• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Brigantine Castell Friedrichsburg 1688, upgraded to 16 guns

you know, what i'm the most curious about is how you made the human figures. they're a royal pain in the nards. just tried to match them up with a background image or improvised completely?

Thanks a lot, guys! It's a pleasure to read such compliments! The only problem with ornaments was the faces of figures. They are not very realistic. But considering that it is my very first ship model and the fourth model at all, I think they're all right. And not to heavy on polygons.
2Nightwatcher: It is not very hard to make such sculptures. You're doing wonderful work on your Revenge, so the figurehead won't be a problem too. My way to make such figures is to make a low poly model from basic primitives at first (head was made of a sphere and torso of a box) then I used a "turbosmooth" modifier to make it more detailed and then an "optimize" modifier to remove unnecessary polygons.
2Morgan Terror: At first I tried to make them according to backgrounf image. But my ship plans are not enough detailed to see the whole figure. So there is a lot of improvisation too.

Fresh updates:
CF_16.jpg

CF_17.jpg

CF_18.jpg

CF_19.jpg

CF_20.jpg

Started working on rigging. I think another week or two and she'll be finished.
BTW, I decided to remove the front chasers from forecastle and place them on a main deck. So there are still 16 guns.

If the figures where excellent i lack the words to describe the shield, crone, ornaments and then.. . this lantern....

only WOW! :bow

i think the colors are a bit too perfect. it could use some minor irregularities in color, like nails and a more visible grain in the wood.

Flawless..I like the details, and the colors look correct for that age.I have a bunch of questions:

1) Would those brown things on the deck be a grate or a hatch.?
2) Does this ship not have catheads?
3) Are you sure, the ladder between the lower masts and the upper masts are fastened to the lower ladders on your drawing? I would only trust rope fastened to a sturdy thing like the mast, if I am to hang downwards getting up there - I mean this ladder:
http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/files/4602856952_89e3888bcc_o_166.jpg

4) I see something wrong above the starboard window in the aft, like the gold is not aligned to the window or something?
5) Are you going to make details of ropes hanging around the masts as well? Would be nice!
6) Also, could there please be more rope tightening the bowsprit to the hull in front?

Just about all I could find. Good work, Rider88! :dance

1. There are 2 hatches on a main deck, and 1 on a quarterdeck. The grate is on a forecastle deck. Everything is done according to a plan.
2. Can you explain what means "catheads"? I am not very good in sailing ships terminology in English.
3. I'm sure but that does not matter right now. My self made ladders are too heavy with polygons, so I removed them and will make COAS stock ladders with TOOL.
4. There is no cab interior on the screen, so the textures are laying incorrect.
5. Maybe. Depends on how much polygons will this model have near finish.
6. The rope tightening is unfinished on the screen. There will be much more of it including the bowsprit ropes.

Hope to finish her soon, because I'm a little bit tired of her. Want to switch to the next project soon :)

2. Can you explain what means "catheads"? I am not very good in sailing ships terminology in English.
They are those "crane-yard" things sticking out from the quarterdeck. I see them now, my mistake I missed them completely :rolleyes:

6. The rope tightening is unfinished on the screen. There will be much more of it including the bowsprit ropes.
Sounds great, it would add to the overall appearance :)

Hope to finish her soon, because I'm a little bit tired of her. Want to switch to the next project soon
smile.gif

Well, its up to you. But I really like her. I cannont speak for everybody, but I hope you will not release her, just because you are tired of her.
This model could be just as good as some of the models we just got from PotBS, if you really want to :)

An update at last:
- Finished details such as boat, ladders, gun ropes, etc.
- Finished cabin interior.
- Finished ornaments.
- Svivels mounted.
- Finished alternative color scheme.
- Polycount decreased a bit.
CF_25.jpg

CF_26.jpg

CF_27.jpg

CF_28.jpg

CF_29.jpg

CF_30.jpg

CF_31.jpg

CF_32.jpg

CF_33.jpg

My next steps would be finishing the rigging, general decreasing of polycount, adding third texture.
BTW, is there any ideas what the third texture should be? I am thinking about black upper part of the hull and red or gray lower part.

Thanks, guys! She is nearly finished. It may take some time to convert it correctly to .gm format, because it would be my very first try to do that. Although I can make myself the sailorpoints file, but don't know yet how to make a the path.

So, the model is now finished. Rigging is done and I started to work on scaling/converting, making locators, sailorspoints and third texture. I don't know how much time will it take, but I hope to finish it as soon as I can. And here are few final screenshots:
CF_35.jpg

CF_36.jpg

CF_37.jpg

well that's interesting. it suddenly looks a lot less like a banana. i like it. so how much of a burden on the game engine is it, compared to ships like the pearl? less? similar?

She looks absolutely beautiful, nice work! :keith
Just out of interest, how many triangles does the model use?

Just a heads-up on a couple of points:
  1. You need to have the flagpole attached as a separate model to the hull (like the masts etc), otherwise there will be problems with the third person camera at sea.
  2. The spanker sail needs to be modelled inside-out, because of this process which makes it behave correctly in-game.

Back