• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Abandoned Early Cape Horn Clipper

Lord Horatio Nelson

1st Duke of Bronté
Storm Modder
The Tea Clipper mod adds a new type of ship called the 'Tea Clipper', it will be extremely fast and have a decent cargo capacity. It will have a large sail area, but only have a few guns on it's quarterdeck. The ship's model will be a modified RN_BattleFrigate model without a gun-deck.
I have already started texture work on the ship, and pictures of said texture work are shown further down on this post. The ship will have an American version and a British version.
Any help on this project from anyone who knows how to work with POTC ship models in Maya is appreciated.

Latest progress on the textures. It has a natural and common brown wooden texturing on most of the hull, with a pine colored/textured stripe across the middle and on some other areas.
upload_2021-3-6_10-52-14.png

New progress, the deck has been darkened and various minor shading changes.
upload_2021-3-6_10-58-21.png

Last edited:
So the Clipper is a Clipper?
Interesting, I don't think another ship of this class has been in a Sea Dogs game.

So the Clipper is a Clipper?
Interesting, I don't think another ship of this class has been in a Sea Dogs game.
Do you know how I can actually import models into Maya? This is actually a RN_BattlFrigate model but with ONLY top deck cannnons, not gundeck guns, and the gunports on the gundeck will be removed, and filled in with the rest of the hull, and more sails will be added. But all I need to do is fill in those gun-deck gun-ports and add the top deck guns, the rest is easy for me... It should be used as a quest ship or starting ship I believe, but never as a Pirate ship, since Clippers are merchant ships, it will be called "Tea Clipper" in-game, and I may make it as a starting ship for Nathaniel Hawk or someone like that, since it kind-of suits him. It will have guns, but only on the Quarterdeck, the gunports on the gundeck will be filled in with the hull.
This is what I've done to the textures currently:
upload_2021-3-6_10-35-5.png

Last edited:
Found a good sketch of the Taeping, a Tea Clipper.
1024px-Taeping_%28clipper%2C_1863%29_-_SLV_H91.325-1033.jpg

Attachments

• 1024px-Taeping_(clipper,_1863)_-_SLV_H91.325-1033.jpg
    1024px-Taeping_(clipper,_1863)_-_SLV_H91.325-1033.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 164
Nice, that's what I would suggest.
Use Blender for the actual modeling and only use Maya to export to GM.
Maya had been acting up saving sometimes, as I probably had mentioned before in the past.

Maybe I could try running it in Windows XP?
It helped with the TOOL, so it maybe Maya 5 will also like it. :unsure

Nice, that's what I would suggest.
Use Blender for the actual modeling and only use Maya to export to GM.
Maya had been acting up saving sometimes, as I probably had mentioned before in the past.

Maybe I could try running it in Windows XP?
It helped with the TOOL, so it maybe Maya 5 will also like it. :unsure
Yeah, the new blender is THE perfect modeling app, well sort-of, still needs a few things, but its got a friendly and easy UI and many features, so it works.
I'll show you what my progress is. I've already filled in a few gun-ports, and I just gotta fill in the rest. It is not perfect, but this is my first time I've been modeling with ships in blender, before I modeled with aircraft, and they were much HARDER than these...,
upload_2021-3-6_12-4-23.png

Also there is this Blender fork that has a differently organized UI.
Home - Bforartists

@Cerez recommended it to me a while ago.
I took a look at it and it was quite nice, though I haven't had the chance to model lately.
Still maybe you'd like it, or maybe not. :razz

Also there is this Blender fork that has a differently organized UI.
Home - Bforartists

@Cerez recommended it to me a while ago.
I took a look at it and it was quite nice, though I haven't had the chance to model lately.
Still maybe you'd like it, or maybe not. :razz
I'd still stick with this UI, it's perfect for me. Since Clippers rarely had any guns, this one only has a few on the quarterdeck, and that's also why I am filling in the gunports on the gun-deck.

I am actually restarting the modeling straight from Blender, so that way it is easier to model with and then I'll get it into Maya so I can then put it back into the game.

Current TEXTURE and model progress (the model is not using the "new" textures in blender yet)
upload_2021-3-6_15-14-8.png

upload_2021-3-6_15-13-51.png

The model in blender has had parts from the gun-deck gunports removed, I am next going to fill in the gunports completely in blender.

New progress on the model: 4 Gunports currently filled, more coming soon. I won't be filling all 56 gun-ports, since as I said the quarterdeck guns are staying. I'm going for a similar color scheme to some Cutty Stark paintings, although the Stark never had really any cannons, the game this is going into has many enemies about, so its better to be safe than sorry.
Anyways, there were LARGE cutters, some bigger than an 18th century 5th rate, so yeah, this thing's gonna be armed. I'll add and remove some more things too, such as decoration to the ship's stern and that, and new railing as well. The new blender has a good feature that lets you place a block in a very advantageous way, pair that with the poly build tool in blender then you have easy modeling. And I'll definitely fix the textures on the filled in gun-ports later, since the main thing is to fill them in right now.
upload_2021-3-6_15-33-32.png

Now, Maya is being VERY annoying. I do what the tutorials say on how to add a material to the object, BUT I cannot properly do it for god's sake...

Back