• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Fixing the Build Mod Ships

I moved on to the Jamaicaship1 last night, but this will make me go back to the Waller Pinnace. The jib sails are not "sailt" and when their corners are set, they stay put instead of swinging all over the place.

I HATE working on AOP ships! The numbering system is completely different and ropes and sails go shooting off in all directions. All it needs is flames and it would look like the ship is exploding.:rumgone

Had a new ship encouter during a 'land ho!' load, and got the 'beep' sound. All i could see was a pirate flotilla which included 2x East Indiamen, 1x light East Indiaman and a Fast War Galleon. There might have been other ships around, so i'm not sure if any of those give that 'beep' sound?

I know what you mean, some of the AoP ships are a pain to work with (and even a pain to look at).
I wouldn't mind losing one or two of them either, because some of them have HUGE open decks with undersized cannons and pretty much no extra detail on deck.
Battleship3 and its sisters are guilty of this waste-of-space design, and even ships like the much smaller Barqem1 are just as bad. :walkplank

EDIT: Black Bart, the only ship I'm aware of which causes the beep is the 'Gaffboomgaleoth' model.
Can you check your compile log and see if that ship was listed in your encounter?

I know what you mean, some of the AoP ships are a pain to work with (and even a pain to look at).
I wouldn't mind losing one or two of them either, because some of them have HUGE open decks with undersized cannons and pretty much no extra detail on deck.
Battleship3 and its sisters are guilty of this waste-of-space design, and even ships like the much smaller Barqem1 are just as bad. :walkplank

Sounds a good idea(getting rid of any ugly and difficult to work with AoP ships) to me :aye:

EDIT: Black Bart, the only ship I'm aware of which causes the beep is the 'Gaffboomgaleoth' model.
Can you check your compile log and see if that ship was listed in your encounter?

Sure, when/if i can shake this pirate flotilla! :sail

Edit: just made it with a bit of 'sailing into the wind' tactics(they had with the wind speed over me). And yes it was the GAFFBOOMGALEOTH, somewhere out of sight.

Sooo, when are you going to dump these ships? I like the idea of not doing some of them. :j1

Oh! What is the time frame for the East Indiaman in POTC? It seems they were around for over 200 years. I am asking because I almost have the jib repaired and am wondering if jib sails are appropriate or not. They don't have them now.

And yes it was the GAFFBOOMGALEOTH, somewhere out of sight.
Oh good, at least that's the only offender. It's due to be scrapped, anyway.

Sooo, when are you going to dump these ships? I like the idea of not doing some of them. :j1
I don't blame you. Anyway, we probably shouldn't 'officially' lose them just yet (we need to look at what gaps that will create), but for now consider them scrapped. ;)

the east indiaman must have changed in design over two centuries. there's no way it wouldn't have.

Oh! What is the time frame for the East Indiaman in POTC? It seems they were around for over 200 years. I am asking because I almost have the jib repaired and am wondering if jib sails are appropriate or not. They don't have them now.
That's an interesting point about the East Indiaman. The ones we have in-game can appear in periods 1-4 (remember that 0 is the first period), but to me they seem a bit out of date by the late 18th century.
The real ones existed from the 17th to 19th centuries, so as Morgan said, they must have changed in design quite drastically by the latter period.
That said, I do still think the game's Indiamen should have jib sails, just because they look sort of mid-way through the design evolution.
What would be nice eventually is if we could have some new Indiamen for the early and late periods, but that's just in an ideal world. :rolleyes:

On a related note, I found this passage from Wikipedia which describes one of the design changes:
East Indiamen were designed to carry both passengers and goods and to defend themselves against piracy, and so constituted a special class of ship. In the period of the Napoleonic Wars they were often painted to resemble warships; an attacker could not be sure if gunports were real or merely paint, and some carried sizeable armaments. A number of these ships were in fact acquired by the Royal Navy, and in some cases they successfully fought off attacks by the French.
The part about painted gunports is very interesting, and would even be easy for us to add to a late Indiaman texture. :cheeky

it would be especially amusing if they'd look the same as the more military versions in order to have it work as actually intended in real life: scare the crap out of players who are unable to count the guns with a bad spyglass.

That's an interesting site you've found. It shows the design evolution very nicely!
Going by those early paintings, it seems that even without jib sails, our Indiamen aren't perfect. They need a different type of bowsprit (not sure what it's called), more like that of the Mordaunt.

Something else I picked up was this: does anyone else think the ship in this painting somewhat resembles Lineship5?
This got me thinking about how the Indiamen should be encountered.
The WarGalleon models resemble the earliest Indiaman, and with some rigging changes, could be used as such in Periods 1-2.
Lineship5 could be modified (stats-wise) for use as a more advanced Indiaman in Period 2.
Then I guess we have RN_Indiaman for use in Periods 3-4. However, it needs a major upgrade to remove that 'bloated corvette' look.
That ship might also be a candidate for the fake gunports idea. Should be easy enough to remove a few guns and put textured gunports in their place. :cheeky
After that, we're out of options for Period 5. There's nothing I can find that resembles a late Indiaman anywhere. :facepalm

I'm going to vote against the RN_Indiaman. It's too tall and too short. Taking the old Surprise and stretching it this way and that would make more sense.

Lineship5 isn't too far off. There is a vague resemblance.

After a quick search it appears that the bowsprit from warship11 might fit, but its textures are wrong and it has these ropes hanging off it.

Can anyone give me some pointers on vants? There are more places to put them than there are vants it seems.

I wuz wrong about the warship11 bowsprit. Someone will have to make one. :shrug

I took another look at RN_Indiaman and maybe it could be lowered deeper in the water to give it a better look.

That's why I said RN_Indiaman needs a MAJOR upgrade if it is to be kept as an Indiaman.
However, your idea of building one on top of a resized frigate does sound better. At least that way, the quality is pretty decent before I've even started. :cheeky
The old HMS_Surprise would be a good base, but maybe Jack Harrison's original Surprise1 (the beeping one) would be just as good.

Lineship5 could also be adjusted if necessary. At least it looks somewhat like an Indiaman.

For the vants rigging, you could look at the Mordaunt for reference. That's similarly rigged to what the Indiaman should look like.

My problem with vants is that they can only be named with a single digit. As in "vant1l and vant1r". That gives a total of 10 vants per ship and sometimes 14 or more are wanted. They can not be named "vant12l and vant12r" for example.

Ah. I see. Well that's annoying. :facepalm
I'd say the best thing to do is use a couple of ropes in place of the last vants (presumably on the mizzenmast).
That way, at least you get the idea from a distance.

I'm nearly done with the Jamaicaship1. I might have fixed its lateen so it doesn't foul the mast too. Look at the direction the wind is blowing.

On another note, I found wargaleon4 inside the wargaleon2 folder! :eek: Can someone else please confirm that I did this to myself? This could explain some errors I've been getting.

Nice work on the lateen! It's good to see one like that for a change (is it even a 'lateen' any more?).
I assume you still want a modified bowsprit mast? I'll see what I can conjure up with Maya.

I've no idea what you're on about with the WarGalleon folders. They seem fine to me. :shrug

About the idea of a new Indiaman, I'm now toying with the idea of making something like this by modifying the Constitution model.
In fact, I placed that image on top of the Constitution in Maya, and it's amazing how similar in size and shape they are!
Anyway, that's a project for another day. I still have the pinnace upgrades to finish, as well as a few improvements to other ships, which you'll hear more about soon.

That is what was on the ship. All I did was play with ropes for it. A few other ships have that style and it appears to be historical.

I'm going to finish the Jamaicaship1 and then try to transfer its rigging to the wargalleons. When a new bowsprit comes along it will be added to them all. This game has suddenly become almost unplayable, so I'm in a hurry to finish these ships while I can.

There are 4 wargalleons. When I looked at them there were only 3 and the wargalleon4 folder was in the wargalleon2 folder. In my stock patch 6 ships folder all 4 of them are separate. So, I would just like some confirmation that I did this to myself with my constant changes, or if it came this way from another patch or install. I have yet to see any wargalleons in game and this could be the reason.

That is a very nice painting! :2up

A correctly installed Patch 6 has four separate WarGalleon folders and none in subfolders.
Sounds like you accidentally moved one of the folders inside another...

Back