• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

There. How do these sails look? Armada, is there a way to use more then one sail texture for a ship? I'm worried about the holes looking too uniform.

[attachment=7105:moddingNGINE 2011-09-06 00-25-29-04.jpg]

the only sails where i immediately noticed they had the same holes were the topgallants, but that was mostly because those particular holes look like regular damage. the rest actually looks pretty good to me.

I took Armada's cursed Pearl sails and patched up most of the holes and moved them around and shrunk them, and turned them from black to a dirty red. Then I took Saivous' QAR sail texture and blurred it, layered it over the Armada's modified sail and adjusted the opacity to make a nice dirty red sail. So basically I altered Aramda's and Saivous' textures and blended them together to make a texture all my own. I think I might desaturate them a tad.

Well just wait till you see my finished product.
icon_wink.gif

By the way, here's a clear shot of the Pearl's belfry.

[attachment=7108:4374425406_c66acee608_o.jpg]

Armada, is there a way to use more then one sail texture for a ship? I'm worried about the holes looking too uniform.
They look fine to me, don't worry too much about how similar they look.
All I would say is the holes should be a bit closer to the middle of the sail, from what I've seen: http://images.wikia.com/piratesonline/images/d/df/QueenAnnesRevenge.jpg
It's your decision in the end, though. You're doing great! :cheers

Oh, and thanks for the close-up of the Pearl's belfry. That's much more useful than before.

And just for the record, I am working on the Pearl and both ships' walk files, but I have a lot to do with other projects as well, and these ships aren't top priority.
So, for anyone asking about progress updates, please be patient.

Hey how come when I try to test the current GM model that I'm working on (the one you re-did the UV maps on) in the game, it appears without masts?

I bet you're relieved that I took these ships off your hands, huh?
doff.gif
It certainly helps that I don't have to do it all by me oneseys! :drunk

Hey how come when I try to test the current GM model that I'm working on (the one you re-did the UV maps on) in the game, it appears without masts?
No locators, remember? In fact, I'm surprised it even appears at all. Surely the game should just crash... :?

It is possible to put different sails on the main sails and the top sails, but not on the different masts.

An unrelated question: Does the HMS Surprise film version have the correct collision detection now?
When I tried the beta 1 Patch 6 version yesterday, I noticed the first person camera doesn't follow the deck properly at all.

An unrelated question: Does the HMS Surprise film version have the correct collision detection now?
When I tried the beta 1 Patch 6 version yesterday, I noticed the first person camera doesn't follow the deck properly at all.
I didn't think there were any collision detection issues with that ship. I know the bow wave is slightly off, though. :?
The camera problem is related to the 'failed experiment' with the global camera settings in Patch 6.
If that's been removed, and the camera is still too high, then it's because the camera locator compensated for the increased global settings.

Oh, and could you explain how to use two different sail textures (via code), in case LS wants to experiment with them?

-sigh- Now I wonder if I overdid it . . .

What say you? I'm a perfectionist with my work, so I'm never gonna be happy with this project. lol That's why I need people to tell me if it sucks or not.
rolleyes.gif

It's one thing looking at the textures in Photoshop and the GM viewer, but it's a whole different thing to look at them in game. They look a bit different in game. I thought the sails looked really good in PSE, but now looking at them in game . . .I don't know. I think I need to subtract a few wholes. But I might be wrong. What does everyone else think?

Here's the real QAR's sails:

[attachment=7115:379px-QAR_Profile.jpg] [attachment=7116:799px-Queen_Anne's_Revenge_trailer.jpg]

Compared to mine:

[attachment=7112:moddingNGINE 2011-09-07 02-51-50-43.jpg] [attachment=7113:moddingNGINE 2011-09-07 02-52-07-22.jpg] [attachment=7114:moddingNGINE 2011-09-07 02-52-25-18.jpg]

What say you? I'm a perfectionist with my work, so I'm never gonna be happy with this project. lol That's why I need people to tell me if it sucks or not.
rolleyes.gif

It's one thing looking at the textures in Photoshop and the GM viewer, but it's a whole different thing to look at them in game. They look a bit different in game. I thought the sails looked really good in PSE, but now looking at them in game . . .I don't know. I think I need to subtract a few wholes. But I might be wrong. What does everyone else think?

Here's the real QAR's sails:

[attachment=7115:379px-QAR_Profile.jpg] [attachment=7116:799px-Queen_Anne's_Revenge_trailer.jpg]

Compared to mine:

[attachment=7112:moddingNGINE 2011-09-07 02-51-50-43.jpg] [attachment=7113:moddingNGINE 2011-09-07 02-52-07-22.jpg] [attachment=7114:moddingNGINE 2011-09-07 02-52-25-18.jpg]
the people think that youre doing a greate job!!!
we really want to play in game with the new textures

Actually I'd say those sails look very good! They look much more like the real ones. :onya
There's only two things I'd say you could possibly improve:
  1. Add a few more dark patches here and there
  2. Make the vertical lines less noticeable.
Other than that, the holes now look spot on. Nice job!

Actually I'd say those sails look very good! They look much more like the real ones. :onya
There's only two things I'd say you could possibly improve:
  1. Add a few more dark patches here and there
  2. Make the vertical lines less noticeable.
Other than that, the holes now look spot on. Nice job!

Dammit. I was debating back and forth whether to have vertical lines or not. Looks like I decided wrong.
modding.gif

Yup yup. I was already gonna put more of that grime on the sails. I just wanted to see how the holes looked first.

Dammit. I was debating back and forth whether to have vertical lines or not. Looks like I decided wrong.
modding.gif
D'oh. Sorry about that. :eek:ops
I have a feeling that most sails didn't have those lines on them, but I'm not so sure. Certainly most film ships don't, but I can't consider that as a reliable source. xD:
I took them out (well, faded them into the background) of the 'pure white' sails a while ago, and the result looked much more like the name suggests.

what really makes the bell here are pictures from the Lego POTC BP

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/clock2.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/clocks.png/

Back