. The spanker sail needs to be modelled inside-out, because of this process which makes it behave correctly in-game.
the model has 91,5k triangles. I can't reduce it any more because further work will make an overall look much worse.
Although I must admit that my future models will be lighter. There are several reasons for this:
1. This is my VERY first model I ever made in 3d. The model I was learning 3d modelling on. So now I have more experience and know how to make the model lighter from the very beginning of working on it.
2. Starting this model I couldn't even guess how much triangles would it have when finished, because of the lack of experience again.
3. All the other plans of the ship I'm going to make show that this ships was much less decorated. I can promise that the St. Peter snow, which I'm going to make now, will be up to 50% lighter than Castell Friedrichsburg, because it has only a small bow figure and some simple ornaments on stern.

Thanks for the advise, but is there any tutorials of how to make the sails? I thought that there have to be locators of the sails and the game builds it automatically... Where are the models of the sails stored in game directories? I hadn't ever seen any model of the sail among the game resources.

She is heavier than the Pearl. Even the stock brigantine is 30% heavier than the Pearl. The Castell Friedrichsburg is a little heavier than Raa frigate, because it has nearly the same size, the same level of details and has cab interrior and much more 3d ornaments. I'll convert it to .gm and test it on my notebook, which has a medium performance. If it will work fine, I'll make a release. And if there would be low fps on 10+ ships battles, I'll make a 30% lighter version without the interior and the bigger part of ornaments. In this version this brigantine would have the same polycount as pinnace Berlin, for example.

you are clearly not talking about PotC here then. still, it sounds pretty good.

Oh, now I realized I've never mentioned that this ship is for COAS. Btw, if community would be very glad to see it in PotC, I'll make a lighter version of the ship for that purpose.

Did you know that most of the people commenting in this thread are POTC players? COAS gets the new ships, but POTC doesn't.

Did there be other limitations as in CoaS for the models to load. If not then as long as you have a GfxCard comparable to an older GF6000 or GF8000 should handle the amount of detail. Or am i wrong with that assumption?

The only thing keeping the new ships out of POTC is a lack of people able to do the conversion from COAS. I am trying to learn how, but there seems to be a missing program to convert walk files. Then there is the process of converting FAL's to ROPE's.

the model has 91,5k triangles. I can't reduce it any more because further work will make an overall look much worse.
Although I must admit that my future models will be lighter. There are several reasons for this:
1. This is my VERY first model I ever made in 3d. The model I was learning 3d modelling on. So now I have more experience and know how to make the model lighter from the very beginning of working on it.
2. Starting this model I couldn't even guess how much triangles would it have when finished, because of the lack of experience again.
3. All the other plans of the ship I'm going to make show that this ships was much less decorated. I can promise that the St. Peter snow, which I'm going to make now, will be up to 50% lighter than Castell Friedrichsburg, because it has only a small bow figure and some simple ornaments on stern.

Thanks for the advise, but is there any tutorials of how to make the sails? I thought that there have to be locators of the sails and the game builds it automatically... Where are the models of the sails stored in game directories? I hadn't ever seen any model of the sail among the game resources.
Don't worry too much about optimising the ship; anything less than 100,000 triangles is usually fine, so your ship should have no problems. :onya
We've had ships before now which have had more than 200,000 tris overall, and the game has handled them fairly well, so yours is looking good as it is.

About the spanker sail, it seems I wasn't clear enough, sorry. I meant the yards that the sail will be attached to, not the sail itself.
You're right about the sail locators, so it's just the yards that need to be modelled inside-out.

The only thing keeping the new ships out of POTC is a lack of people able to do the conversion from COAS. I am trying to learn how, but there seems to be a missing program to convert walk files. Then there is the process of converting FAL's to ROPE's.
I should really put a tutorial up in this forum which explains the whole process. It's about time I wasn't the only one who converted new models to PotC.
I'll upload the walk file converter program if no-one can find it on the FTP. I'm still annoyed because I can't remember where I originally downloaded it. :facepalm

Did you know that most of the people commenting in this thread are POTC players? COAS gets the new ships, but POTC doesn't.
No, I didn't. I am quite new on this forum and when I first came here I didn't think that PotC is still popular. I've played the PotC a little maybe five years ago and was far from being satisfied. Maybe it is because I am not the fan of the PotC movie... But everything is clear now and I don't want to cheat the hopes of people who was waiting this ship. I can make a lighter version of a brigantine with overall polycount of about 50-60r triangles. Would it fit well the PotC limitations? Or it have to be lighter? I am learinig the COAS conversion process now but know nothing about PotC conversion, so the tutorial is welcomed.

2Armada: Sorry for a dumb question, but what means "yards that need to be modelled inside-out"? Do the normals need to be flipped? Or should I check the "opposite" flag in object attributes in Maya before convert it to .gm? Or maybe there is something else? Just want to do everything right from the beginning and make the conversion faster.
Thanks!

No, I didn't. I am quite new on this forum and when I first came here I didn't think that PotC is still popular. I've played the PotC a little maybe five years ago and was far from being satisfied. Maybe it is because I am not the fan of the PotC movie... But everything is clear now and I don't want to cheat the hopes of people who was waiting this ship. I can make a lighter version of a brigantine with overall polycount of about 50-60r triangles. Would it fit well the PotC limitations? Or it have to be lighter? I am learinig the COAS conversion process now but know nothing about PotC conversion, so the tutorial is welcomed.

i don't think the game ever had anything to do with the movie. except for the plotline the mods introduced, anyway.

Both COAS and POTC have their fans, and many play both. Some day we hope to merge the two together to get the best of what each has to offer. I am not certain, but I believe the hardware requirements for both are about the same. I have no problems with the latest ships we have, like the Spanish Man O War.

The only reason to create lite and hirez versions would be to accommodate those who have "experienced" hardware. We get a steady stream of people wanting to play on computers with Intel graphics, for example.

Currently Armada is the only person that I know of who can convert COAS ships to POTC, and he has many many ongoing projects. I should apologize because I kinda lost it when I found out that some ships pgargon completed last January still have not been ported over to POTC. I am trying to learn how to do it with no success.

What Armada was talking about is explained in this thread. http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/17408-important-notice-to-modellers/

The screenie here shows how the spanker is supposed to look relative to the wind. The ship in the foreground (Boussole) has already been modified.

I can make a lighter version of a brigantine with overall polycount of about 50-60r triangles. Would it fit well the PotC limitations? Or it have to be lighter?
There's no need to make a lighter version for PotC. Both games can run all the ships made by our modellers equally well, I believe. :keith
All I'm saying is that, in general, keeping below 100,000 tris is best, but it's always best to keep the count as low as reasonably possible.

Sorry for a dumb question, but what means "yards that need to be modelled inside-out"? Do the normals need to be flipped? Or should I check the "opposite" flag in object attributes in Maya before convert it to .gm?
Don't worry, I didn't explain it clearly, so that's not a dumb question. :no
I think reversing the normals should do it, and the rest is based on locators, as explained in the thread Hylie mentioned above.

Both COAS and POTC have their fans, and many play both. Some day we hope to merge the two together to get the best of what each has to offer. I am not certain, but I believe the hardware requirements for both are about the same. I have no problems with the latest ships we have, like the Spanish Man O War.

This is my dream! We really need to talk about merging the two and with Pirate KK's work on the source code, we could make a incredibility impressive game that is both visually up to date and has amazing game-play. I know the plan is to get beta 14 completed befor this even begins to become a reality but it just seems like it will take forever and the two teems are laking man power and that would not be the case if we united our talents.
danse1.gif

Nice ship Rider88, can't wait to sail her. You probably play CoAS because the graphics are better and it is more technically up to date with the latest storm engin but believe me PoTC Build mod has much more depth in shorelines and little details. I still pay CoAS but every so often I play PoTC Build because it so much much fun. I have a graphics bias to CoAS though.

Back