• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Period Weapons

Hopefully we can make an actually start on the Period Dependent Weapons mod soon and while we are at it fix the unique weapons from showing up on bandits :modding

That looks very good. Do you also have any information on when certain weapons went OUT of fashion again as well?
Otherwise we'd have a few weapons in the first period and DOZENS in the last.

Do you reckon you can do the same for the other weapons in Build 14 Alpha 10?
No pressure on those though; if *I* have to work on the Period Weapons mod,
I won't get started until December anyway.

Of course I'd prefer someone to get to work on it already.
It's not hard once the information is available.

That looks very good.

Thanks Pieter :woot

Do you also have any information on when certain weapons went OUT of fashion again as well?
Otherwise we'd have a few weapons in the first period and DOZENS in the last.

Do you reckon you can do the same for the other weapons in Build 14 Alpha 10?

Yeah, that shouldn't be too hard, I could expand what I have already done to include all weapons :onya

I was hoping to have some involvement with the weapons mod anyway. In my personal opinion, weapons are too cheap and plentiful, certainly in the first 2 periods. For example, a sword was always classed as someone's main possession and would have been the most expensive thing the common person would have owned.

As for firearms, the expensive wheellock weapons would have been out of financial reach for all but the very rich or Naval Officers, until the cheaper Flintlock weapons were introduced in the mid 1600's. If you owned a firearm in the first 2 periods, you would have been very powerful indeed.

This is what I would personally like to see implimented in the weapons mod:

1)Period relative weapons - the correct weapon for each period, becoming rarer in later periods as they broke or were superseded.

2)Higher pricing for all weapons

3)Making it much rarer to 'find' weapons

4)Weapons which are found to only be average, worn or broken

5)Weapons which are looted to only be average, worn or broken

6)Store to only sell average, worn or broken weapons - Only Blacksmith should be able to increase weapon to good or excellent. As well as being realistic, this will also increase Blacksmith use.

7)Higher pricing for weapon quality increase at blacksmith

8)Incorperate weapon quality decrease mod - I believe someone is working on a mod which decreases the quality of a weapon as it is used.

What does everyone think? As I say it's only a personal opinion.

Anyway, I should be able to help out with some of the above, so I wouldn't be expecting anyone else to work on these idea's :yes

Great work, SIM :onya

I checked out your file... I like :)

Now, you just need to make the same kind of work for the Build 14 weapons.. xD:

1. Absolutely agreed. That's the original idea of the Period Weapons mod in the first place. :yes

2. That sounds good, though it'll be tricky to balance this properly.
Higher prices for the weapons is more money looted and you gain money faster again.

3. Indeed; some weapons are just too easily found.
And some weapons (the unique ones) shouldn't be found AT ALL, but are there anyway.

4&5. Except maybe some quest/boss characters?
Problem though: lower level weapons on enemies makes them easier to defeat. :facepalm

6. Maybe Good weapons from store too? I agree on giving the blacksmith more of a purpose.
In the past, "Excellent" weapons were never found in stores or on looting; you'd HAVE to visit a blacksmith.
But not anymore, apparently.

7. Possibly; needs to be balanced properly in some way.

8. This mod is already in the game and has been for a long time.
It's working too; you'll notice enemies' blades breaking occasionally and them running away or fistfighting.
Player blade can break too. This depends on the usage and the fencing skills of player and enemy.
It doesn't depend on the actual weapon though.

Two other things that need to be done:

a. Categorizing weapon types for fighting animations
A simple virtual sailor found out we can disable animations for certain weapons,
so we could disable the inappropriate stabbing animation for axes, for example.
Animations would need to be grouped and linked to weapon groups.

b. Categorizing weapon types for character usage
Certain weapons should not be used by certain character types.
For example Breadknife's by the town guards.
We'd need to group the characters and weapons and make sure each group only uses appropriate weapons.
This could mean that random bandits and citizens get low-level simple weapons,
but naval captain get grand blades and such.

As for firearms, the expensive wheellock weapons would have been out of financial reach for all but the very rich or Naval Officers, until the cheaper Flintlock weapons were introduced in the mid 1600's. If you owned a firearm in the first 2 periods, you would have been very powerful indeed.
I would definitly like it if the Period Weapons mod would contribute to having a different "feel" in each period.
If guns are either not available or VERY rare and expensive in the first period(s),
that should definitly make the gameplay different than in the later periods.

1. Absolutely agreed. That's the original idea of the Period Weapons mod in the first place. :yes
Exellent :onya

2. That sounds good, though it'll be tricky to balance this properly.
Higher prices for the weapons is more money looted and you gain money faster again.
What about a higher buy price of weapons from stores, but a lower sell price to stores. Could that work?

3. Indeed; some weapons are just too easily found.
And some weapons (the unique ones) shouldn't be found AT ALL, but are there anyway.
:modding

4&5. Except maybe some quest/boss characters?
Problem though: lower level weapons on enemies makes them easier to defeat. :facepalm
Agreed, bosses should have high quality weapons. It's just that recently I have killed and looted peasents and found excellent weapons and firearms on them, neither of which they would have been able to afford and making it really easy to make money.

6. Maybe Good weapons from store too? I agree on giving the blacksmith more of a purpose.
In the past, "Excellent" weapons were never found in stores or on looting; you'd HAVE to visit a blacksmith.
But not anymore, apparently.
Yep, see above

7. Possibly; needs to be balanced properly in some way.

8. This mod is already in the game and has been for a long time.
It's working too; you'll notice enemies' blades breaking occasionally and them running away or fistfighting.
Player blade can break too. This depends on the usage and the fencing skills of player and enemy.
It doesn't depend on the actual weapon though.
Number 7 is something I would love to see. I didn't realize that the weapon degrigation mod was on as I can not seem to get it to work, but the other day I took a poor blade to be upgraded to excellent at the blacksmith's and it cost me 100 gold, which I think is ridiculously low.

Great work, SIM :onya

I checked out your file... I like :)

Thanks Bartolomeu, I'm going to take a break from POTC for a little while to work on a couple of other history projects for people, but I should have something for you regarding the time periods of the rest of the weapons in B14A10 before Christmas :)

Thanks Bartolomeu, I'm going to take a break from POTC for a little while to work on a couple of other history projects for people, but I should have something for you regarding the time periods of the rest of the weapons in B14A10 before Christmas :)

Great ! :onya

2. Maybe. Not sure how to code that, but it's worth a try. I won't be trying any time soon though.

7. Blade damage is already in there and it should be working. I tested it fairly recently.
Just keeping doing a lot of fighting, especially blocking and hitting other characters when they're blocking.
Your blade will decrease in quality and eventually break.
Try fighting with a Badly Worn blade for a long time and see what happens.

The upgrade price for weapons depends on ow good the base weapon is.
You might be able to upgrade a dagger to Excellent for 100 gold, but not a Solingen Rapier.

Bartolomeu, could you send me the weapon model and texture files, including the interface ones you made?
I think it's about time we actually put them in the game and try to get that Period Weapons mod started.

Yes, I will send you the interface pictures + weapon models + its textures over the next days..

But before install in the Bartolomeu video folder this video.

No need for a rush with the weapons; I just figured since you have most of the files anyway,
we might as well try and get this over and done with. :cheeky

Is that "Mansion" video still somewhere? I recall you posted that one when I was at sea
and I promised to include it when I'd get back.

Sim told us he was preparing something this month for the others weapons we already have in-game. But no news of that until now.. :?

No the Mansion video is only for the MOdDB site, you can see it in this site if you want :yes

Oh, that was just for on the ModDB. I have seen it there already. :yes
I thought there was a movie I was supposed to add to the game though.
Maybe it was an Assassin one? I don't remember. :modding

Maybe it was an Assassin one? I don't remember. :modding
No, it was for the Bartolomeu one and you downloaded it yesterday (Residence.zip)
In that time, you told me you couldn't download it because you were in the Caribbean. That's why I uploaded it again yesterday..

BTW : Monday, I will upload the resources for the weapons. :doff

Oh, that WAS the one I promised to add. I thought it was a new one.
Thanks for clarifying. :doff

I just re-watched your movies that are posted on the ModDB and they're really good.
But would it be at all possible for you to redo some shots now that we've got the Different Flags mod and the Storms are fixed again? :?

I just wished it were possible you could redo some shots now that we've got the Different Flags mod and the Storms are fixed again. :facepalm
Telling the true, I would prefer to focus my work only on the quests from now on.. Moreover, to modify a trailer, I need to keep the original videos (if I want the same quality) and I already deleted them from my computer.. :whipa

Thanks a lot, Bartolomeu! I should have everything I need now so I'll add it to my game soon. :woot

Back