• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ideas for the future!

hmm I never thought about that actually.. I always assumed that changing 1 number can make a big difference in the gaming experience.. I wouldn't want to impose any aliens to jump aboard my ship lol

but if there's something I would understand doing then i wouldn't mind working on the numbers part

What numbers would you want to have changed? I can certainly tell you where to find them.

At the moment maybe just an increase in the max HP of character since at the start of the game is quite hard to survive.
But I was thinking maximum 30-40% increase only, not too much.

Other than that, the economy changes would be nice but as you said previously it could cause more complications so better we wait for Hearts of Oak :)

[idea] Treasure and Treasure maps.

So does PotC currently have anything along these lines? One of the things i really enjoyed about Pirates!(microprose older game) was the way it handled finding hidden treasure. The downside of this is obvious, more player cash, so i think i would only be interested in this feature in the Build mod IF the player also had more expensive stuff to invest in, stuff like land and property perhaps, so this would be an extensive mod addition.

Why bother? well Pirates and Treasure :pirate They just go together and what else do we use the shovel for currently.

[working outline]

To find a treasures location requires the map, now this could involve a number of steps for large treasure (so multiple bits of the map needed) or less complexity for small treasure hauls (one map etc).

'maps' could also be written clues, or combinations of drawings and clues. To get the treasure you need a shovel/s and crew with them, and to know the exact location.

The location could be anywhere on the world map IF that could work or maybe 'borrowed' locations that are not the same as the typical random hidden items locations but maybe work in the same way (just require you have the map location and shovel to 'find' them).

Anyway i'm sure this kind of thing has been discussed, and it was just from thinking about that old Pirates! game and what it did well.

Indeed I'm quite happy with the Treasure Quest we've already got.
Especially after I fixed them, added red X-es on the map and already required either a Spade or Pickaxe for most of them.

Only thing I'd still want to do is to tie them with Tavern affairs (drinking/spreading rumours) instead of the current random town folk.
But that is for future development.

I'm sure I saw something about this somewhere....but can't find it anymore so here goes :p
Do you think it would be possible for nations to capture other nations colonies? That would make the game more dynamic.
Or maybe make some random event that if you have your own colonies there is a chance that some warships will spawn at that colony and attack the fort and you got x days to get back to safe the colony. I mean if you capture a colony the country it belonged to would surely send ships to recapture it.

Do you think it would be possible for nations to capture other nations colonies?
Definitely possible; the functions to have a colony taken over by another nation already exist.

This is definitely a feature I'd like to see make its way into the game one day.
But it isn't a quick 5-minute job to add it, so the question is: Who is going to make this happen?
I've got a fair idea of what needs doing and where to make changes. But what I don't have is the opportunity to do it.

I'll be quite happy to facilitate somebody else giving it a shot though. :doff

Yes, it could probably be done, though it wouldn't be easy. Anyway, it has been done before. "Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales" did exactly that - after a fairly minimal story, you had to try to conquer the whole Caribbean. Enemy ships would spawn at one of your colonies and you had x days to get back to save it, x depending on whether you'd invested in a bigger fort and whether you'd left someone competent in charge. It became a colossal game of whack-a-mole.

(Looks like @Pieter Boelen was replying at the same time as me. :ninja)

Hmm ok :) well it would definitly make the game more interesting (as the colonies fall like flies before my mighty squadron I'd like a bit more resistance :p).
Another idea: Could it be possible to make an enemy warfleet randomly spawn after you captured/plunder a colony? (like the coastguard when smuggling). Maybe make spawnrate more likely the amount of time you stay on a colony after plundering it or just a fixed chance after capture.
@Pieter Boelen : I got some spare time now after exams so I might be able to give it a look if you can help me started

It became a colossal game of whack-a-mole.
Indeed great care would need to be taken to prevent it from becoming super-annoying.
Something like:
- Add a rumour WELL before the time so you'll know it's coming and can do something about it
- Include ships on Shore Leave in the "defence force" so that attacks may be won without you having to be there to "save the day"

It is definitely something that could have a huge impact on the game and that could get quite complicated before its "final state".
But it is also a potentially cool feature and doing a "basic version" as proof of concept should be doable.

Another idea: Could it be possible to make an enemy warfleet randomly spawn after you captured/plunder a colony? (like the coastguard when smuggling). Maybe make spawnrate more likely the amount of time you stay on a colony after plundering it or just a fixed chance after capture.
Should be possible. You could even reuse that exact Smuggling Coastguard function for that.

@Pieter Boelen : I got some spare time now after exams so I might be able to give it a look if you can help me started
Once you decided what you would like to do, just make a new thread and start asking questions. :doff

Something I noticed:
When you increase your relation with a certain faction you sometimes get a sword as a reward for reaching a certain rank. However, the stats on these swords are not really balanced well in my opinion.

Examples (all at excellent rating, dmg/pierce/block):
Dutch rewards:
1st reward: Dutch Admirality Sword: 31/42, 55%, 45%
2nd reward: Solingen Rapier: 26/40, 53%, 38%

Portuguese:
1st reward: Portuguese Officer's Sword: 23/34, 39%, 37%
2nd reward: Damascus Shamshir: 31/58, 54%, 30%

The first Dutch reward sword is pretty OP (it has stats equalt to end-game swords) and is really easy to get.
Compared to the 2nd reward it is superior to it.
Compare it to the Portuguese first reward and the Portuguese one is utter trash.
I think the numbers need a bit more tweaking somewhere in the future (at least the Dutch one).

@Wolve: That is not very difficult. The stats themselves are defined in PROGRAM\ITEMS\initItems.c ; all you need to do is to change the numbers.
The rewards are defined in PROGRAM\NK.c; if you search for the relevant sword IDs, you'll find them soon enough.
That is also where you could swap the "Dutch Admiralty Sword" and "Solingen Rapier" around, for example.

Ok, thanks for telling :)
I'll check them out and try to come up with a more equal distribution and post it here. I think it would be fair to have the rewards be a bit better than sword you just find laying around (making it more attractive to work on your relations) but they should be roughly equal to what you can find around that time (the level you are) you can get the reward.

The reward swords are unique and generally cannot be found at random.
Their stats can be comparable to swords that are generally available though.
But they look different and have a certain "cool" factor. :cheeky

But they look different and have a certain "cool" factor. :cheeky
Yes I totally agree :) that's why I think they should be a little better (marginally) since you can't get them otherwise and the better your relation with a faction is, the better the sword you get.

Yes I totally agree :) that's why I think they should be a little better (marginally) since you can't get them otherwise and the better your relation with a faction is, the better the sword you get.
Feel free to change it. :doff

Back