• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

High Priority Apothecary Quest Bugs ( contains Spoilers )

:ahoyAfter a further overhaul of the elements in mysterious plants I think I have covered the issues related to the plants quest mentioned in these threads.

[4.1] Bugs in Apothecary Quest
Apothecary quest [spoilers]
Bugs in "Mysterious Plants"
Issues with Apothecary and Church sidequest
New player: Help with a couple issues.
Extra NPCs missing

As well as the problems mentioned in the wiki walkthrough and some extra problems found during fixing/testing.
Wow! And wow!
Also...
WOW!!

In addition I have also added some "improvements" I previously mentioned.
You can remove those "quotation" marks; don't you think? ;)

Highlights are

Check your ship is in Greenford port before quest can start.
Dialogue (forced) during chase and a fix if you kill the spy during the chase.
Extra (optional) dialogues with Steven (some to reset the warehouse scene if you broke the chase).
Low chance of getting to buy a bow during collector quest even if you don't meet skills criteria. This gives a variation in dialogues with the indians (well I say dialogue but... more like a monologue)
Companion ships also stored during trip to Cartagena (to avoid starvation/mutiny issues).:drunk:rumgone

Finally I have added a merged Father Jerald dialogue file for the Jack Sparrow storyline,
as mentioned before I have NOT included the Greenford Commander here since Jack would not be seeking out the authorities!
I like it!
All of it!
all-of-it.jpg

However it is quite convoluted code and I may well have missed some combinations of possibilities so feel free to report anything that is still a problem.
It's sure to be much better than it was!
:bow :bow :bow

@pedrwyth, I'm working with merging files for the next fix and test started apothecary quest.
A minor bug appeared. It's a stringlog that would show up in upper left corner but gives strange letters.

See apothecary_dialog.c line 138 - 140:
Code:
Log_SetStringToLog(DLG_TEXT[35]);
            Log_SetStringToLog(DLG_TEXT[36]);
            Log_SetStringToLog(DLG_TEXT[37]);

These lines give in errorlog:
Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: dialogs\apothecary_dialog.c; line: 138
Global variable not found
RUNTIME ERROR - file: battle_interface\loginterface.c; line: 189
Unknown data type
RUNTIME ERROR - file: battle_interface\loginterface.c; line: 189
CreateMessage: Invalid Data

No crash, no other problem.

@pedrwyth, I'm working with merging files for the next fix and test started apothecary quest.
A minor bug appeared. It's a stringlog that would show up in upper left corner but gives strange letters.

Looks like it has been around as long as I have. (ie it was in version 3.4 doing the same.) I presume it was OK originally before something else was changed. DialogMerge suggests it would put the requisite text in place but not in practice. :shrug EDIT If I save the merged file it works but that cuts across the translation efforts so I'll keep looking ENDEDIT

It seems it wants to treat DLG_TEXT as a global variable.

There is another example at the last case in the file.

I've no immediate idea what the correct syntax would be to pull the text from the .h file for use as text not dialog. I'll play around a bit and see if I can work it out. I have got dialog.text contents to show up as a log string by putting that as the object in the Log_SetStringToLog call, but am struggling with extracting the text required here.:modding

Last edited:
Okay, let me know if you don't have time right now. I could release the new zip anyway and the fix can come in the future.

OK turns out the example at the foot of the file was the charm.

That effectively moves to a separate function still within the dialogue file which allows the extraction of the text without complaining about global variables. So following the same approach gives the same result so that the text is now displayed if you go down the "recover" health dialogue. No worries about when it might get added in - it has been like that for a Loooong time I think.

Attachments

• apothecary_dialog.c
    10.5 KB · Views: 283
A bit of extra polishing on Mysterious Plants sub quests. I hadn't previously looked at Indian Treasure and Thomas O'Reily - I didn't find actual problems but the beach scene didn't really work if you came from the sea. With the potion you could surrender it to the military but still apparently get Steven to examine it - so I have tweaked dialogue (and questbook text).

I say it because you can secrete 9 away and still get credit via the military for providing proof with only 1 (They don't know how many you dug up!)

Attachments

• Mysterious Plants2.7z
    93 KB · Views: 252
So a comment elsewhere about assumptions in a quest and in particular the ammo mod got me thinking about Mysterious Plants where some of the rewards are/were ammo based. Although it is not my quest I have reworked those elements to give you something else
Since it is vaguely related to the apothecary I have changed rewards to various apothecary meds.
I also found I had left bits of testing changes in and some just plain wrong bits of code in the files. :sick

Also reading the code I realised that the beach scene for Thomas would remain set after the timer for the quest ran out - so if next time you went to Grey Rock Bay at night.....:nogood

I have had a thought about adding a final exchange of the exorcist book for an apothecary med in Church Protection if anybody would be interested in that

That would complete access (other than random) to a set of the four - for Swindler's repurposing of Alan Smithee's meds to come into play
- otherwise I wouldn't bother.:shrug

Attachments

• Mysterious Plants3.7z
    88.5 KB · Views: 231
A comment in "quests_side.c" questions whether the quiver is in the ammo mod. It is - if ammo mod is disabled, the quiver does not exist.

In "Ardent", I dealt with this by making ammo mod rewards conditional on the ammo mod being enabled:
Code:
           if (ENABLE_AMMOMOD)
           {
               GiveItem2Character(PChar,"pistolbow");
               GiveItem2Character(PChar,"quiver");
               GiveItem2Character(PChar,"curare");
               GiveItem2Character(PChar,"tar");
               TakenItems(PChar, "bladearrows", 3);
           }
           else
           {
               GiveItem2Character(PChar,"jewelry16");
               if (!CheckCharacterItem(PChar, "pistolbow")) GiveItem2Character(PChar,"pistolbow");
               GiveItem2Character(PChar,"bladearrows");       // Arrows are not given to Indians if ammo mod is disabled, but they are still defined, and one is needed for bow rescue
           }
So if the ammo mod is enabled, you get a bow, some arrows, and all the accessories. If it's disabled, you get a gem necklace, an arrow, and a bow if you don't already have one.

You could do something similar for "Mysterious Plants" - only place the quiver if the ammo mod is enabled.

A comment in "quests_side.c" questions whether the quiver is in the ammo mod. It is - if ammo mod is disabled, the quiver does not exist.

In "Ardent", I dealt with this by making ammo mod rewards conditional on the ammo mod being enabled:
So if the ammo mod is enabled, you get a bow, some arrows, and all the accessories. If it's disabled, you get a gem necklace, an arrow, and a bow if you don't already have one.

You could do something similar for "Mysterious Plants" - only place the quiver if the ammo mod is enabled.
Yeh but I just figured it wouldn't be there and the other "rewards" in the treasure were enough anyway(you get a lot of vegetal with it's helpful effects - if you don't surrender it to the prison Commander) but left it as a nod to the writer's intentions. However I didn't really want to suggest if you turned the ammo mod off you got a different reward - but as I said it's not really up to me to decide.

You mean where you need four to increase your max health?
Yes one of them - the others you could get elsewhere if these changes were incorporated. So they would no longer be solely via finding them randomly.

Incidentally I had also changed Father Jerald's dialogue with mysterious plants donation to lead into church protection (as @Levis seemed to want) - you could still decline it of course but I overwrote that by mistake when I upgraded to the latest version to ensure consistency - whoops.

I'm not sure what happens if you use 'AddItemToTreasureAtLocation' to place an item which doesn't exist. The function adds attribute "treasure_box.items.(itemid)" to the location (after checking that the location does have a treasure box). Perhaps it will do nothing when you visit the treasure box, perhaps it will put a message in "error.log" or "compile.log" about a missing item, or perhaps it will do something worse...

To be safe, we could make placing the quiver conditional on the ammo mod:
Code:
if (ENABLE_AMMOMOD) AddItemToTreasureAtLocation("Greenford_suburb", "quiver", 1);

Yes one of them - the others you could get elsewhere if these changes were incorporated. So they would no longer be solely via finding them randomly.
Does seem nice to have one full set of items not be completely random...

OK here is an amended set of files for Church Protection. I have added a bronze cross near the body in the crypt because the story supposes you need one for exorcisms and as such he should have been carrying. Also if you do this sidequest by finding the stuff in the crypt first I think searching for one later is too much of an anti-climax. Doing it the other way round it (starting with the church) it does build into the story acquiring one.

I have tried to tidy the dialogues to better fit doing it either way and added a med as an additional reward for your efforts in the crypt. For those that don't want the supernatural they will just have to keep searching the chests etc and probably ignore the whole thing anyway. :shrug

I have led the Mysterious Plants donation into the start of this one since that appears to have been a large part of the motivation for attaching a donation to the start of that, you can always decline of course. :popcorn:

Attachments

• Church Protection.7z
    92.5 KB · Views: 224
Thanks - I've WinMerged that into the forthcoming update. (In particular, "quests_side.c", which now includes your updates in addition to recent fixes for quest officers to switch to standard dialog when their quests end.)

I have led the Mysterious Plants donation into the start of this one since that appears to have been a large part of the motivation for attaching a donation to the start of that, you can always decline of course. :popcorn:

yeah! you got this :D .
it's fun if during one sidequest another sidequest unlocks. This keeps you busy all the time :) .

Thanks for all the improvements to the quest, I will soon take a look at it (hopefully).

Hello guyz,

Sorry to rise up this topic but i was doing the Apothecary Quest (and sub-quests), everything was running more or less until :
I gone on Barbados Lighthouse beach, after doing Thomas O'reilly sub-quest, to meet Capt. Robert Cook.
I talk to my character then running on beach to board on ship.

Unfortunately, the game crash unexpectedly while we running on the beach.
i have no idea what that may happens at that moment...
Everytime i reload or try to do that, the game crash at same point.

I am joining my logs files if someone can help me or give me some lightening about that ?
And if anybody have ever face this problem too...

Thank you pals...

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 6
Back