• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Notice Unofficial Mod Contest for PiratesAhoy becoming of legal age!

begginfokillz

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
greetings! i had an idea of late, due to pirates ahoy becoming, as of 2021, and as far as my math compels me to understand it as, the legal age of consent, aka, 18 years of age, why not celebrate its amazing community with a community modding contest, funded by me, and hosted by me, and hopefully a higher up on the community can make it official.

to be clear, at the moment, this is a private venture, and it involves ONLY storm engine games, such as city of abandonware ships, and to each his own.

Anyways, the rules:

1: any work done must be original, and done by you, and teams are permitted. only a single person may claim prize if done as a team, so as to be easier on me, anyone who gets fucked over in a team setting, its on you to talk to a team leader.
2: the above applies to codework done too.
3: no hiding mods behind a paywall, and all entries are to be submitted in this thread, publicly.
4: the stuff must work, with no bugs, or bugs not found by time judging ends.
5: i will judge the mods, but i hope to have two other people help with judging, if possible. Further, despite me making most glorious and greatest mod for sea dogs to ever exist (i hope), i will not enter personally.
6: all entries must be made for the contest, nothing will be retroactive
7. There are two prizes, which will be handed out, of 25 usd each,, to first place and to first loser. There is no third place, at all, or runner ups. However, i might do a community choice if i got enough money by that point
8: prizes are paid out via paypal, by me. no one else is to take up the payroll of this.
9. Do not be a dick
10. No hatred allowed, but due to the nature of the era the sea dogs games take place in, period accurate racism is permitted, as long as its not overtly intended to cause issues. Aka, you CAN call slaves field negroes, humanoid cattle for sale, ect, but nothing modern or intentionally racist as a purpose of the mod.
11. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE ENGLISH! NO HEATHEN CYRILLIC!
12: all entries must be for storm engine games, preferably sea dogs to each his own, and/or city of abandoned ships, since i only own those two games at this time
13: there are the following categories to try and join: mods entered without being in any category (hereby called standard), PiratesAhoy! Greatest Hits, and Community Choice. Community Choice will be judged by a poll at end of contest. Any ties will be broken by me, so, please don't make it a tie. Community choice will be any mods entered, from any category, if it does not win first or second place.
14: all mods entered must designate itself in the title as entered into the contest. I will NOT go through every single mod in the forum for this. just ones i can see are entered.

the contest will begin taking entries on 1/21/2021 and end at midnight on 3/1/2021. Judging will begin when i wake up same day, and will end either in three days post end of entries being taken, or for five days if more people join in.

This community has been/will have been around 18 years this year, so two months of takin entries allows for people to show off their very best without russian. (and rushing)

Every mod might not be judged, due to my time constraints, so presentation and description can make all the difference

CLARIFICATION AND EDITS: rules are amended slightly, as of 1/23/2021: the nothing is retroactive thing is no longer in effect. Greatest hits is officially part of the contest, so its first place, first loser (aka second place), Greatest Hits of PiratesAhoy! and Community Choice. Clarification has been done to the rules as well.

Due to the extra category added, my budget has been changed for prizes. first place will get 25 usd via paypal, and 2nd place is 15 usd paypal, and greatest hits is 15 usd paypal. Community choice is also 15 usd paypal as a prize. Prizes will be 5 usd paypal each for anything else made in any future or current category to come.

Further, to compensate for this, the greatest hits category will only qualify mods that have been a big hit on pirates ahoy! for a long time (defined as at least 3 months as being an awesome and highly popular mod, before this contest, and during this contest)

good luck to any who enter, and i hope things go well.

Last edited:
Nice idea, @begginfokillz!
Hope to see some people joining in.

For example, @Grey Roger and @Jack Rackham for PotC, @Cerez for AoP:CT and @Myth for CoAS (I think).
Maybe even @DavyJack would be tempted to give something a try?
And how about @pedrwyth? He was doing great work last year too.

@The Nameless Pirate, how about putting this up on the Facebook page too; and try to get a bit more people to see this that way?
Could even go all the way and officially put something on ModDB too.

What sort of mods are eligible? For example, my biggest contribution is the "Ardent" storyline, for which you'd need PoTC plus the "New Horizons" mod. Even if I could separate out the whole storyline, it wouldn't work if you tried to graft it onto the stock game as it relies on a lot of stuff already in "New Horizons".

i got a copy of potc just yesterday.A friend got me it. do not ask where. So i think i can judge potc, but still, nothing is retroactive. Everything must be made for this contest.

However, if no one objects, i might do a Greatest Hits of Pirates Ahoy! category without a prize for it. or a non guaranteed prize, since i am trying to budget. It would only involve established and pre made mods on the forum.

also, does anyone wanna help judge? i need two good people, preferably with storm modder tags to show experience

@The Nameless Pirate, how about putting this up on the Facebook page too; and try to get a bit more people to see this that way?
Could even go all the way and officially put something on ModDB too.

Almost done, posted about it on Facebook, ModDB, and NexusMods. :cheers
I will post about it on Twitter and YouTube later.
(@Pieter Boelen check FB Messenger.)

also, does anyone wanna help judge? i need two good people, preferably with storm modder tags to show experience
Do you want me to mention this on the social media posts as well?

@begginfokillz: have you also installed "New Horizons", or just the original PoTC? You might not get many PoTC entries which will work on the stock game...

Not sure if I will be able to.
I will be on a tighter schedule in a few days, so I don't know if I will have the time for it.

Thank you for mentioning me - otherwise I would not have seen this topic. It is a pity that the site does not have a news feed that can be tracked without visiting the site. I have long wanted to create a huge patch for the COAS. But I'm not sure if this patch will pass under the conditions outlined above. Of course, I would add new functionality and new resources, but the emphasis would be on fixing problems.

NexusMods too.

YouTube is probably the hardest to stay informed from.
Until we have 1000 subscribers we don't have a community tab.
So if we want to post text a simple comment is all we can do.

it seems the qualification for just for contest is getting things hindered. should i change it or keep it as is?

i have changed and clarified rules a bit, but main thing is nothing is retroactive has been annulled. anything with a title showing its part of the contest, aka, as an entry, now qualifies.

A lot of code functions have been added in New Horizons, and the folder structure is different - for example, the stock game puts character definitions in "PROGRAM\Characters\English\init", while New Horizons puts them in "PROGRAM\Characters\init". There are also a lot of character, ship and weapon models added in New Horizons. So mods intended for New Horizons will almost certainly not work in the stock game, and mods intended for the stock game may not work in New Horizons.

Back