• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

The ones you meet around town are officers, not crewmen like you meet in the taverns.

Ayup, the tavern brawls are back...........

A lot of crazy things happened in Saint Martin - Exit from Philipsburg to me.

1. The guards near the gate outside from Philipsburg explode if I attacking them! The bodies cannot be lot.

2. But you can suddenly somewhere in the open field invisible corpses lot!?

3. If you walk there, you suddenly explodes and is dead as if there were invisible mines buried

Suddenly more guards come running and fighting you also can not loot but elsewhere you can loot them then because they lie somewhere invisible again.

Something is not right there:eek:

Here is the savegame to test. Direct load and then attack the guards, see what happens. Then try to loot the corpses
http://www.file-upload.net/download...-Exit-from-Philipsburg-June-27th--1750-3.html

Last edited:
about the archipelago map, i start to seriously think about it because i need to print one for myself also (i have an idea to use the in game map as base, far greater colors) :D

EDIT: only new grenada is the new location on the map ? right ? (no new other beach or city ?)
Compared to the one we already had, indeed Cartagena is the only new addition. Other than that, the islands are moved around. And Nevis has the towns moved around too.

When I get lucky and can see them they are so far away that by the time I get there the battle is already over. Direct sail encounters still seem to be ok.
What settings got changed to cause this?
Didn't someone recommend changing the encounter chance values for Open Sea Mod ON? You could take the InitOpenSeaMod function from the original Beta 3 installer and put that back.
That might be it?

And seems like I can't hire officers, my character saying that the ship is full, which is not. But maybe it's because of the low leadership stat.
Must indeed be the hirable crewmembers. That's not actually a new feature, but not a very well-known one either.

A lot of crazy things happened in Saint Martin - Exit from Philipsburg to me.
There's a war going on between the Dutch and the French there. It might not work 100% right, but that "instant death" is definitely caused by the cannons placed there.

3. If you walk there, you suddenly explodes and is dead as if there were invisible mines buried
...that "instant death" is definitely caused by the cannons placed there.
Yup! Definitely because of the cannons.:pirate41::boom:

EDIT:
It seems that when dropping out of the world map into a battle when in the open sea mod, the other ships are now so far away that they often can not be found.
When I get lucky and can see them they are so far away that by the time I get there the battle is already over. Direct sail encounters still seem to be ok.
What settings got changed to cause this?
The same problem I have also. I want to battle but nobody's there:shrug
Is this, this one? seadogs2_0001.jpg seadogs2_0002.jpg seadogs2_0003.jpg - it seems to be alright.
(oh the first screenshot is a different encounter)
(.log files attached)

Didn't someone recommend changing the encounter chance values for Open Sea Mod ON?
:checklist....:unsure....:woot....:yes....:cheeky

Attachments

• compile.log
    16.4 KB · Views: 89
  • error.log
    3.3 KB · Views: 88
  • system.log
    8.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
They have the same conversation as those desperate to join the crown in the tavern.
Then there should be some kind of difference like for the officers specifically asking if you need an extra officer asking a higher salary
and a regular crewman asking if you just need an extra hand asking a lower salary.

Hey guys, got a mixed bag of news.

Let's get the bad stuff sorted out first. (Note that I have not installed the very last update yet).

1) Minor sound bugs.
I noticed that sometimes a few sounds do not play. On very few occasions the wind turned, but the sound didn't play. Also in the taverns on Eleuthera there is no coin sound, when getting a room in any of the two taverns, it seems.

2) Ugly graphic glitches.
I noticed that the coast line around either some or maybe even all islands does look very glitched. Check out the picture from Nevis, where it is remarkably bad.
Zick Zack Crap.jpg

These zick zack lines are quite a pain to watch. Also, when approaching Eleuthera I noticed that things would spawn (at least partwise) in and out of sight. Even when I was very close to them already. In this case the fort/castle/whatever of Governor's Harbour. Also, when around Turks (where the beach line was equally messed up) some of the ships looked glitchy, with parts of them becoming temorarily transparent.
Bottom Line: Something messes with the graphics in direct sail in a way that was unseen before. Not sure what it might be. But since the problem is so omnipresent in direct sail, methinks it might be some very global change (maybe the AI ships not taking damage anymore by cliffs etc.?). If that should be the case, I would prefer the collision detection being back in full effect. I'd rather cope with my officers being imbecils at times than with generally glitchy graphics, that would ultimately be too much to be ignored,

3) Salary anyone?
Has anybody of you guys paid salary so far? Because I am nearly playing two months worth of in game time now and not have been asked once to pay the salary. And given the amount of time I spend in direct sail and the days that pass by at sea, there definetely was no lack of opportunities for my crew to demand their salary.

4) In said play time I have only once encountered pirates. And I only did so by actively seeking 'em out around Nevis. Though, these pussies ran for the hills. Apparently they felt that their Sloop of War and regular Sloop where no match for my ...... Fleuyt. Pirates are indeed whimps these days.
All in all I find it remarkably, that I saw pirates only once. And only by loading the waters around Nevis several times(!). Given that I play in the Golden Age of Piracy and am pretty much never faster as 7 knots in diret sail on long trips (since I play a heavy loaded trader), I was either VERY lucky or pirates are just few and far between.

On to some good news.

Remember the skills that showed up in Iron Man Mode, even though they shouldn't (reported it recently)? These skills might show up, but I have yet to find an officer, who has these skills activated. By default it doesn't seem that any officer will ever have these skills. So them showing up apparently does no harm.

signing out

Philipsburg also has problems with the loot corpses in the harbor.
I killed the guard down by the harbor basin. I can loot his corpse but where he once stood, at the city gate.
Not a big problem but also not nice. The problem also exists within the city.

Too much going on to catch it all.

Schalkepirat: The problems you are having looting corpses are not glitches. Pieter is trying to keep us from killing and looting his soldiers for their weapons, so he hid their corpses. They are now randomly scattered all over the map so you have to go searching for them. Note that only the soldiers are like this and not city folk.
Also, if you go wandering around a battlefield expect to get shot at by the cannons.

Bathtub-Pirate: You need to update your game. The glitches you have were fixed months ago.

The sailors looking to get hired as your crew are new to me. Never ever saw them until I installed this latest patch. Also, the only place I see them is in a tavern and all I meet wandering around town are officers.

"Didn't someone recommend changing the encounter chance values for Open Sea Mod ON? You could take the InitOpenSeaMod function from the original Beta 3 installer and put that back.
That might be it?"

No ideer. I was playing ERAS at that time and know nothing about it.

Where is said InitOpenSeaMod?

Bathtub-pirate:

1. Quite possibly those sounds weren't added to the tavern owners' dialog files. Don't have time to check now though.

2. Hylie Pistof had that a while ago as well. If I recall, it was due to an error in engine.ini . But as he said, we caught and fixed it months ago and it shouldn't be happening with the latest release.

3. I did change the code related to paying salary so that you don't have to pay anymore right after you start a new game.
However, this might have caused problems further down the line. So I'd quite like to hear from other players if they DO get the salary screens still.

4. Is that on DirectSail or Worldmap? Anyway, their appearance should be quite random.

They have the same conversation as those desperate to join the crown in the tavern.
If you use the "crewmembers on shore" functionality, you can run into crewmembers AND officers for hire while walking around in towns.
They do use different dialogs though. The officers have that "I must straighten my collar" text in there, as I recall.

Schalkepirat: The problems you are having looting corpses are not glitches. Pieter is trying to keep us from killing and looting his soldiers for their weapons, so he hid their corpses. They are now randomly scattered all over the map so you have to go searching for them. Note that only the soldiers are like this and not city folk.
Also, if you go wandering around a battlefield expect to get shot at by the cannons.
I did WHAT!?!? No clue where that came from, but there is no such intention whatsoever.
The only time I know where corpses aren't where they "should" be is when killing a character using Shotgun Mode.
The corpse is generated at the spot where the character dies, which is NOT the spot where the character lands.
Other than that, corpses have NO reason to move around. Unless Levis' corpsemode 3 fix caused very strange side-effects.

Where is said InitOpenSeaMod?
PROGRAM\NK.c

The sailors looking to get hired as your crew are new to me. Never ever saw them until I installed this latest patch. Also, the only place I see them is in a tavern and all I meet wandering around town are officers.
If I recall, it was a Build 13 feature. Or an early Build 14 one. But it only gets activated if you get some crewmembers to follow you ashore.
Unless Levis' more crowded taverns modification also uses them. That I am not sure of.

Ran the latest installer to update files. And still the shore lines look messy (in a new game). Maybe I should go for a complete reinstall, but I am afraid this issue might still stand.

Ever since the last two updates direct sail feels and looks messed up in several ways.

Ya, I wuz killing the soldiers for their weapons, so first you upgraded them so I couldn't fight them. So I found other ways to kill them, so you made them unlootable. But how it works in reality is that they can still be looted but their loot is scattered randomly all over the battlefield or town. Schalkepirat has discovered this too.

Bathtub-pirate: What are your computer specs? I did have the problem you describe a long time ago but all is well now, so it must be something in your install or hardware. Possibly a bad download?

Just looked at NK.c using Winmerge and the only changes are to direct sail encounter chances. Something must have been changed somewhere else that also changes this.

Last edited:
Extra Atmosphere MOD:
Uhm..where are the sailors in the tavern during night? seadogs2_0000.jpg
During day, all seems to be alright. seadogs2_0001.jpg :rumgone:pflag

Attachments

• compile.log
    24.5 KB · Views: 97
  • error.log
    3.1 KB · Views: 101
  • system.log
    17 KB · Views: 107
Philipsburg also has problems with the loot corpses in the harbor.
I killed the guard down by the harbor basin. I can loot his corpse but where he once stood, at the city gate.
Not a big problem but also not nice. The problem also exists within the city.
All seems to be working fine. So I went exactly to Philipsburg, so there is no excuse, killed the guard and took his money, sword and gun right where the soldier died.
Take a look: seadogs2_0000.jpg seadogs2_0001.jpg seadogs2_0002.jpg $R91CPTJ.jpg:shrug:duel:

Attachments

• compile.log
    19.4 KB · Views: 82
  • system.log
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
At night the sailors are passed out somewhere. :drunk

I'm not sure, but that might be the soldiers starting position so the corpse might be right there. I know I have given up on the town guards and only go out of town to harvest weapons.

At night the sailors are passed out somewhere. :drunk
I've added something new. You should notive a bit more population everywhere already (let me know if this causes problems) and in the tavern there are some more guests. During the day there will be some guards there who are off duty. During the night it will be populated with sailors mostly.
:shrug..and I've seen it myself, during night there are plenty of sailors before.
I'm not sure, but that might be the soldiers starting position so the corpse might be right there. I know I have given up on the town guards and only go out of town to harvest weapons.
No. I've seen the guard standing upstairs in front of the town gate as I arrived then he came down when we fought.
I tried it twice and the soldier died at different spots and I can loot him in that very spot with no trouble.:no

Last edited:
Off-topic, What does "Ship Berthing" exactly do if you choose the first option? I know, that the second option just places it in a "safe" place for safe keeping.

Off-topic, What does "Ship Berthing" exactly do if you choose the first option? I know, that the second option just places it in a "safe" place for safe keeping.
you mean Ship Transfer?
Since you can move goods between your own ships also persons

Back