• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help FindIslandByLocation ERROR: Please post your compile.log file at piratesahoy.net!

Screenshot 2022-09-13 173512.png

Try again. Install the 2003 game. Then run the January 2022 installer. Then copy the files from "post_1Jan_updates_210722" into place.

You do not need to put "b14_installer_Jan_2022.exe" and "b14_beta4_final.tar" into the same folder where you are installing the game. I don't even have them on the same drive; my game is in "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean" and the installation files are somewhere on my D: drive. That way I don't need to download them again every time I create a new game installation. The two files just need to be in the same folder as each other.

OK, back to square 1. Install the 2003 game. Then run the January 2022 installer. Don't bother with the update just yet. See if the January 2022 game works.

OK. Copy the entire installation to another folder. PoTC doesn't put anything in the registry so you can have as many installations as you like, as long as there's space on the drive.

Then download "post_1Jan_updates_210722", again not into a game installation. That way, if you need to wipe the installation, you don't need to download the update again.

Copy the contents of the update into one of the game installations.

You should now have two versions of the 2022 game, one with the updates and one without. Try running the updated one.

Try starting a FreePlay game as an Agent. You don't need to play it to conclusion, just let me know what the officer tells you at the start.

Or see if you can start a FreePlay as the Dark Teacher, the villain of the "Strange Things Going On in the Caribbean" sidequest. Again, you don't need to continue past the start - if you can even start such a game then you have the updated version.

AAAAAGH, don't do that!!
I already said something to that effect. He's done it properly now!

How am I ever going to stop people from doing that??
Perhaps put a file in the installer which should never appear in the archive. The installer puts that file into the game. The first thing the game should then do is check that this file exists. If not, show a rude message telling the player to reinstall and this time leave the archive alone, then exit at once.

For good measure, perhaps put a dummy file in the archive and have the installer not copy it into place. The only way that file should be able to get into the game is if the player extracts the archive manually. Have the game check if this file exists, and if it does, show the rude message and then exit.

You should not open "b14_beta4_final.tar" yourself.
:onya

Perhaps put a file in the installer which should never appear in the archive. The installer puts that file into the game. The first thing the game should then do is check that this file exists. If not, show a rude message telling the player to reinstall and this time leave the archive alone, then exit at once.

For good measure, perhaps put a dummy file in the archive and have the installer not copy it into place. The only way that file should be able to get into the game is if the player extracts the archive manually. Have the game check if this file exists, and if it does, show the rude message and then exit.
Funny story...
I actually thought I did stuff like that in the more recent installers already.
But it seems not to be doing its job very well...

Oh i am so sorry Pieter BUT I WAS WONDERING FOR LIKE 2 YEARS HOW TO INSTALL THIS GAME and Grey Roger helped me. again sorry Pieter :(

Funny story...
I actually thought I did stuff like that in the more recent installers already.
But it seems not to be doing its job very well...
Which files have you added for the checks - which one is only in the installer and which one is only in the archive?

Oh i am so sorry Pieter BUT I WAS WONDERING FOR LIKE 2 YEARS HOW TO INSTALL THIS GAME and Grey Roger helped me. again sorry Pieter :(
Exactly why I think we should go Standalone.
Despite all attempts to the contrary, the process is clearly still too complicated.
And indeed it IS a fair number of steps.

Which files have you added for the checks - which one is only in the installer and which one is only in the archive?
Did I not upload my compilation script some time ago?
There was something about "RESOURCE\build_14_final" as a filename without extension that the seadogs.c pre-main-menu code should check on.

I cannot give further details right now.
I'm on my phone.

Back