• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Wacky News Stories

"What happens in Russia, doesn't necessarily stay in Russia."
laugh.gif
icon_mrgreen1.gif

xD:

Just when you thought it was safe to go in the basement...

Family accidentally discover church under home

An inquisitive family have uncovered a bizarre church which has been hidden under their Victorian home in Shropshire for 100 years.

The Farla family made the discovery while investigating what was under a metre-long rectangle metal grid in their hallway.

The hole under the grid was just big enough for son Gareth, 20, to squeeze down and see what was under their living room.

And he couldn't believe his eyes when he saw the dark chapel complete with a large wooden cross on the floor.

But that was nothing compared the the shock the rest of the family got when he followed a staircase in the chapel and came out of a cupboard in the dining room.

There was also large chest which was filled with old newspapers dating back to the early 1900's and old wine and sherry bottles.

Speaking of the find Matthew Lathan, who also managed to squeeze down, said: "We only discovered it because we were drunkenly fooling around and decided to have a look at what was beneath the grid - It was amazing.

"The first thing we came across in the middle of the basement was an old, open chest and in it were old newspapers and bottles dating back to the 1930s.

"There were also some sort of brick seats around the walls which looked like something you might find in a church."

It's thought the room dates back to the 1700s and could have been used as a clandestine Catholic church.

Original story and pics here :
http://newslite.tv/2010/04/07/family-accidentally-discover-c.html

Whoa.
laugh.gif

Man, 81, accused of machete chase near taco stand

Police said an 81-year-old man was arrested after he chased another man around a Salem taco stand while armed with a machete. Salem police said Monday the man accused the taco stand owner of stealing a drill from his nearby business. When the taco stand owner denied it, the suspect left and returned with a machete. Lt. Dave Okada said the suspect chased the unidentified man around the stand several times before officers arrested him on accusations of menacing and attempted assault. He was booked into the Marion County Jail.

There were no injuries in Sunday's incident.

Gigantic sinkhole opens in Guatemala

The sides are so even and nicely rounded! :wp Some alien ship must have landed there! :? One with an excellent mining engineer! xD:

Actually an "expert" claims that the hole was at least partially man-made.

http://apexnewsnetwork.com/22284/guatemala-sinkhole-guatemala-crater-man-made-says-expert/

I tend to agree with the "leaking water pipes" scenario. It's pretty typical of a sinkhole in any city.

Doggone big thing...
8q.gif

I thought this pic was appropriate to the subject:

bottomless.jpg
xD:

They don't make bottomless pits like they used to! xD:

:cheers

Ok, the Guiness Stout I understand completely! :drunk

But Smurfs??? That's just the stuff of nightmares that is! :shock

Just remember

1 - papa smurf

1 - female smurf

mama smurf never seen

countable infinity - other smurfs

Poor Mama. :wp

she must be dropping smurfs like diarrhea

or something (massive) is going on behind the scenes with the single female.

Smurfs are creepy, 'nuff said.
laugh.gif
People flip out about priests being pervs, but those little dudes in white curvy hats always creeped me out WAY more.
yes.gif
Yes, I'm THAT strange.
icon_mrgreen1.gif

We get sinkholes in Edmonton all the time from busted pipes - the last big one was compliments of a sewer main. :eww

THIS JUST IN!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seattle, June 30 (UPI) -- A Seattle author
was named the winner of a contest to
create an opening sentence to begin the
worst possible novel.

Molly Ringle, who has published one
novel with two more on the way, was
declared the winner of the 28th annual
Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest, a bad-
writing contest sponsored by San Jose
State University, the California school
said.

"For the first month of Ricardo and
Felicity's affair, they greeted one another
at every stolen rendezvous with a kiss
-- a lengthy, ravenous kiss, Ricardo
lapping and sucking at Felicity's mouth
as if she were a giant cage-mounted
water bottle and he were the world's
thirstiest gerbil," Ringle's prize-winning
sentence read.

From UPI website, June 30, 2010.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mmmmm, gerbil love... :shock

:? ... I am so not even touching this one! :wp

now think back and remember seeing a gerbil/hamster while a kid

now let your mind focus on how a gerbil drinks

and as the saying goes

die trying

come to think of it, Catalina we need a smiley of a gerbil drinking :eww

HA, actually I found a funny illustration of two gerbils entangled in each others legs and both drinking from the same water bottle - the caption something like, Gerbil Manifesto - you are thirsty therefore I am thirsty. xD: But no, I have something a lot less ...ummm... Salacious :rofl planned.

And now on to the news:

Somali Pirate regains consciousness in a Maldives cemetery

They thought he was dead and were making arrangements to bury him. I love it where the reporter tells us that "...his condition is getting better...."

:? I should say so!!! xD:

Clumsy robber drops gun in lap of victim, who turns it on him, police say

A robbery victim had a force on her side other than police: The force of gravity.

One of two people trying to rob a 69-year-old woman in her car Friday night accidentally dropped his handgun into her lap. She grabbed the gun and turned it on the man, chasing him off, South Daytona police said.

The suspect also dropped a cell phone, which held pictures that helped the woman identify her robber to police, they said.

About 7 p.m. Friday, Carol J. Costello had just left the Walmart on Beville Road when a black Chevrolet Impala pulled in front and forced her to stop. A passenger armed with a silver semiautomatic handgun wrapped in a towel jumped out and tried to break the driver's-side window with the gun, police said.

When that didn't work, he leaped onto the hood and smashed a large hole in the windshield.

That's when the suspect's handgun fell through the hole and into Costello's lap. She grabbed the gun and aimed it at the suspect, who fled to the Impala.

Costello then tried to drive off, but her car struck the front of the suspects' car. She drove around the Impala and copied its tag number before it got away.

From a picture on the suspect's cell phone, Costello was able to identify the man she said banged the hole in her windshield and dropped his gun. Police identified the suspect as Raymond Lewis Shepard, 25, of Daytona Beach. The Impala driver has not been identified.

Original story here :
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/crime/os-robber-drops-gun-victims-lap-20100710,0,510593.story

Man Arrested For Breaking Into Bar, Selling Drinks
Suspect Served Drinks To Customers For Four Days Before Being Arrested

AUBURN, Calif. (CBS13) ― A Placer County man has been arrested after he broke into a shuttered bar, reopened the business and started selling drinks to unwitting customers, according to the Placer County Sheriff's department.

The Placer County Sheriff's department arrested 29-year-old Travis Kevie of Newcastle after his 4-day stint as the barkeep of the historic Valencia Club in Penryn which had been shutdown for more than a year.

Detective Jim Hudson became suspicious after reading about the Valencia Club's re-opening in an Auburn Journal newspaper article that featured a picture of Kevie and identified him as the club's new "owner/operator". Not only had Detective Hudson had previous run-ins with Kevie, he knew the Valencia Club's liquor license had been surrendered.

When Detective Hudson went to the bar to investigate, he found it open for business and customers at the bar. Kevie quickly went from behind the bar to behind bars.

Deputies describe Kevie as a transient. They say he broke into the Valencia Club and put an open sign in the window on July 16th. Kevie kicked off his business with a six-pack of beer he bought and resold at the club. He used his profits to buy more alcohol keeping the club open throughout the weekend serving about 30 customers a day, deputies say.

Kevie is being held in the Placer County Jail for burglary and selling alcohol without a license.

Original story here :
http://cbs13.com/local/penryn.bar.arrest.2.1817120.html

Back