• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ideas for the future!

Hello Gentelmen!

Well guys I heard that many people in the world before inventing to making somthing that should make things better, they dreamed about it. Well this night's dream was about POTC build mod.

The idea is simple- Once you on your ship in the sea world you would have a skill that will transport you to a longboat that will come from your vessel. Once it's launched your ship will anchor where you launched the longboat.

This skill will make landing on shore more realistic, For example: You have a treasure map and you found the island that contains it, but comming with your ship to close ashore will danger you ship because of the waters depths isnt that depth for your ship hull, so launch the longboat and sail to shore!

Well guys this is my idea which i think will add more great things into your Greatest project (in my opinion) POTC Build Mod.

Thanks for this great Mod!,

Yours,

Ilan

We've thought of a "launch boat" feature before. Might be possible, but would not be easy to accomplish.

The idea is simple- Once you on your ship in the sea world you would have a skill that will transport you to a longboat that will come from your vessel.
Well guys this is my idea which i think will add more great things into your Greatest project (in my opinion) POTC Build Mod.
We've thought of a "launch boat" feature before. Might be possible, but would not be easy to accomplish.
It would be darn great! If it might be accomplished in the near future! :thumbs1

As per usual: It would require someone to do it. But we don't have anyone.

(gingerly dipping his toe in the piranha pool): I have a fairly simple suggestion, but I'm not sure if this is the best place to post it. Anyway, here goes.

I'd like to see a set of dialogue files for female player-characters, to be used in scenarios where playing as a female is possible (i.e. not Hornblower or Woodes Rogers).

I'm sure no one wants to do voice-overs for each gender-specific audio clip, all of which assume the char. is male, but the text files should be pretty easy to do. In fact, I volunteer to do them...provided I can tell the diff between NPC dialogue/query and player response. A peek at several dialogue files has me wondering who's supposed to be talking. Sometimes it's perfectly obvious, sometimes it ain't quite, but if there's a special ASCII (or whatever) code to signify which is which, it doesn't show up in Notepad.

It seems to me that an optional set of female-specific dialogue files could be included in past & future releases--'Overwrite Existing Y/N? etc.--and enhance what everyone calls 'immersion' these days. It is a bit jarring to have your female character addressed, or referred to, as male. I don't speak or understand Dutch, but it seems something has already been done along these lines (guessing that 'Jouffrow' is roughly equivalent to 'young lady' (Y/N, Pieter?) ). If so, I'd be willing to extend this further. I can claim reasonable competence with the English language, and now that I'm retired I can probably find time to wade through this jungle, substituting e.g. 'lass' or 'madam' or whatever for 'lad', 'man', etc.

If this seems possible, and worth doing, I'm willing to take a cut at it.:dance

Indeed the dialog for male/female was only ever half-finished.
Ideally the existing dialogs should be modified so that they swap gender specifications properly.
That isn't very easy though. Alternatively, take the Devlin Opera storyline folder and put female-specific dialogs in there.

I'll give it a longer look and see if I can figure out what's to be done, and how. It's obvious that a mere 'Search and Replace' won't be enough. In Morrowind, using the Construction Set, it was easy to attach dialogue conditions (PC and NPC sex, location, faction & rank, quest stage etc. etc.), but I wouldn't have a clue how to go about it in POTC. At best, given my present understanding--or lack of same--I'm picturing a set of alternate dialogue files to overwrite the male-specific text files if and when they're wanted.
Until then...:checklist

Another idea is for additional side quests from the shipyard - the shipyard dialogue has the option to talk in a few cases already but this never seems to lead to anything - just back to getting your ship repaired.

Could we look at getting a side quest from the shipyard for a delivery quest - deliver a ship from one port to another - allow the possibility to steal the ship (reputation loss etc).

The code would need to check the player skill levels and available officer and an available place in the fleet to select a ship that they could sail as a companion or you could bring it up like the ship purchase screen and show as available if the criteria are all met.

I already did this With the fetch quest, but they are not aviable evertwhere yet. Working on that now.

Salutations! i just read the first page here, and seen an idea about upgrading the engine to dx9. Well, even the engine of COAS is dx8 only o_O basically its a same engine with I think only a modified memory usage, and modified dx8 renderer DLL.

BUT: Many guys built custom "wrapper" DLL's for certain games, which was proven useful for almost all old dx8 games, which wrappers "wrap" dx8 functions and call in dx9 at the end of the process, making the games -actually- run on dx9.

Where you can force at least in your video card lots of useful things, like full screen antialiasing, (gravely missing from COAS for example) and such.

Also many great FX mods like ENB and SweetFX are also dx9 based, and can improve the gameplay wastly.

I use COAS with a dx8 version ENB, some visual enhancements, but sadly its nothing compared to the dx9 versions.

While all -current- dx8 -> dx9 wrappers was failed to wrap strom engine, (instant crash) I was able to wrap it to OpenGL! o_O with the WineD3D wrapper for windows, thus I can force AA.

The bad side is that the WineD3D wrapper for windows simply makes the storm engine really slow. So either the OpenGL transformation is not a good solution, or the WineD3D itself is very slow.

But: we need a dx8 -> dx9 wrapper instead, that would even speed up a bit the storm engine.

The problem is, that a certain programmer is needed to build such a wrapper, which is compatible with the engine.
Some games like the current dx8 to dx9 wrappers, some are not... The storm engine hates it, and CTDs at the start. But this is maybe because these wrappers include very few functions to wrap, directly developed for certain games, and luckily good for others.

I am not yet such a genius, but if anyone comes out with a new dx8 to dx9 wrapper for something, we can test it for POTC and COAS, or if someone knows how to write one, that would be wonderful. There are guides on the net how to do it, but I need to gain a lot more levels :D to begin composing one.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone here has even the remotest clue on how to do that.

Then it will be the promise of the future :D

Other thing, if ANYONE can get the source code for the game renderer DLL, that would be wonderful also...There was talk about a release of the storm engine source code.

Im not sure about POTC, but COAS uses a dx8renderer.dll
As storm uses C, and it -should- run dx8 effects implemented in the code...

I just have to look into how they do that.

The way they implemented the lame post processing effects in the shader files looks promising.

Another thing: Im sure someone already did this, but for people more than 4g of ram, this can help handle big ship battles in POTC : a 4gb exe patcher.

I have one working, an old one :D not sure where I'd got it from.

Other thing, if ANYONE can get the source code for the game renderer DLL, that would be wonderful also...There was talk about a release of the storm engine source code.
We do have some modified source code from CoAS, but only the German Modding Team ever got anywhere with that.
It is all Chinese to me.

Another thing: Im sure someone already did this, but for people more than 4g of ram, this can help handle big ship battles in POTC : a 4gb exe patcher.
I think that was done not so long ago by @PotMaster.

That is not entirely correct. @PotMaster modified the EXE to use 8mb for the memory stack and heap, if I recall correctly.

I for one am interested in a 4 GB patch as it is when many ships are around that POTC falls into single digit frame rates and becomes unplayable.

Can we then make one EXE with both changes applied? Does that work at all? :confused:

Would be nice to see a few features from GOF implemented on New horizons.

Some may include a more challenging economy, such as that in GOF (more realistic costs & realistic commodity weights) to make loot worth less and have more value in them in some way.

It's quite easy to make 1 million within the first hour of playing. But wouldn't it be nicer to spend more than 1 day to earn this 1 million the hard way, then you can really feel you earned it?!

Another nice feature in GOF/COAS is being able to attack a town from outside the jungle by using your men and pressing Enter command, then Attack town.

Perhaps if the challenging economy would be applied, then a treasure fleet once a month would also be nice to motivate hungry privateers to go and hunt them treasure galleons that are on their way to Spain.

If you're thinking about rebelancing, that is quite simple from a coding perspective but requires a lot of trial-and-error.
It is also requires some serious thinking through. You would be very welcome to do what you can on that yourself and we'll support you wherever we can.

Some towns have a fort that you can access from the shore.
That is a completely independent feature from "Capture Colonies" though and was introduced before that feature was even added to the game.

There are already Treasure Fleets that you can encounter at sea and they're laden with Gold and Silver.
However, they appear randomly.

I know nothing about coding so I just share whatever ideas come to mind :)
As for the testing of Jack sparrow, i'll give it a try on whatever characters I choose to play and incase i run into errors, i'll post a detailed feedback.

Back