• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Brigantine Castell Friedrichsburg 1688, upgraded to 16 guns

Nice ship Rider88, can't wait to sail her. You probably play CoAS because the graphics are better and it is more technically up to date with the latest storm engin but believe me PoTC Build mod has much more depth in shorelines and little details. I still pay CoAS but every so often I play PoTC Build because it so much much fun. I have a graphics bias to CoAS though.
You should check out this thread then, just to give you an insight into how we're trying to make the Build Mod look better. ;)

Rider88,

The ship is fantastically gorgeous! Schon!!! Is she ready for us to put in game? :onya

I agree with Craiggo. I look forward to the day we combine efforts. I also still play New Horizons when I get a little burnt on GOF and enjoy all the diversity and deeper quest tasks. I love the flags also.

COAS just looks graphically cleaner and better - especially at sea. I also enjoy the COAS swordplay much more. You have a lot more moves than just a single attack, block and sidestep - which is important for me.

Our German players have made COAS their own and are doing incredible work on the German version. Most of our good, currently producing modelers also happen to be German.

Do we have the Spanish Man O War in COAS? I don't remember porting that one in.

MK

Thanks for clearing everything out, guys. Maybe I'll try the PotC with build mod later when I'll get more free time.

I am currently trying to convert the Castell Friedrichsburg but have the scaling problem. I've exported the model to Maya from 3d max, then imported the stock brigantine to make proper scaling. After scaling down my model I've tried to export it using various parameters but finally it gets exported much smaller than other ships, maybe 20 times smaller. I've found it out when tried to export locators from stock brigantine... Now I can't do anything better than to scale her several times more or less accurately and hope that it would be fine... But I don't think it is right.

So this is the question to modellers. Does anybody can explain how did you scaled your models to make them fit right the size of the game world? Help me please, because I can't make any further progress with the brigantine.

P.S. I tried to check and uncheck the "0.01 Scale (cm->m)" flag in exporting options in Maya. Nothing changed. The model was too small every time.

;)
Thanks for clearing everything out, guys. Maybe I'll try the PotC with build mod later when I'll get more free time.

I am currently trying to convert the Castell Friedrichsburg but have the scaling problem. I've exported the model to Maya from 3d max, then imported the stock brigantine to make proper scaling. After scaling down my model I've tried to export it using various parameters but finally it gets exported much smaller than other ships, maybe 20 times smaller. I've found it out when tried to export locators from stock brigantine... Now I can't do anything better than to scale her several times more or less accurately and hope that it would be fine... But I don't think it is right.

So this is the question to modellers. Does anybody can explain how did you scaled your models to make them fit right the size of the game world? Help me please, because I can't make any further progress with the brigantine.

P.S. I tried to check and uncheck the "0.01 Scale (cm->m)" flag in exporting options in Maya. Nothing changed. The model was too small every time.

Okay, you work with 3DMax? I work also with 3DMAX 2011. Please give me your Max-File and I will help you. When you want. ;)

Once you guys figure the scaling problem out, do you think you could work on the Frederich Willem zu Pferde???

Damski seems to have gone underground. He was working on it and that was the same problem he had with getting it finished and in game - scaling.

MK

I'd be eager to help, but the scaling problem is still unsolved. Pgargon confirmed that the model is scaled well in 3d max and it seems to be well in Maya but the problem occurs after exporting to .gm. If this problem will be solved at last, maybe I'll try to finish Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde.

To clarify a few things, any ships exported from the game to OBJ format and viewed in Maya will be 100 times smaller than they are in-game.
Therefore, you need to scale your ship next to a game ship, and then enlarge it by a factor of 100 for exporting to GM. Hope that helps. ;)

To clarify a few things, any ships exported from the game to OBJ format and viewed in Maya will be 100 times smaller than they are in-game.
Therefore, you need to scale your ship next to a game ship, and then enlarge it by a factor of 100 for exporting to GM. Hope that helps. ;)

Interesting... But I've made it in a little bit different way. I've exported the brigantine1.gm to .wrml format and then imported it to 3d max using the wrml plug-in. Anyway, I'll try to scale up the model by a factor of 100. Maybe this is the solution.
Thanks for advice, Armada!

A new update:
Conversion is almost ready. The brigantine works fine and looks even better. At the moment there is only one problem with cab interior texture which I'm going to fix as fast as I can with the help of Pgargon. Another two textures would be ready in a few days.
Here are the screens:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

2Pgargon: Thank you for your help, mate! Without your great work this project would have been finished much later! :onya

Sweeeeet.
Seconded. Nice work! :woot

Just one thing, I noticed that the spanker sail isn't behaving correctly.
Firstly, did you reverse the normals for the spanker? You need to do so for this to work.
Secondly, you need to open mast3 in Inez Dias' TOOL, click 'View > Locators', and then find the locator which connects the spanker to the mast.
Change that locator's XX value to -1, apply the changes and save the GM file. The spanker should now move correctly to catch the wind.

If none of that makes sense, just say, and I'll explain it more clearly. :doff

Thanks guys!

2Armada: Yes, I know. I've tried to make the spanker work correct but there were reverse lightning bug (the spanker yard was exported to .gm without flipped normals), so I decided that pre-release screens will look better with incorrect spanker direction but with correct lightning of the yard. I'll export the files with flipped normals and test it this evening.

2Armada: Yes, I know. I've tried to make the spanker work correct but there were reverse lightning bug (the spanker yard was exported to .gm without flipped normals), so I decided that pre-release screens will look better with incorrect spanker direction but with correct lightning of the yard. I'll export the files with flipped normals and test it this evening.
OK then. You'll find that reversing the normals counteracts the reverse lighting bug, yes. :yes

At last she is finished.
Spanker works OK, here are the screens:
6.jpg

7.jpg

The interior texture is fixed

8.jpg

And third skin is ready too

9.jpg

10.jpg

But there's still one problem I need help with. I can't gain access to FTP and want to ask somebody who has no such problem to place the files there and post a link here in this thread. If somebody is eager to help, PM me your e-mail, please, and I'll send you the files.

Have you read this thread yet? http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/10288-piratesahoy-ftp/

I could not access the FTP until making the changes in the first post and the last page.

The level of detail is stunning! You have a ship to be proud of. :keith

I see you are on the COAS FTP! :onya I got it but don't quite know what to do with it. It looks like there are three versions. It's time for this old dog to learn some new tricks. :rumgone

Back