• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Porting New Horizons to Maelstrom Engine

is the 3D-Updating of those working? There are some false "0" in the Weather-Tables which tell the game when to switch on lanterns and when not. That means that in some cases (especially Rain) the lanterns stay dark even if its night. I will also continue to add the necessary locators to all the models that don't have them yet.

BTW, do you know if the ENB-Graphics-Upgrades are still working with the Maelstrom engine?

is the 3D-Updating of those working? There are some false "0" in the Weather-Tables which tell the game when to switch on lanterns and when not. That means that in some cases (especially Rain) the lanterns stay dark even if its night. I will also continue to add the necessary locators to all the models that don't have them yet.

BTW, do you know if the ENB-Graphics-Upgrades are still working with the Maelstrom engine?

I guess @ChezJfrey will have the answer to that. Regarding lanterns, I haven't tested them in all situations, but I guess they will work.

I also made some fixes for the main character animation as well, increased movement speed to match CoAS and CT.
No, this won't work at all for my storylines. I have a lot of running characters timed to exactly fit POTC's running speed.

Here's just one example but one with Pchar and all his 30 pirates running to their respective cannons. Each individually timed.
just in time.jpg

No, this won't work at all for my storylines. I have a lot of running characters timed to exactly fit POTC's running speed.

Here's just one example but one with Pchar and all his 30 pirates running to their respective cannons. Each individually timed.
View attachment 39097
Is there a way to change it? unless you really want to stick with super slow characters, or maybe even set the pchar speed for that exact moment in the game

Is there a way to change it? unless you really want to stick with super slow characters, or maybe even set the pchar speed for that exact moment in the game
Teoretically it's possible to set pchars and all other of my characters that do some running in my adventures to POTC speed the moment they are about to run.
Certainly not something I'm looking forward to.

I have also a lot of timed walking characters if you're about to change that too.

I havn't heard anyone complain about the POTC running speed earlier.

If you think direct sail, then yes :)
What I thought is that it might be @ChezJfrey's own personal channel!

Oh...
And what fun do I spot there in the comment section?

For clarity's sake, I never ever said they don't have DirectSail.
I said that I wasn't sure if they had.
That's quite something different.

I've seen that the island models in CoAS (and maybe TEHO too) actually include the entirety of the archipelago.
The only difference in the 3D files is the point of origin (x,y,z) and the locators.
But those were still island-specific, so it would seem like you could sail from one island to another without reloading.
On arriving though, you wouldn't be able to moor as the locators were loaded for the previous island.
Reload to worldmap, then reload back again would take care of that though.
So that's indeed pretty close to DirectSail-behaviour; right there in the original game.

All that was missing was an auto-reload; and maybe some encounters along the way.
If the ERAS2 team managed to add that, I'm honestly very glad!
It would be my great wish that ALL cool features from PotC would be ported and shared with the other games in the series too.

Earlier today on Discord, I proposed a future where ALL these games could one day be merged into one UBER-GAME.
Of course that would be a BIG project; and changes would need to be made.
But it would be a an absolute dream come true!
And we could only ever accomplish it by working together.

Imagine having ONE game with "To Each His Own" as a storyline right next to "Hoist the Colours".
And where the CoAS sidequests would be available in addition to these: New Horizons Quests | PiratesAhoy!
In my humble opinion, THAT WOULD BE RUDDY BLOODY AWESOME!!! :dance

I havn't heard anyone complain about the POTC running speed earlier.
At least one person must've wanted it different:
Mod Release - Double Running Speed (now realistic 6.6 m/s)

But changing all those manual timings sounds like an EEEEPIC royal pain indeed!

I wonder if there's a way to change the running speed through code.
Maybe be switching character animation files?

Ideal solution from my side would be to have the speed hard-set to the PotC default for your storylines.
And then have an option in the menu somewhere that affects only all other storylines.

Unless...
Do you have timed parts in your free play sidequest work too?

Also, I'm not at all sure if switching the speed could be done so easily through code.
That'd need to be investigated; and might end up being a bit tricky.

Still, if it helps draw in younger people expecting something like newer games, it might be worth doing something with this eventually.
Perhaps in combination with @Hammie's engine upgrade?
Would be nice if that could be used to make the controls a bit less clunky too; and maybe add a jump button.

What I thought is that it might be @ChezJfrey's own personal channel!

Oh...
And what fun do I spot there in the comment section?

For clarity's sake, I never ever said they don't have DirectSail.
I said that I wasn't sure if they had.
That's quite something different.

I've seen that the island models in CoAS (and maybe TEHO too) actually include the entirety of the archipelago.
The only difference in the 3D files is the point of origin (x,y,z) and the locators.
But those were still island-specific, so it would seem like you could sail from one island to another without reloading.
On arriving though, you wouldn't be able to moor as the locators were loaded for the previous island.
Reload to worldmap, then reload back again would take care of that though.
So that's indeed pretty close to DirectSail-behaviour; right there in the original game.

All that was missing was an auto-reload; and maybe some encounters along the way.
If the ERAS2 team managed to add that, I'm honestly very glad!
It would be my great wish that ALL cool features from PotC would be ported and shared with the other games in the series too.

Earlier today on Discord, I proposed a future where ALL these games could one day be merged into one UBER-GAME.

Imagine having ONE game with "To Each His Own" as a storyline right next to "Hoist the Colours".
And where the CoAS sidequests would be available in addition to these: New Horizons Quests | PiratesAhoy!

Yes, it has all been implemented in GOF ERAS 2 mod. I know that there have been even buildings redesigned to match the real architecture of that period.
The channel is indeed Jeffrey's, but I don't think he uploads videos very often.

Ideal solution from my side would be to have the speed hard-set to the PotC default for your storylines.
And then have an option in the menu somewhere that affects only all other storylines.

Unless...

Also, I'm not at all sure if switching the speed could be done so easily through code.

Still, if it helps draw in younger people expecting something like newer games, it might be worth doing something with this eventually.
Would be nice if that could be used to make the controls a bit less clunky too; and maybe add a jump button.

@danitim1 has made the ani files so that the characters move faster like in COAS. I wanted to add that to my new update of NH on Maelstrom, but I give up at the moment since I don't want to break the storyline quests. I'm thankful to Jack Rackham that he pointed this out, because I haven't played any storyline in NH except for the Hoist the colours storyline.

Regarding your idea, I think it is an excellent thing. But we need to work more as a Team. For instance, there are problems that I encounter here that some more experienced coders could help me solve in a minute, and I have to work for weeks to solve it by myself. I repeat, I will buy a copy of Maelstrom for everyone who wants to help me port New Horizons. In the past I thought that it was impossible. But yesterday I played POTC on Maelstrom. It works 99% and I'm pretty sure Jeffrey didn't bother much in fixing any small bugs that occur because he had other things to do regarding the engine itself.

Unless...

Yea, thats what I thought at first, but its up to you guys, ill keep mine changed cuz I really dislike the slow pace that the character runs, I haven't changed anything regarding the walk speed though. There are more .ani files on the folder of the animations

I have finally fixed the missing fog for islands. Will be available with next update. Thanks to @ChezJfrey for giving me directions on how to do that.

REIa0Vl.png

xdO8pnV.png

I don't really follow this thread but I'm very confused, as it seems your "experiments" with the enginge sometimes show up in my game temporarily!

There was a day when for a short while I suddenly had the different compass and the attributes "day", "evening" etc. at the top just like in the screenshots here.

And most recently I sometimes have slightly weird colours, everything is a bit darker and the menus are foggy, like having a white fog layered over them. When this happens there is a very short screen message , something about the enginge.

It's confusing because I didn't know an engine works in a way that changes done by anybody can sometimes appear on my personal computer.

I don't really follow this thread but I'm very confused, as it seems your "experiments" with the enginge sometimes show up in my game temporarily!

There was a day when for a short while I suddenly had the different compass and the attributes "day", "evening" etc. at the top just like in the screenshots here.

And most recently I sometimes have slightly weird colours, everything is a bit darker and the menus are foggy, like having a white fog layered over them. When this happens there is a very short screen message , something about the enginge.

It's confusing because I didn't know an engine works in a way that changes done by anybody can sometimes appear on my personal computer.

I think I don't understand what you are trying to say. You use this Mod with Maelstrom engine or you are speaking about a different engine? This is a WIP project and it will be official when we release the first fully playable version.

Last edited:
I think I don't understand what you are trying to say. You use my this Mod with Maelstrom engine or you are speaking about a different engine? This is a WIP project and it will be official when we release the first fully playable version.
That's what I mean. You're working on this separately, what you're doing should in no way be connected to my own version of the game right now. Yet still one day I started my game and suddenly things looked the way they do in your screenshots here (the minimalistic compass in the lower left corner, some different ship icons, the attribute "day", "evening" etc. next to the time at the top of the screen), and it went back to normal the next time I started my game. And right now I have this slight issues with the graphic engine.

That's why I'm so confused.

That's what I mean. You're working on this separately, what you're doing should in no way be connected to my own version of the game right now. Yet still one day I started my game and suddenly things looked the way they do in your screenshots here (the minimalistic compass in the lower left corner, some different ship icons, the attribute "day", "evening" etc. next to the time at the top of the screen), and it went back to normal the next time I started my game. And right now I have this slight issues with the graphic engine.

That's why I'm so confused.

You must be using some cursed installation folder :D

Maybe.

It just happened again. You can see the slight fog effect I was talking about on the right side, at the buttons. Everything's a tiny bit more whitish. And then there's the green screen message. What the duck...

fog.png

Back