• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Heavy Sloop of War, 1797

Looks good. The only problem is that the lowest square sail on the mizzenmast has to be removed. It never would have been used, even if it was shown on a sail plan. The stays'ls and heads'ls also look very small for that time period. Edit: The Stays'ls should look more like the ones we put on the new Constitution.

Looks great Craiggo! :) that was quick work! but post captain is right, the lowest square sail on the mizzenmast should be removed. also the staysails shouldnt be triangular, and they should be taller I think. I used the sailplan of the USS Wasp to build the rig if it is any help.
http://historylink101.com/bw/sailing_ships/SailingShipsVZ/images/IMG_5560_s2a.jpg
eventually the ensign should be raised to the top of the gaff, and maybe made a tad smaller, but that is easy enough to do at a later time.
EDIT: looks like the pennant could do with some adjusting too. something like I did for the Essex would be great http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/images/32-gun-frigate-uss-essex#imagebox

OK she is all done!

VolageHull2.jpg

VolageHull3.jpg

NewVolageHull2.jpg

How do I upload the files when the FTP is down?

She looks fantastic mate, nice work! :onya

At the moment, the FTP is read only, and it will likely disappear completely in a couple of months. Your best bet at the moment is to use a free file hosting service like DropBox or zShare, or something similar.

The Black and white one looks very good, but I think that the blue and red looks a little strange to my eye.
Were you able to mess with the rigging a little?

great work craiggo! but the red version really should have black in place of the blue, like the other versions do. judging by the last screen she still needs rigging fixes. glad to see you are using the latest hull file now.

The above link does not work? I will have some time tomorrow to fix the mizzen and fix the french texture unless you can give me a good link.

Are you using Google Chrome? I've found that it won't download TGA files, for some reason. Using Firefox or IE should work properly.

The link just goes to a blank page when using Chrome. :shrug

Sorry about the mizzen main that should not exist on any ship i'v seen. I don't know why I put it there? :facepalm As for the texture colors, I couldn't find your so I made my own. Just an experiment from an earlier trend of French ships.

I got the download to work but now I have another problem. Since the mizzen main yard is not attached to the spanker boom like in previous ships I worked on, without a sail, it does not turn with the topsail. It just stays stationary??? And I don't remember how to get the spanker boom to go the correct direction with the wind do you? Any advice?

That square on the mizzen is actually called a crossjack (pronounced cro'jack by seamen) and sails of that sort were used... they just weren't used often. They only became really popular during the era of the clipper ships and beyond.

Thanks for the lesson Post Captain. I am always trying to better my knoledge about these things. You would think after all of the books I read (Aubrey/Maturin Novels, Alexander Kent Novels, Horatio Hornblower Novels) I would know the rigging and terms well now. :read

But about that Crossjack problem?

I'm afraid I'm more stumped than you are about the immobile yard. (Also called the crossjack yard, by the way) The sail should still be removed.

You would think after all of the books I read (Aubrey/Maturin Novels, Alexander Kent Novels, Horatio Hornblower Novels) I would know the rigging and terms well now.

Don't worry about that... There's a point where that stuff stops being covered by novels. If you're interested in delving deeper into the arcane secrets of seamanship, I'd recommend Seamanship in the Age of Sail by John H. Harland and illustrated by Mark Myers.

Thank you sir, I think I shall investigate further. Looks like a fine book.

Armada, Armstrong, any advice on the crossjack yard being fixed?

Back