• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Fixing the Build Mod Ships

Crickey! How am I supposed to keep up with all of these Surprises? It's like a Surprise party! :yoho

I know, it's pretty confusing, considering how many versions we've had now. :wacko:

I don't know if the gun caliber on all ships are higher than they should be, but a ship the size of the surprise/ boussole would have carried long 12s and 24pdr carronades on the top deck at most. a frigate inbetween the size of the surprise and constitution would carry long 18s as a main battery with 32 pdr carronades up top, and the constitution carried long 24s on the main and 32 pdr or maybe 42 pdr carronades up top. And a ship the boussole definately couldn't carry long 32s, that would be a stretch for even the constitution! its alittle confusing because ships carried either smaller caliber guns or carronades on the upper deck, and carried larger ones in the main battery. I think that carronades were could fire roughly 3 times as heavy shot for small guns, and twice as heavy for large ones. but even then, it doesn't work like that for every one, maybe the way itis now is best. here is another way it might work though;
long 32pdr= 68 pdr carronade
long 24 pdr= 42 pdr carronade
long 18pdr= 42 pdr carronade= sometimes 32pdr carronades
long 12 pdr= 32 pdr carronade
long 9 pdr = 24pdr carronade= sometimes 32 pdr carronades
long 6 pdr= 18 pdr carronade
long 4 pdr= 12 pdr carronade

Well looking at the code the game gives us in Ships.init.c, the game doesn't seem to allow for 'different' guns on one ship(maybe i'm mistaken in this?) and just has one type of cannon and one set caliber at any one time, so we are pretty limited on how accurate we can be here i think. So the trick is using that limit in a way that benifits gameplay, and just from looking at the file i think the modders have done a good overall in getting the mix about as good as can be(i did notice a couple of pure fantasy type settings - i think the Willamsted Trials picked up on those and made comment!).

Have a look at the Ship_Mod excel file i've recently updated(and posted around here and on the ftp) for a good oversight on all the details for the ships we currently have and see what you think could be tweaked based on historical accuracy etc.

AFAIK POTC only allows one gun type per ship. So all guns are the same size and type with the max size allowed in the game being 32 lbs.

Carronades should not even be in POTC since they weren't invented until 1769.

AFAIK POTC only allows one gun type per ship. So all guns are the same size and type with the max size allowed in the game being 32 lbs.

Carronades should not even be in POTC since they weren't invented until 1769.

xD: yeah exactly! Over the years the various modders have done an amazing job with this game, looking back on how vanilla PotC was, but it is still just a game and even with the push towards greater realism(of which i completely approve), where suitable we just have to accept it IS a game, so it will never be a full simulation 100% accurate for the period. Having said that i am going to try to mod 'scurvy' into the game at some point(and make having 'fruit' as required as food and rum), so the quest for greater realism is an ongoing one. :sail

Something else i've been noticing in build 14 is the general artifacts seen on many of the ships in the game. I'll post a pic of the AdvancedWarship with the area these graphical arifacts are nearly always seen in. I think this is 'new', as in didn't used to be an issue in build 12 full, so was wondering what the cause is? It seems to only be seen looking through the spyglass(i think!), but it's very noticble when you do get it. Is this a known 'evil' and just something we have to live with in the new better detailed models etc?

AdvancedWarshipArtifacts.jpg

The still picture doesn't really show the effect, but the area on that ship highlighted has it's gun ports glitching(open/close kind of glitch, constant flickering between those states), the figurehead area of the bow doing this weird flickering and the upper deck/gunrail area the same. Anyone else see these kind of things in game?

artifact is something it most certainly isn't, i know that much.

it's a glitch which is caused by long camera range. there will be such a small distance between components at that camera distance that the game thinks the components are in the same place, making them glitch through each other. it's nothing to worry about.

i have noticed that some of the stock ships, including the newer pinnace of war, have a ridiculous amount of guns for their size. the pinnace of war has over 70 cannons, while it is in fact smaller than the ship you posted there, which has only around 50. it's kinda silly.

Yeah, that's some sort of distance thing. The forts do it too. :shrug

Are you talking about the class 2 Pinnace of War (heavylineship1)? That thing has 80 12 pounders. Catching a broadside from it is like getting caught in a hailstorm. I like it, but if one's opponents have larger cannons they tend to sit just out of range and pummel it.

ah, good. it's one of those gatling boats then. at least it's balanced. it still looks rather silly next to one of the newer ships though.

Yeah, that's some sort of distance thing. The forts do it too. :shrug

Yeah Forts, Islands themselves in certain places!! And most of the square riggers around that section i circled in the advanced warship pic. On the fore&aft ships, you only see it on the figurehead. A quick experiment i just did showed it is not just through the spyglass you see it, but you can see it directly depending on the angle of view etc.

below i'll try to attach a video(taken in fraps and only 30 secs long - so not sure how clear it will appear!) of the Advanced warship with the glitches i mentioned above and i have a quick look at another ship where you can see the glitching on the figurehead - has it always done this? Going from my ropey memory i can't remember it being there in build 12 full?

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p199/BlackBart06/BlackBartsVideos/?action=view&current=Engine2011-08-0715-13-01-31.mp4

You'll need to expand it for 'fullscreen' to have a chance of seeing what i mean. I had thought maybe it was just my graphics driver or some hardware thing with my gpu?

look, it's not a bug. it's not even something to be worried about. it's just someone being overzealous with the details and giving a ship bits that are too tiny for the engine to render without them going through each other.

so we all get it then?.......if so that resolves my concerns over it being my drivers :)

Edit: just sticking thiose here so i can remember it for later work on the ship files:

RESOURCE/INI/TEXTS/ENGLISH/Common.ini - place for all correct ship names.

TOOL is acting up and I have yet to find a cure. It seems to be working ok for everything except the hull GM. It corrupts it every time. I have tried every compatibility mode with no luck. I have deleted it and reinstalled. I have deleted the rar file and re dl'ed it and it still corrupts GMs.

This is puzzling because TOOL worked fine for months and suddenly it does not work. Is there some special setting somewhere I have forgotten?

The Spanish War Galleon has the camera set far too high. The one I looked at is Galeonw. Of course my TOOL corrupted the GM when I tried to save it. :hmm

There is what appears to be a pinnace with 2 sails per mast in Morgan Terror's signature pic. Ours have 3 sails per mast. I have been trying to convert a pinnace to 2 sails per mast with good luck except for the mainsail. It just will not go down close enough to the deck. The mainsail on on the foremast goes down nicely. Is there some special technique to this?

Believe me, that's given me grief many times. It's mostly down to the lower sail locators, plus the rope locators attached to them.
You need to try different combinations until you get the right effect. It's frustrating, and I can't even remember the right method myself. :facepalm

I've also found it's to do with the ends of the ropes which link to the hull. If you look at most of the newer ships, the rope ends are much lower down than the stock ships ropes are.
It's hard to explain, so you just need to look at different ships to get the idea. :shrug

Yes, it is frustrating and tedious. Methinks I know the rules, but they are .....more like guidelines. :j3

The class 1 Waller Pinnace is my test ship because it seems to be a unique model. When I transferred the masts and sails from another pinnace to it the sails were buried deep in the hull. Now they are all good except for the mainsail. I'd like to get it just a bit lower, but it doesn't look too bad as is, except for the jib sail. Anyhoo, here is where it is now. The 1st screenie shows the class 1 Waller Pinnace, a class 4 Heavy Pinnace, and a class 2 East Indiaman.

I like what you've done with that pinnace! Certainly gives the ship a different look. :onya
I'd suggest moving all the yards down a bit. For one thing, that might help to lower the mainsail, and the other reason is to leave a little more space at the top of the masts.
I agree about the jib sail; that could do with a steeper gradient between the foremast and the bowsprit, and the lower edge of the triangle should be shorter (does that make sense?).

you did have jibs like that, actually. maybe you could improve the look a bit if you'd attached the forward point to the tip of the bowsprit rather than the spritmast.

Back