• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Trophies in the Free Play mode

That sort of peremptory demand is a good way to ask for a mod to not be included!

However, the amount of work you've put into this quest should not be wasted due to such pettiness on either side, so it's going in despite, not because of the demand. It's just a shame that it's not a trophy quest, which by definition would require the player to achieve some goal to earn the quest.

Besides, I want to see this quest! Normally I try not to allow personal feelings to influence what will go into an update, but this quest to find parts of a weapon and then build it brings back fond memories of an old game, "Lighthouse", which was a favourite of mine and I sometimes still dig it out. The main plot of the game is to find parts of a weapon, then build it and use it to defeat the villain, though you need to travel somewhat further to find the parts as they're scattered around various parts of a small archipelago. There are also smaller quests to repair various machines which involve finding or making parts in one area. (It's available on GoG. If you don't already have it, I recommend it, as the puzzles to fix things seem similar to those you like.)

So this new quest will go into the next update. Thanks! :onya

If your attitude towards every aspect of my work not had been so completely negative this situation hadn't occured.

I have never had a negative attitude towards your work. If you can point out where you believe I have, I will try to explain my true intentions at that point.

Everything was negative! You were looking for bad things wherever you could try to find them.
I didn't get any inspiration to continue uploading more mods I can tell you.

I've played the "New Invention" quest, and was duly impressed. :onya A nice cryptic clue on the map to always turn the same way when exploring the maze. Also a nice touch with the books and the librarian - you get a spoken warning if you pick up a book but he only seems to attack you if you try to keep it; he leaves you alone if you're wise enough to put the book back. And, for good measure, one of the books is "The Gold-Bug". So I explored the whole maze, looked at - but did not try to steal - the books, found what was needed, and am now the proud owner of the special weapon.

There were a couple of minor issues - yes, me being negative again :p so feel free to ignore this bit...
Is the Cartagena Library map supposed to show up in store (and presumably street trader) map lists? I promise I wasn't trying to find faults with the quest! What I was trying to find was a map of Aruba, having just accepted a cargo delivery from Speightstown to there, and instead found the library map. It can't be bought because the price is 0, so you're not going to get it prematurely.

Can you please upload "Animist3e.tga.tx"? It's not in the upload in post #55, and without it, the Librarian is plain grey - suitably spooky and ghostly, but not what you intended.

You don't have to like it but good to hear you did. :onya
The map isn't meant to show up anywhere else than given to you by the monk. Not sure how to avoid it in stores/traders or in chests.
Maybe you can help me there?

Attachments

• missing texture file.7z
    142.1 KB · Views: 96
Maps are set up by "InitMap", defined in "initItems.c". If the map does not have the "skiptrade" and "skipsell" attributes set specifically, the function sets them to be false. That way, you can buy and sell all regular maps.

The definition of "mapCartagena_Library" seems to be a straight copy of a normal map definition, so it does not have those attributes. Add these lines to it:
Code:
   curMap.skiptrade = true;
   curMap.skipsell = true;

Chests shouldn't be a problem. I've never seen a regular map in a random chest, and I loot them regularly, so normal maps are presumably set by default to never appear in chests.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I see now that I already used it for the maps in WR2.:pirate07:

Attachments

• initItems.c
    353.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Another quest which begins right at the start of the game is the one for the Gambler and Rogue. You fight a duel, are put in prison, and end up with one of two ships depending on how you escape. You can't avoid this quest and you can't keep your original choice of starting ship.

I've modified it so that your officer has a new dialog option, "True enough. We'll try to leave without any more trouble. Set sail at once!" That puts you at sea and does not trigger the quest. Also, I've added alternative questbook entries. At present the questbook assumes you are a male rogue, so I've added different lines for a female rogue and a gambler.

Sorry, but it had to be done... :wp

If you try to steal a book from Cartagena Library, the Librarian comes after you. If you make it out of the Library, you probably won't want to go back to face him again. Which means you'd better make sure that you don't need to go back in - don't just steal one book, steal them all!
stolen_books.jpg

No cheating was involved. No immortality, no console trickery, and no loading up with antidotes in advance. What was involved was a lot of use of the library map to plan each stage of the robbery.
To pre-empt any possible misunderstanding: this wasn't an attempt to find faults or poke holes in the quest. Rather, it's a way to give myself an extra challenge. If I'd just wanted to test the quest, I've already done it - mission accomplished. Going to all the effort to round up and steal all the books is a sort of compliment, and a reason for me to replay the quest many times in the future. I've already mentioned how "A New Invention" reminded me of an old favourite, "Lighthouse", and I found ways to add extra challenge to that game, too.

Okay... too bad those "valuable" books are of no value for the player. Maybe add something extra if you manage to steal all. Or at least a price so you can sell them.

The books are too special to be merely sold. But I'm sure you can come up with some suitable unique reward!

Have you ever read Terry Pratchett's books? They have their own special library and a very different scary Librarian.

No I had no idea there was already a scary Librarian.

If it's possible to steal ALL books it's certainly possible to get away with one or just a few.
Maybe selling them is good enough in those cases.
Have to be careful with an additional reward (for all books stolen) as we already have free perks and a very good weapon.

Wouldn't there be some religious person who wants to buy those books to have the shipped to the vatican for there hidden library?

The Librarian in Terry Pratchett's books is an orangutan. If he catches you mistreating books, he won't infect you with a disease, but he will try to twist your head off. The books also introduce the concept of L-Space, which basically means that all libraries in space and time are connected, and a skilled librarian can travel between them.

Stealing one book is easy because there's one in the chest in the central area, from where it's a short run to the exit. As for a reward for getting away with all the books, it doesn't need to be anything advantageous like money, perks or XP. Maybe you get to see a special place that can't be reached otherwise. Or you get some sort of special item which doesn't give a bonus, like the medals you can earn in some storylines.

It's just a retexture of the well-known Redmond dungeon but I continued and retextured
also the dead ends.
WOW! Those textures work REALLY surprisingly well! :shock

That gave the idea of a scary librarian being the threat in the library dungeon.
Oooh, that's a COOL look!
Taking full advantage of transparency on characters being possible now, eh?
That's really a GOOD use. :bow

If you really insist that the engineer gets "Gunman" and "Professional Gunman" right at the start, even if the player doesn't want to follow this quest, then so be it. But I do ask you to please reconsider, on several grounds:
Personally, I'm just sad NON-Engineer players aren't going to be able to play through what sounds to be quite the imaginative and fun story...

The Librarian in Terry Pratchett's books is an orangutan. If he catches you mistreating books, he won't infect you with a disease, but he will try to twist your head off. The books also introduce the concept of L-Space, which basically means that all libraries in space and time are connected, and a skilled librarian can travel between them.
Suddenly I'm a whooole lot less confused about that other post of yours...

Wouldn't there be some religious person who wants to buy those books to have the shipped to the vatican for there hidden library?
A secret continuation of the Library of Alexandria!

(I maaay have stolen that idea from Don Rosa's Donald Duck/Scrooge McDuck comics... :wp )

Just a note to say that @Jack Rackham and I are working on a short trophy quest for the gambler player type.
Fantastic news!
Glad to hear both of you are working on cool things again.
And the "Gambler", eh? You can definitely do fun things with those!
I'm immediately reminded of Han Solo and Lando Calrissian style shenanigans. :woot
(Of course you'll likely be coming up with something different and unique instead; but at least you're in good company. :cheeky )

Personally, I'm just sad NON-Engineer players aren't going to be able to play through what sounds to be quite the imaginative and fun story...
They'll get their own quests. After all, nobody but a Rogue or Gambler can play the quest which starts with a duel and ends with you sailing off in either a lugger or a galleon. Giving each player type a specific quest could encourage players to try different things - personally, even though I made that Rogue/Gambler start quest optional, the entire reason I sometimes play as Rogue or Gambler is to play the quest. Likewise, I don't think I ever played as an Engineer before @Jack Rackham's new quest, but I'll probably play it more often from now on.

They'll get their own quests.
I really wished we had more feedback from whatever player-base we've got.
The other day, I estimated there might be some 1000 people or so who tried the more recent mods.
But they're mostly very, VERY silent it seems.

How many times would people start a new game in this same game?
And especially different settings on the Free Play one...?

Back