• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Abandoned "North Star" Armed Whaler

Lord Horatio Nelson

1st Duke of Bronté
Storm Modder
About
The "North Star" is a 19th Century Armed Whaler.
She has more guns than most armed whalers, and has an excellent speed and cargo capacity. She is beautifully decorated, with an ornate and luxurious great cabin.
She has a modest crew capacity of 165, and a decent average turn rate of 62.
She is around the size of the USS Constitution, and is colored black, blue/green and gold.
Planned Features
None as of yet, progress just started.

Last edited:
New progress, she has 2 white stripes across her sides now, and the textures are mostly done.
upload_2021-3-8_9-45-24.png

Now I am filling in the gunports on the gundeck, as to make it more of a whaler.
And I (somehow/someway) broke my tooth while eating Pizza Pops...

So you've found what to with the USS Constitution? Nice! :cheers
Sorry about your tooth.

I have filled them in for the most part, but it's not smooth enough. It's too edgy like this, so I'll need to smooth it back to normal.

If possible, you might want to shrink the model - Charles W. Morgan is a lot smaller than USS Constitution!

In the film "Master and Commander", HMS Surprise tries to look like a whaler to lure Acheron into a boarding ambush. It's therefore reasonable to assume that a whaler of the period could look vaguely similar to "RN_Surprise". And frigates of the period looked similar to each other - see if you can tell a "Unite" class, an "Essex" class and an "Endymion" class apart in the game without using spyglass data to identify them! All of which means that if you can shrink your model to about the same size as "RN_Surprise", it could reasonably be the ship that HMS Surprise was trying to impersonate.

If possible, you might want to shrink the model - Charles W. Morgan is a lot smaller than USS Constitution!

In the film "Master and Commander", HMS Surprise tries to look like a whaler to lure Acheron into a boarding ambush. It's therefore reasonable to assume that a whaler of the period could look vaguely similar to "RN_Surprise". And frigates of the period looked similar to each other - see if you can tell a "Unite" class, an "Essex" class and an "Endymion" class apart in the game without using spyglass data to identify them! All of which means that if you can shrink your model to about the same size as "RN_Surprise", it could reasonably be the ship that HMS Surprise was trying to impersonate.
Yeah, true.

WAIT, NEW IMPORTANT NEWS/UPDATE. I HAVE FOUND A BETTER MODEL FOR THIS, AND THE MODEL I WAS USING BEFORE WILL NOT BE USED.

Yeah, I'll scale it down a bit, and I'll change some more important features as well.

upload_2021-3-8_12-34-41.png

I have trimmed many parts off the Gunports, and I'll either trim ALL remaining parts left on the gunports or I'll just fill them in from here, but differently from what I normally do.

Ah, I've found a different way to do this, but it's MUCH more complicated than the original way, but at least it's better. Since I'll be coloring this specific part to match the ship's DARK blue, and moving the white stripe higher on the side, than it will be difficult to notice this difference. Also, we do not have much shine shading on ships in POTC so it won't easily be noticed.
upload_2021-3-8_12-44-35.png

Wait... I just noticed this - When I fill in a gunport on one side, IT DOES IT TO THE OTHER SIDE TOO!!! YES!!! At least I don't have have to worry about having to do it on the other side manually.

This is the current progress, keep in mind it looks the exact same on each side. The black lines on there are just left overs, I'll dispose of them later.
upload_2021-3-8_13-8-4.png

All gunports (except 2 at the front, I am keeping those since I can't seem to fill them in properly) have been filled in, now I must trim all excess parts on them.

Back