• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Fixing the Build Mod Ships

It looks like they're realistic, considering the rigs we've seen on historical models from pgargon, for example. :yes

Would it be possible to paint out that skeleton figurehead on the uncursed Flying Dutchman by using an alpha map texture? Or would that paint out other parts of the ship also? :facepalm
I don't think removing stuff from a model is quite as easy as adding stuff is. :(

There! All fixed and a new file on the FTP. :eek:ops2

It seems there is a short cut, that if there are no other ropes on a rey the ropes for a sail magically appear. When I put new ropes on those ropes disappeared. :shock

Are these ropes realistic? I started off looking at what those who came before had done. Most of them just had ropes going off in random directions. I work construction and know my rigging, landlubber style. So I says to meself, "Self, if you were on this ship how would you do it?" And that is how I'm doing them. I've been looking around at drawings of ships and also the better models here, and what I'm doing is more or less correct. Except that I'm leaving out about 3/4ths of the real ropes......:8q If I could do it I would put in pulleys on the masts and then run the ropes from the end of the reys (spars) to the mast, through the pulleys, and then down the mast to those square handrail looking things at the base of the mast and tie them off there. That would be realistic. :nerbz

Would it be possible to paint out that skeleton figurehead on the uncursed Flying Dutchman by using an alpha map texture? Or would that paint out other parts of the ship also? :facepalm
You think I haven't already tried? :rolleyes:
That was one of the first things I wanted to achieve, but it didn't work; several other parts disappear as well as the figurehead. :modding
Alpha map short-cuts are great when they work... but disappointing when they don't.

Are these ropes realistic? I started off looking at what those who came before had done. Most of them just had ropes going off in random directions. I work construction and know my rigging, landlubber style. So I says to meself, "Self, if you were on this ship how would you do it?" And that is how I'm doing them. I've been looking around at drawings of ships and also the better models here, and what I'm doing is more or less correct. Except that I'm leaving out about 3/4ths of the real ropes......:8q If I could do it I would put in pulleys on the masts and then run the ropes from the end of the reys (spars) to the mast, through the pulleys, and then down the mast to those square handrail looking things at the base of the mast and tie them off there. That would be realistic. :nerbz
Sounds great! :onya

You think I haven't already tried? :rolleyes:
That was one of the first things I wanted to achieve, but it didn't work; several other parts disappear as well as the figurehead. :modding
Alpha map short-cuts are great when they work... but disappointing when they don't.
I figured you would have. Just checking. Too bad it didn't work. :facepalm

Hylie Pistoff, you're still using the old FTP login details. Please use this instead: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/10288-piratesahoy-ftp/
Then we can access your new uploads through http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/

I figured you would have. Just checking. Too bad it didn't work. :facepalm
I know; it's a shame, but we can't expect modellers to foresee this sort of thing when mapping textures to their models.
The only other downside about this ship is that the deck is mapped to the same part of the texture as the main hull, so they will always look the same.
It's less of a problem, but it would have been nice to make the deck a different shade of grey, at least. :j3

But on the other hand, it looks fine for the Cursed Dutchman... as intended, clearly.

Methinks I bit off more than I can chew with this one. :? It's the Hooker1. It has two types of sails on one mast that interfere with any ropes for the square sails. :c It must be a fantasy ship because I could not find any ship rigged like it. So, I kinda sorta gave up on it, but it still a little better than it was. If nothing else it will give less bad rope errors than before. :eek:ops

Barque1 is added to the file. This one is not finished and never will be because the main GM is messed up, and has been since day 1. But it is still better than it was and hopefully will give less rope errors.

Thanks. :eek:ops

I took a look at barqem1, the barque longue, and its main mast (mast3) gives the "model can not be read" message in TOOL. There is a lot of stuff going there that is just hanging in space. This appears to be an AOP ship. Does anyone who has AOP have that ship and be willing to share that file? That ship has come a long way and it would be a shame to leave it unfinished.

Dunno what my next victim will be, but there are a lot of national ships that can be worked on.

Nice one! You're still using the old FTP though; these are the new details: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/10288-piratesahoy-ftp/

Armada, could you possibly upload the work you have done today so I can download it while I've still got fast internet?
If not, that's all-right, but I probably won't be able to get it then for four months if it's really large... :?

I didn't update the details in the download; the correct details are in the post.

Uhm... whatever you've got. But you can also just leave it and I'll get it perhaps when I'm away or otherwise in four months.

Back