• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Fixing the Build Mod Ships

Well, I know for a fact there were some files that could be edited on some people's computers, but not other people's computers. :facepalm

Actually, it might be the HIGHER specs computers that have problems with some files. Which makes even less sense.
Just how rebellious and unruly are these programs? They go against almost all feasible logic. :wacko:
Perhaps it is that .NET framework which makes the difference. I don't really want to test that theory myself, but maybe those who CAN open 'corrupt' files in TOOL could.
Which reminds me: who, if anyone, can still open such files?

I have tried looking at the light frigate GMs in tool with no luck. Build 14, KevinAtlanta's fix, even Build 13 do not work for me. :shrug Actually corvette1 works but the others do not.

It's about time we had some more news about fixes, so here's some reverse lighting repair work I've done: http://www.pyratesah...0Captain/Fixes/ :dance
I've repaired Corvette1_47, whose hull and mast1 were affected, but also the lifeboat you see moored at ports. And I plan to do more!
Here's how the Corvette now looks (notice I've also replaced the on-board lifeboat):

Corvette1_47_fixed.jpg

Does anyone know of any other ships which have reverse lighting, besides those mentioned in the clean-up list?
These two weren't flagged as having problems, so there might be more of them that slipped through the system...

Even though this is an old directX 8 game engine, I'm still really impressed by the quality of artwork you guys have managed to get in the game ships :bow

That one there's a beauty Armada :yes

In terms of looking for reverse lighting issues, is there an easy way to ID ships in the game, as that might help more than my, "It had 4 masts and was a square-rigger, and quite big.", directions otherwise ;)

Yes, even with the engine's limitations, the quality of some of the ships now is absolutely stunning. :keith

There's no quick way of finding the ID of a ship you see, as far as I know. I think there's some code you can use to display you own ship's ID, but I can't remember what it is.
One way is to use GM Viewer to find a ship that matches the one you see in-game.
Also with that program, there's a tell-tale hint for reverse lighting if the 'Materials' used are 'Part' (as opposed to 'Lambert' or 'Blinn' for example), visible in a box on the far left of the screen.
That doesn't mean that ALL lighting problems involve that material, which is why we have to identify some of them in-game.

Yeah, GMViewer is the best way to id a ship.

I gotta get that ship! :woot

Reverse lighting? Most ships have it to some degree. The packet brig has it. Oh! How about repairing the masts on the fast galleons and the carrack? The Grand Schooner has it on the spars.

Armada, do you have the reworked light frigates yet?

That's the most annoying part: most ships have odds and ends with reverse lighting in some form or other. :modding
Thanks for pointing those out. I'll add them to my list of ships to be repaired.
Ideally, we need to update the main clean-up list, so that it reflects more specific problems like these.

About the light frigates, as I said in another thread, I'm getting them now. :yes

Note that all ship IDs in the scene are logged in compile.log;
if you open compile.log right after you saw the ship you want to know the ID of, you should be able to find it in there.
You can look later as well, but then if you reload a lot from sea to shore/map and back,
you might not know anymore WHICH of the sets of ships to look in.

The hull and masts can be opened. It looks like the parts that can't be opened are related to the wind direction finder dial next to the wheel.

Could someone give me a quick run down on what the different cannon type(Longgun/Carronade etc) mean in terms of lb(pound) rating?

for exmple a CANNON_TYPE_LONG_LBS4 = a 4lb cannon

But a CANNON_TYPE_CARRONADE_LBS24 = a 12lb cannon?(so half it's rating?)

What are the rules for all the cannon types in relation to this kind of thing?

The long gun was the standard cannon for most ships. I believe the carronades came along late and are not period correct for most ships.

As modeled in game the carronades fire a shot twice the weight a much shorter distance than a long gun with the same reload time.

12 lb long gun vs 24 lb carronade = carronade fires a ball that is twice as heavy

12 lb long gun vs 24 lb carronade = carronade might only have 3/5th of the range of the long gun

12lb lon gun vs 24 lb carronade = same reload time

12 lb long vs 24 lb carronade = carronade uses more powder

You might want to use carronades if your long guns seem ineffective. But you would want to have a fast maneuverable ship since your opponent could just stand off out of range and pound you.

I was thinking more along the lines in the code, as to why a carronade's given poundage is counted as half, pretty much as in the examples i gave above(from the Ship_init.c file). To be more exact the code for a:

refship.Cannon = CANNON_TYPE_LONG_LBS18
refship.MaxCaliber = 18

And another:

refship.Cannon = CANNON_TYPE_LONG_LBS32
refship.MaxCaliber = 32

But for a carronade the entry would look like this:

refship.Cannon = CANNON_TYPE_CARRONADE_LBS18
refship.MaxCaliber = 9

And:

refship.Cannon = CANNON_TYPE_CARRONADE_LBS24
refship.MaxCaliber = 12

The MaxCaliber on the Carronade fitted ships is always half(or less than half) the poundage rating given in the CARRONADE_LBSxx rating?

So i was looking for reasons why?

An example of errors i think i've found in this convention would be in the 'Surprise1' by pgargon where you have this entry:

refship.MaxCaliber = 24

And another for the 'HMS Surprise'(movie accurate version) by Jack Harrison:

refship.MaxCaliber = 24

There were a few more like that, which would give an error of some kind(or a bug/crash) i would think? In those cases i changed the LBSxx to match the MaxCaliber in the tweaked Ships_init.c file i've posted in the modding section. I was kind of on a discovery of what stats were what and found a few things that i've commented on in the code for further scrutiny by those that know these ship files well :)

that might be because 16-pounders currently don't exist at all, and 24-pounders already existed in caronnade form, so they just gave the long guns a 24 pound caliber.

would it not create an error if the MaxCaliber is exceeded by the fitted cannon? Maybe it doesn't log errors for that? that's what i'm thinking on those last examples.

what i'm thinking is that the maxcaliber signifies the indication in the ship's stat menu. it's purely text, just like the ship models have different names than their actual names in the game.

EDIT: or actually, that would made sense if it only applied to the ships.

EDIT2: ah, i've got it. the reason why the maxcaliber on the caronnades is halved (or similar) is so you can fit caronnades that are 24 pounds on the same ship that'll hold 12 pound long guns. you'll see it in the actual game as such. but you knew that already. maybe maxcaliber on those surprise versions should indeed be increased to 32. or you could decrease the size of the installed guns, which would made more sense, given the size of the ship. if i remember correctly, the surprise had 12-pounders in the movie. but that would make it a bit wimpy in game.

Ahh. The entry you picked out as being odd is a quest ship, the pirate fast galleon. It looks like it is fitted with carronades as standard for that quest. That is Roche Brasiliano's ship. :keith

About the Surprise, the Boussole is the same ship with different paint and it has 32 pounders. So unless the Surprise was deliberately downgraded that is a typo.

hmm ok, i guess Armada will know what to do, or Pieter even? What you will see, and i think is fine(compared to have a refship.Cannon value HIGHER than the appointed refship.MaxCaliber value) is stuff like this on a few ships:

refship.Cannon = CANNON_TYPE_LONG_LBS18
refship.MaxCaliber = 24

OR

refship.Cannon = CANNON_TYPE_CARRONADE_LBS24
refship.MaxCaliber = 32

In those eaxmples what it is saying(i think) is that the fitted cannon types(refship.Cannon) are lower in size(poundage) than the maximum type that ship can have fitted, so that is fine, and in game you can upgrade to bigger cannons if you want. It's just the other way around(as in a couple of those examples i found in the file currently) i worry it could cause a problem/bug/crash etc?

About the Surprise, the Boussole is the same ship with different paint
Not by a long shot! The Boussole is the same as the old Surprise, which was converted to the new Indefatigable.
The current Surprise (film accurate version) has fewer guns and a lower max calibre, as per the film.
However, it does seem I didn't change everything that needed changing, so hopefully Black Bart's file has fixed that. :eek:ops

For other imported ships such as Surprise1, I simply copied and tweaked the stats from other ships, but made the same mistake with the calibres.
You can assume that the 'MaxCalibre' line is correct, and the 'Cannon' line needs to be changed to reflect that.

Back