• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll What of brothels?

Should brothels be in game

• Remove them all together

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'd say after the release of Build 14 Beta 1.
Before that, I'd say documentation is more important.

I like the idea of the Brothel (house of ill repute) it adds to the feel ofthe game and

I have added some realism to a couple of characters just for fun as well. Maybe not for the young ones. xD:

[attachment=4429:Fun.bmp]

Sorry Pieter - I'll do em as a .jpg nest time.
I remember also that there was some nude POTC textures a long time ago - may still be around if you really wanted to make the Brothels' bedroom "realistic" - something to offend many. Ha Ha :cheeky

I do know that file existed, but have never actually seen it myself.
Don't think it's around anymore...

Oh... and JPGs are cool. ;)

Well from the way I see it, we can safely skip this topic. There's nothing in New Horizons that says that a house of pleasure is the main feature; nor would our target audience appreciate any form of attention to detail in subjects as these.

Easier way to put it: Who here enjoys Victorian romance in all sophistication, splendour and civilised romanticism?

One hand raises and that's me, of course :p

Well, I don't know exactly what to expect from such detail, but it DOES sound potentially interesting. :yes

Just don't use them if you do not like them,
but as for necessity for quests i would like to point you to a article about CoAS borthels and they use to exterminate rats on ships.
had not yet the time to reinstall and check it out but looks promising, at least for the early game.

http://www.forum.thelib.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=3847.0

Title: Re: New Akella pirate game - City of abandoned ships
Post by: Suraknar on September 12, 2009, 11:32:03 am

Now, one of the more annoying things in the game are rats. They eat (or spoil) anything you can carry. Food, weapons, cargo. They are a REAL pain and very annoying.

Here's how to deal with them. You'll need some cash to get this done. Say, 30 to 50k, depending on how costly the prostitutes you like are. :)

Go to a brothel, the cheaper the better. Port Royale is expensive. I used the one on Martinique.

Find a lady inside and tell her that she is the most beautiful creature you've ever seen. If she tells you to quit the sweet talk, go to another lady. If she likes your flirting, note the name.

Now, go to the madame and tell her the name of this woman that you want. You then go upstairs for some rather silly moaning and a CENSORED screen. You must do this at least five times. DO NOT leave town during this sequence else the lady may leave the brothel. Instead, have sex, go sleep in the tavern and repeat. You will lose some reputation.

Beginning with the 5th encounter, speak with the lady after sex. Sooner or later (5-8 tries) she'll tell you that she has fallen for you and that she has information that may be important. She'll then tell you the location of a treasure that another captain/customer told her of. Write down the name, it will not appear in your logs.

There are four potential locations for this treasure. From just North of Peurto Bello to North of Belize. If you have trouble finding it, there's maps over at Pirates Ahoy that show where everything is. Or just ask here and I'll tell you. This could be considered mildy cheating - this is what all those in-game maps are for. So, use those if you want to play it straight.

The brothels in CoAS are a completly different thing to the brothels in PotC Build Mod... we added the brothels into PotC so its not us thinking about changing something in original game but something that was added later

Piracy is all about freedom, to capture the most possible freedom the player should get the choice. You've provided that choice, as well as giving a warning that there is an option to turn brothels on/off. I'm not sure I understand why you care that people who download your mod of their own free will might be offended and not play it. The only threat they pose to you is that they might demand further changes that could possibly alienate the people who love your mod as is. The poll response shows that most of your players like or don't mind the brothels. The world's second best rapper once made the point that in a free society, the only people that we should be offended by are those that take offense with people different from them and attempt by force to change their behavior and beliefs.

Now this option I found it interesting nobody brought up the point so far. If you want to be politically correct, there should also be male courtesans because you've got female main characters, and I'm sure there were gay pirates, too. And it's not fair to exclude the majority (female + gay population is greater than number of straight males) of the world's population the opportunity to indulge in their pirate fantasies. How about Johnny and Orlando's stunt doubles?

As far as what I would do, it's not really listed so I went with as is. Instead the choice of brothels or no brothels, I'd make it bare bones Brothel, where there is no sex or innuendo, instead you have things things like a Masseuse and preening services(cleaning and grooming so your pirate's outfit is spotless and he is well-shaven etc) I guess those services could be acceptable, and then of course all the quest npcs that are needed will be there, so there wouldn't be a chance that a player would try Assassin without brothel on and then get mad and give up, thinking there's bugs in your mod.

Then you have the FULL brothel option, where you can be free to put in all the "Interesting" features that you're worried about people being offended by. I found them to be overrated, even disadvantageous. Pay money to lose 1 game day, that's what it is hehe. But I will admit I was laughing at a lot of the dialog. Surely your crew would like to indulge also, so perhaps your purchases in the salon should have a boost to crew moral, but of course the bill of services for a full Frigate crew would be mighty expensive. Not sure if it's possible, I don't really care if it were added, but it was fun for me to write an extensive response to your poll.

The build 13 brothel is far better than the build 14 versions IMO. Why are all the half dressed girls streetwalking instead of being in the brothels?

What is better about the Build 13 ones? I wasn't aware of too much of a difference?

I do agree about the model assignments.
There's a bunch that really should be in the brothels and not on the streets.
Must remember to look at that when I get back. :yes

I thought they were the same place :shrug

Yep it is weird seeing half naked women walking around (except perhaps on Toruga) :rofl

Btw, for those of you that are curious, 18+
you can find the old POTC nude patch HERE!
:wp

Thank ye kindly Captain Maggee! :cheeky

Differences between the B13 and B14 brothels. I probably have a bad download, but in B13 you walk in and can chat with the girls, pay your money and go upstairs. Good G rated fun. In B14 the place is noisy, the girls won't chat, and when you do corner one and pay your money she walks away. No fun chat, no upstairs. Nothing. That is why B13 is better.

About Thagarr's patch. I've done those types of models in the past. Can it be uninstalled? Semi is better than full.

Back