• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Build 14 Beta 3: What's the Verdict?

So how close are we to making the public release?

• Total voters

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
You've seen it, you've installed it and you've played it. So how does it hold up?
We're all in this together, so I'd like to know what people think before we make the full public release.
Just to make sure that when we make the public release, it'll actually be a good, proper one!

So what do you like? What do you not like? Does it play well? Or not so much?
Anything that still really needs doing to allow you to more fully enjoy the game?
Any feedback on the installation process would be welcome too. Simple? Or troublesome?

NOTE: This thread is NOT for bug reports and the like. I need to know the overall experience you have while playing.
Specific issues can go in the Progress thread: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686/

I like the installation process much better than any of the old systems. :thumbs1 :thumbs1 :thumbs1

There are lots of little details to be ironed out, but overall it is very good. :cheers

The installation process is much better. One sugestion to help those that are having a hard time figuring it out. In the directions, tell people to make a new folder called "New Horizons" and place the install files within. Just telling them what to name the folder I think helps. I never had a problem but I see that several others did.

For those who voted "Let's give this some more testing time. Thoughts on how much longer would be appreciated.", I would appreciate some further details.
What would we still be waiting for? And/or how much more waiting would we need to do?
Personally I had been vaguely hoping we might be able to release this weekend. Maybe? Perhaps....? :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should put some additional instructions in the installer itself again. Maybe at least some people would notice those.
But then.... people will be confused on anything, even if the answers is standing right in front of them.
That's why I put so many checks and fail-safes in the new installer. Doesn't seem to be helping much just yet though. :facepalm

Pieter,

I didn't vote, because I think it is mostly up to you. I think you have the best command of the state of the the whole game. Before the release I would:

Make sure all story lines can be played all the way through.

Make sure all the side quests work all the way through (recent Bartolomeau fix case in point.)

On game play I find that the CTD and game freezes are much less frequent. There is the female NPO who glides as opposed to walking, but that is really, really minor and the graphic anaomalies that occur sometimes at sea and during boarding, flashing cuts out in the image. The rest seems good to me.

So again, your call.

I'd say it depends on what state you want this to be in. We find small bugs and glitches here and there all the time, but being a beta we could hardly expect anything else. I think my vote was cast more in terms of a full release, not a beta - so I would just take it as a hint that further betas are needed. This beta has fixed many things and as a whole I think it is quite playable.

I didn't vote, because I think it is mostly up to you. I think you have the best command of the state of the the whole game.
That's not really true, because I never really have the chance to play.
My intention was to release Beta 3 first and then do some proper playing myself before the next release to see what I run into that needs to be addressed.

Make sure all story lines can be played all the way through.

Make sure all the side quests work all the way through (recent Bartolomeau fix case in point.)
That would be nice, I agree. But who is going to do the playtesting on that? I don't have the time.
I did fix every story issue that I am aware of at least. If people know of any others, be sure to post.

and the graphic anaomalies that occur sometimes at sea and during boarding, flashing cuts out in the image.
I don't think I can get that one fixed in a hurry, if ever. That flags code is just so complex and every time I try to fix it, it just gets confusing. :modding

I'd say it depends on what state you want this to be in. We find small bugs and glitches here and there all the time, but being a beta we could hardly expect anything else. I think my vote was cast more in terms of a full release, not a beta - so I would just take it as a hint that further betas are needed. This beta has fixed many things and as a whole I think it is quite playable.
Indeed the main thing with this particular release is that it is playable without too much frustration. It won't be the Build 14 final release though.
There will be a Beta 3.1 some time in the future to address whatever we run into with this release.

Last edited:
That all makes sense to me. I will try to start on the side quests. I know that Artois Voisey and Bartolomeau are working now.

So.... now Capture Colonies is just about fixed too. What more do we want....? :rolleyes:

I know I should still try to get the Bridgetown Assault in the Standard storyline working again.
We lost that a long time ago due to Capture Colonies. It's about time it makes a return, no....? :wp

So.... now Capture Colonies is just about fixed too. What more do we want....? :rolleyes:

I know I should still try to get the Bridgetown Assault in the Standard storyline working again.
We lost that a long time ago due to Capture Colonies. It's about time it makes a return, no....? :wp

:yes

It would be good to see that return. It will ensure the player thinks about getting larger ships in preparation for the final battles of the story.

:ship

Honestly, just test for general bugs for another couple days and if nothing major comes up, release it in a week, that's my thoughts on it. Beta 3.1 should then be a small bugfix update.

It would be good to see that return. It will ensure the player thinks about getting larger ships in preparation for the final battles of the story.
I'll be trying that soon. Had it almost working on Friday, but back then Bridgetown itself was still bugged.

Honestly, just test for general bugs for another couple days and if nothing major comes up, release it in a week, that's my thoughts on it. Beta 3.1 should then be a small bugfix update.
That sounds about right to me. :cheeky

So just about a week later.... what do people think now?

There's only one thing I still want to do, which I'll try tomorrow:
To adapt Pirate_KK's remaining boarding and mutiny code changes so we can see how that works.
Then I definitely intend to release the actual Beta 3 next weekend. I hope we'll have a trailer then as well so I can use that for the release article.

:shrug I want to test this slowing down my advancement thing. Maybe I should start a new game to test it better. The thing is, the upgrades have been coming so fast that no one has been able to advance very far without cheating.

We haven't required a new game since the 4th of the month. That was 2.5 weeks ago. So I'll give it another week.
Anyway, most bug findings usually happen after a release anyway. :shrug

I checked "let's give it some more time" today. I do this kind of stuff for a living (software development and release deployment within a Fortune 500)... and my gut instinct is always to be as cautious as possible!

That said, I think Pieter and team have done a fantastic job with Beta 3. I'm itching to get back to my personal computer so I can continue playing/testing it!

Well, it'll still be a Beta release, not a final one. Though if we can keep this up, perhaps there doesn't need to be a Beta 4.
Would be pretty cool to actually release a finished Build 14 this year! :dance

i love how its going but i would like to see more stuff like locations ,towns make hideouts, lore,surprises things like that if possible.I already play hours on this game and would love to play more.

I'd suggest against adding more content personally.
This mod has high production values and is exquisitely made, but you always have to guard against feature creep. Therefore, I voted "Let's give it some more time" not because it isn't ready, but because some extra time to polish existing and new content is always a good idea. I've played around a bit (admittedly not in the latest beta though) and there were for example some things that put me off, like the building options that felt out of place for me.
Sometimes less is more and that's why I'd suggest polishing everything. This mod almost looks like it was produced by a professional triple A studio, and I believe that the almost will dissapear soon!

i love how its going but i would like to see more stuff like locations ,towns make hideouts, lore,surprises things like that if possible.I already play hours on this game and would love to play more.
Of course we'd LIKE to add new content. But if we do, we'll be further away from getting to a finished state again.
So it'd be best to leave new features for future updated after Build 14 has been completed.

there were for example some things that put me off, like the building options that felt out of place for me.
Unfortunately the only way for us to polish that one is by switching it off altogether. I don't particularly want to do that though, because for all the weirdness, it IS a very cool mod.
It adds a lot of potential gameplay fun and is being used during various storylines as well for all sorts of purposes.
But there's a toggle on it under Options>Game Preferences for those who really don't want it.

Back