• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

I have nothing to do with the walk files, that's all Armada.
rolleyes.gif

In the meantime, here's a few progress shots of the QAR to keep you guys happy. Yes I know the color of the figurehead is off and the gold on the bow is too bright, I'm working on it. I've touched up the gold on the rest of the ship. Did more on the cabins. Did the deck and the railings. Not done yet, but she's getting there. The Pearl is sitting on standby waiting for Armada.
keith.gif

[attachment=7095:Fullscreen capture 942011 20109 PM.jpg] [attachment=7096:Fullscreen capture 942011 15321 PM.jpg] [attachment=7097:Fullscreen capture 942011 15250 PM.jpg]

Hi, I'm from Russia, help to understand the forum, I collect model ships and insert them into the game, playing pirates long ago and I love this game, help me find the right topic, thanks in advance.

Armada I need help. How exactly do you make an alpha channel to make holes in the sails? I thought I knew, but I got something wrong.
dunno.gif

Armada I need help. How exactly do you make an alpha channel to make holes in the sails? I thought I knew, but I got something wrong.
dunno.gif
And what different setting on the converter do I use?
I gave you details about alpha maps in this post:

I made a similar texture for her sails, but I need Armada to tell me how I can put holes in them.
[...]
I was hoping I could texture some skeletons on the stern like she has in the movie, but the properties of the texture just don't allow for it. Shame.
dunno.gif
To put transparent holes in the sails (or any texture, for that matter), you need to apply an alpha map in Photoshop.
You basically need to cut out the holes and make sure the background behind it is transparent. That's it.

Then, you need to use a different setting in TX Converter to use the alpha mapped texture.
Just make sure the top box (when converting TGA to TX) has "32bit (24bit colour)" selected, and the lower box has "32bit (8bit alpha, 24bit colour)" selected.
If you don't already use those settings, make sure you do for future conversions, as that gives the best quality.
Was that not clear enough? If so I'll try to better explain it.

One thing I forgot to mention was about saving the TGA files.
With GIMP, I always get the option to use 'RLE compression' when saving TGAs, but using it means TX converter will not recognise the file, so I avoid it.
Sometimes you need to 'Save As' to make sure RLE compression wasn't accidentally used the first time you saved the file.
I'm not sure how it is in Photoshop, but if you get the same option, make sure you don't use it.

Nope. Not clear enough.
dunno.gif
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and I don't have any trouble saving TGA files. I was wondering more about making an alpha channel. I'm obviously not doing it right. My transparent holes instead come out as non transparent white patches.

There's an issue with the window here. Any idea how to fix that?
dunno.gif

[attachment=7102:Fullscreen capture 952011 60556 AM.jpg]

What's wrong with the lights? Are you talking about in AOP? If so, you'll have to bug an AOP modder about that. Me and Armada are PotC modders.

I was wondering more about making an alpha channel. I'm obviously not doing it right. My transparent holes instead come out as non transparent white patches.
With GIMP that option appears under 'Layers -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel', so hopefully there's a similar command in Photoshop.
Besides, I thought you said you were good with PS! :razz

There's an issue with the window here. Any idea how to fix that?
dunno.gif
UV mapping error, easily fixed in Maya. :yes

Nope. Not clear enough.
dunno.gif
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and I don't have any trouble saving TGA files. I was wondering more about making an alpha channel. I'm obviously not doing it right. My transparent holes instead come out as non transparent white patches.

In PS: right hand "channels" and then down there "add new channel"

Oh to hell with it. I can't get it to work. I keep making an alpha channel but the damn sails won't be transparent.
urgh.gif

Screw it. She'll just have whole sails. I'm getting pissed off.
modding.gif

I could download GIMP, but gimp doesn't have a magic wand tool, so Idk how I'll select the holes.

Tell me step by step what you do.

Ugh. I downloaded GIMP and did what you said and it STILL isn't working.
334_flashing.gif
334_flashing.gif
334_flashing.gif
What am I doing wrong?

Take it easy mate, it's just a texture. Don't let yourself be defeated by an alpha channel! :no

First things first, you must apply the alpha channel before cutting out the holes, otherwise the holes will remain as the default background colour.
To cut the holes, just select them with whatever tool you need, and delete the contents. You should see a chequered background of grey squares, indicating that it's transparent.
Then, save the file, remembering not to use RLE compression if using GIMP. Can you confirm you can reach that stage, with either program?

To convert it to TX format, just use the settings I mentioned in TX Converter, and if you use the preview screen (double click the texture), you should be able to see through the holes.
If that works, then the holes will be transparent in-game as well. That's all there is to it.

BTW, I'm pretty sure GIMP does have a 'magic wand' type tool, among other advanced selection tools, so you should still be able to cut out the holes accurately.

Ok got the sails working. I think I need to make the holes smaller. She's looking too much like the cursed Pearl.

Back