• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll What of brothels?

Should brothels be in game

• Remove them all together

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Captain Maggee

Aussie Pirate
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
AHHHHH... Do you think we should make brothels enabled all the time (get rid of another option) :shrug

Short Jack Gold's argument is the exact reason why it is NOT on by default.
I think all stories should work, regardless of whether that mod is on or not.

What's so bad about brothels? :3 The dialogues we have for them now are more funny in a PG13 way than mature! (Wait till I rewrite them :p). Authentic, official Disney stuff can sometimes be way more vulgar/suggestive.

Okay it's a place of sin, but it also played a very big historical role... hint: cloak and dagger stuff.

Well we should definantly have a replacement building (ie a place with stairs) for when it isnt used as a brothel...

What's so bad about the brothels? Well, they're not so bad,
but I've known some members and modders who very much objected to them.

It's not like having a brothel-for-mild-jokes would make our young compatriots into Victorian ladies and gentlemen.

Awareness on gender and relationship issues start very young these days no-thanks to the Internet. No thanks to the Japanese as well.

Secondly, I'm sure with some talent in literacy, and maturity as adults, we can present the brothel as something other than what people think of when they see a house of pleasure.

We may not live in the US where the Constitution grants many and diverse rights to the citizen; our rights may be, or have been limited by our local society. But never in the world has banning something ever worked to deny a curious population from "interesting things". Singapore has and still is trying to do a lot of that, which makes that nation have a very stupid reputation in the global community. From chewing gum to the latest Bioware epic roleplaying game, those have fallen victim to various unreasonable censors, which in the end don't work at all.

Your only recourse to acquire such as Stargate SG-1, which is one of the best sci-fi running series, and Firefly? Piracy.

Does it make Singapore a better place to live in? Being there, I can assure you it makes things ten times worse. People don't need the government to tell them what to do or what to think. Imposing such controls merely means that the population will find other things to amuse themselves with. Such as how to sabotage your neighbours, and vulgar Japanese comics. It puts society ten or twenty years behind what it should be. Hell, people can't even communicate respectfully in English, and Singapore was a British colony. Shame.

Like it or not, parental controls don't ever stop children from embracing sex and violence as objects of fascination. It's part of growing up and learning how to deal with life's responsibilities. Denying access simply promotes a sort of perverse attraction to them which is far more damaging to society.

Leaving it there and playing the role of giving an objective historical presentation of a brothel and it's immense strategic value to its proprietors and clients?

That's a far better approach to questionable subjects.

Sorry, but there is something about moral I don't understand : In this game, it's normal to kill everyone we want but let the brothels opened seem to be a problem for some people. :rolleyes: :wp

I would say if someone doesn't want the brothels opened : don't play my quests :cheeky
The brothels existed. There were a lot in a town like Port Royal for instance.

At the moment, we should inform people : to play my quests they need to let the brothels opened..

If I have time (because my priority is to finish the Assassin and Bartolomeu Main Quests) I could make a small modification.

I don't think we even need the toggle for "brothels yes or no". It's PG13 stuff in there. It's mostly plush sofas :3

And see, brothels have strategic purpose!

This is a game about pirates....

As a pirate you will kill, you will plunder, you will drink....getting inside a brothel is nothing compared to those sins we commit with pleasure in this game....

It is only a matter of cultural marks that our parents and our countries insert in our minds...

They say: You can talk about ROBBERY, you can talk about ASSASSINATION, you can talk about DRUGS, but you cannot talk about SEX!

Then we ask: WHY?

And we are talking about vulgar speech only, we dont even have explicit sex scenes in this game....so, i see no need to let the brothels disabled in the game by default...

Well, thats my point of view....just to say :rolleyes:

It's hardly even vulgar and even if it IS considered to be that, it's only in a piratey way.
Buuuut.... some people DO object. We've had some great discussions about it in the past.

If there's so much objection for the above item then make the "house of courtesans" a social centre for Victorian era high-flyers, if civility is what they want.

Want to complain? Propose improvements. There's one. Romanticism is what makes regular piratey stuff acceptable to the masses.

I think you are missing my point.

As to killing etc. in a pirate game - yes of course that's what you do, and is what is intended.
However - the "user" [for want of a better word] have the option at the outset, to choose to buy or not to buy/play the game, so if they object to the so called violence, then they don't buy or play it. Easy choice.

Our situation is that we are hoping to possibly get the game re-issued, or some other avenue of increasing it's popularity.
Now as it stands, it has a "Disney" label - which infers a degree of "family friendly" with it.

So my point was that to have the brothel as "standard" could bring some adverse reaction to us linking Disney (and the other software developers of the game) to that.

As is - an option that has to be set by the user - then the situation is somewhat negated, or at least reduced by the player CHOOSING that option, and to do so would infer that the "user" in fact wanted to choose it.

I don't see our modpack actually being officially released as a game any time soon though.
If ever...

Now as it stands, it has a "Disney" label - which infers a degree of "family friendly" with it.

So my point was that to have the brothel as "standard" could bring some adverse reaction to us linking Disney (and the other software developers of the game) to that.

My point:

Who says the brothel has to be presented as a visage of lowlife and scum?

"Gentleman's club" instead as per depiction in, say, The Great Train Robbery?

For now, I went with "Off by default, quests should work with mod on or off".
This should require only minor modifications to the quests that could be limited to only when the mod is off.
I don't think we need to force this onto people by setting it always on
and making them unavoidable for storyline purposes.

On the other hand, I do not object to the "Victorian Gentlemen/Ladies' Club" suggestion at all.
In fact, if this modification would be done in a tasteful non-offensive way, I might reconsider my current opinion.

For now, the offensiveness value of certain very unrealistic and period incorrect womens' costumes is way higher than our childish little brothel. If someone can complain about these then I want to see complaints in that direction too. After all without that link, it's suggesting that people can indecently expose themselves in public which is termed flashing and not only is it a very foolish thing to do in the pre-modern era, it pretty much suggests prostitution.

I had a situation where Linkin Park was played at a restaurant for almost 2 months without any consumer complaints, despite excessive use of profanity.

Then they switched to an Avril Lavigne theme and within a week, someone curtly pointed out that one of the songs being played contained offensive language. It was a rather mild thing well camouflaged within appropriately prissy lyrics so everyone went huh? because Linkin Park with its million and one F words every song seemed to escape public opinion.

Until we get more objective reviews, we're not obliged to make any changes. After all, this topic has been discussed before, and I presume the end result decided upon in a diplomatic fashion, and we do have better things to do.

Such as... things pertaining to my 219 ships. And marketing. God knows that if we focused on the big things and the pioneering efforts, I wouldn't need to be here :3

Back