• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Build 14 Beta 3: What's the Verdict?

So how close are we to making the public release?

• Total voters
I gave the vote to test a bit longer. I did so since this is the first build I'm playing and don't know what the aims of the mod are. However, as I played it now it seems very stable as far as story goes and there are only a few things I experienced while playing:

- Fighting soldiers and picking up muskets seems to completely ruin the way my inventory and personal items purchases at vendors work. After picking up a musket and/or musket bullets, I can't seem to purchase items at any vendor and even the gear I had before picking musket-items up seem to change forcing me to load an earlier save. I have therefore avoided fighting soldiers with muskets for the fear of picking one up
- When sailing in the world map at 3x speed and the crew salary payment comes up, the speed is increased to 10x

We already release Beta 3 weeks ago. :wp

That vendor problem sounds proper bizarre. Definitely shouldn't be happening and never heard of that before.

I noticed some weird time-scale issues too. It's on the To-Do list to be addressed.

Muskets mess up buying and selling items? That is a new one on me. I fight soldiers all the time and sell muskets 20-30 at a time. I never pick up musket bullets unless I am carrying a musket as that can sometimes confuse the merchant.

Yes when a menu pops up the speed does jump up a notch. It does that in direct sail too. I'm used to it so it does not bother me.

Don't really know why it happens. I've only played "Tales of a Sea Hawk" so far and that's where I got the vendor issues. It's simple to work around this as I found the option to disable auto-loot, so now I can at least fight soldiers.

I agree, these aren't really things that aren't possible to avoid if you get used to them.

I am also playing the Sea Hawk storyline.

Ahh. I always disable autoloot so never ran into that particular problem.

I have a few installations, 2 of 22sept13 and 2 of 8oct13. /That's because I am testing all my water mods/. I initially quite approved of the new encounters. However it was mostly in the Jack Sparow storyline. Having started other storylines I notice the following:
-The two early storylines /of 1550 and 1650/ are sort of poor in ships. I haven't tested these a lot but it looks so. Plus the pirates ships are also brigantines as in the later storylines.
-The pirates most often use 1 or 2 ships only, which are usually Brigantines. That can drive you crazy because for some strange reason the same ship model of the Brigantine is listed as a Sloop of War too. A pirate should be able to capture almost any sort of ship and have it, even if rare, for example a Lyme Class frigate. Even to third rates I suppose. And what should be most usuall a pirates galleon "english war one" is never met.

Also the old ships seem to be prevalent as encounter chance compared to the new.

One of the Sloop-of-Wars is the "PiratBrig50", which uses the stock game Brig hull. So does the Brigantine.
They've got quite different colours and rigging though, so I'm not sure where your confusion comes from.

The Brigantina does appear to be set up as a common pirate ship in all time periods except Early Explorers.
The worldmap type encounters for pirates are either a small encounter with 1-2/1-3 ships or a large one with 2-5 ships.
Not many big pirate fleets, but that only makes sense: pirates never did operate like that much.

In what way is the ship selection "poor". Need to have specific examples if we want to address it.
Pirates don't get ships larger than Tier 4, which is very much on purpose because pirates didn't really use big ships.

Still not entirely sure what you're after. o_O

Still not entirely sure what you're after. o_O

Simply said, you almost don't get anything else than fast galleons, a light flute and a war galleon as pirates in early age, and two brigantines or heavy brigs which is the same in later. Don't know for realism, but one would skip such, even if it is 100% realistic.

These are the ships the pirates use in Early Explorers:
Caravela Latina
Caravela Redonda
Carrack
Caravela Hermafrodita
Sloop x2
Naval Cutter
Light Fluyt-of-War
Fast War Galleon x2

Not the biggest selection, I admit, but we don't have that many early period ships.
I don't see the brigantines or brigs in there. What time period are you referring to?

That is it. I do not remember the time period, but it is only these. And you get them as scratch patrols and warships too. :boom: The brigantines also appear as the ones for warships, even they may not be of the earliest.

Well, what storyline were you playing? Do you remember that?

Anyway, all that is easily changed by editing the values in ships_init.c .

Back