• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Geralt of Rivia

About the sword, yes it bounces up and down and i was going to bring it up since it bugged me but you got to it first, if there is no way to make it more stable then i believe it shouldn't be in the build mod.

But the file should say online, in case a player want to use it despite the problem. ;)
My recommendation: DO add it to the Build Mod.
If necessary, add a toggle at the bottom of globals.c together with the other "included-but-not-good-enough" mods.
Otherwise it'll be forgotten and be left incompatible in two months or so... :unsure

You could always use it without the back position. It's a little long but a nice blade anyway.

I have began writing the story, here is what probably will be in the quest log in the beginning of the game:
I have been in this world for one year, in this year i have learned many things about my new temporary home, but i have many more things to learn.
Traditional witchers work here is not plentiful, monsters as far as i can tell do not exist, still i have managed to find jobs that require the skills of a Witcher.

After a few months, at one point i was looking for work and i overheard a rumour that a Woman with ashen hair going by the name Ciri has been making a name for her self, in a place called the New World more specifically a part of this continent, the Caribbean.

It seems lady luck has smiled at me. I saved the captain of a Lugger, a small fast ship, from thugs in the port of Amsterdam in return he gave me his ship, since he was going to retire anyway and sell it.
Can you imagine it me Geralt of Rivia, a Witcher Captain of a ship, i wonder what Yennefer, Ciri, Dandelion, Zoltan, Vesemir, Eskel and Lambert would think?
Had this offer came up to me a week ago i would have either sold the ship or asked for gold, but the timing was right, i needed a ship.
After, out of curiosity, he asked me what i need the ship for and when i mentioned the Caribbean and that i am a Witcher and what is that, he told that strange things happen in the Caribbean and that i may find monsters there, undead skeletons and monkeys mostly.

Today we see land, we are in the Caribbean, i must sell our cargo, repair the ship, buy a new spyglass and recruit sailors, all thanks to a storm that we got into in the voyage when we were close to our destination.
I hope i will also find information on Ciri during my time in the New World, find her and return to our world.

I miss them, Yennefer, Ciri...and Vesemir.

So, what do you think? ;)

Edit: Recruit not requite. :facepalm

Last edited:
Looks good! :onya Are you planning to make a full storyline out of this? It takes a bit more setting up, after which you have a lot more freedom to do whatever you like. It doesn't need to be as long as existing storylines, of course.

For comparison, here's Geralt with the sword on his back and on his hip:
geralt_walk1.jpg geralt_sword_hip.jpg

Which one do people prefer? The movement of the sword on the back does seem to be an engine limitation, and it's not just this sword. The battleaxe which is already in the game does something similar. (The only reason I didn't notice that before is that I never use the battleaxe. :D) That means odd movement of a back-mounted weapons is nothing new and has already been tolerated.

Looks good! :onya Are you planning to make a full storyline out of this? It takes a bit more setting up, after which you have a lot more freedom to do whatever you like. It doesn't need to be as long as existing storylines, of course.

Have a few ideas for this to make it a small main quest line.

So yes, i may make it a separate storyline. :yes

For comparison, here's Geralt with the sword on his back and on his hip:
View attachment 34563 View attachment 34564

Which one do people prefer? The movement of the sword on the back does seem to be an engine limitation, and it's not just this sword. The battleaxe which is already in the game does something similar. (The only reason I didn't notice that before is that I never use the battleaxe. :D) That means odd movement of a back-mounted weapons is nothing new and has already been tolerated.

About the sword, i don't mind the movement that much, so as @Pieter Boelen said, we should make a toggle in order to please all players.:doff

If no toggle is added, then i choose on the back since this is more faithful to the source material.

About the sword, i don't mind the movement that much, so as @Pieter Boelen said, we should make a toggle in order to please all players.
Well I didn't either but thought it was up to you.

Now that toggle: not sure which is the easiest way to do it as I had to change more than one file to make
the blade appear and switch hip/back mode. Maybe 2 different blades. One that switches model and the other one that doesn't.

If I do have time to implement a toggle, do we want the battleaxe included as well? If not, I'll probably not bother unless someone later plays as Geralt and complains about a bouncy sword. xD

If I do have time to implement a toggle, do we want the battleaxe included as well? If not, I'll probably not bother unless someone later plays as Geralt and complains about a bouncy sword. xD
If I read everyone here correctly, the general consensus is "bouncy is not perfect, but still better than not on the back at all".
If so, I'd suggest not bothering with the toggle until somebody complains.
Why create more work where 'none' would suffice? ;)

Correct @Pieter Boelen, at least for me.
I mean, if no one complaints why bother?
But i thought @Grey Roger didn't like it so then we should make it optional, if it's no problem then unless someone complaints, no toggle is needed. :cheeky

I'm not all that bothered; I just thought it was worth pointing out in case there is any way to fix it properly. The consensus therefore seems to be to keep the sword on the back and not bother with a toggle unless someone complains about the sword (or the battleaxe). So that's what I'll do.

@The Nameless Pirate: do you want a custom character for the introduction, or just stick with the standard Malcolm Hatcher? If you do want a custom character, what name and which model do you want? Also, have you any preference for Geralt's flags, or for a different start date?

@The Nameless Pirate: do you want a custom character for the introduction, or just stick with the standard Malcolm Hatcher? If you do want a custom character, what name and which model do you want? Also, have you any preference for Geralt's flags, or for a different start date?

Just stick with Malcolm Hatcher i will add characters from the Witcher games/books in the main quest but not in very start of the game. I don't have a preference for Geralt's flags and starting date, since he is a character from another world, maybe in the same period as the tales of a sea hawk storyline is.

OK, I'll remove the custom name and model from "StartStoryline.c".

"Tales of a Sea Hawk" is in the "Colonial Powers" period, which is from 1740 to 1769. "Tales of a Sea Hawk" itself starts in 1750. "Hoist The Colours" is in the same period and starts in 1740.

The model first became fully operational on Sunday, which was 16th June. So that's effectively his date of birth. How about have him start on 16th June? Pick a year between 1740 and 1769 if you want him in "Colonial Powers".

Done. This version of "initModels.c" adds the "model.date.day", "model.date.month" and "model.date.year" lines to set Geralt's start date.

Attachments

• initModels.c
    496.6 KB · Views: 152
Can you upload your renamed copy of "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay.c"?

Do you have access to the "POTC Modding" sub-forum? If so, you can have a look at:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/how-to-start-a-storyline.26646/
which is the development of my "Ardent" storyline, and also my own development from fledgeling modder to full storywriter. :D (The reason mine didn't work at first is that I'd mistyped "quests_reaction.c". :facepalm)

Back