• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

Hi there.

Doing some testing and not sure if this is a general bug in beta 3 or just me but when loading a saved game after starting up the game, it refuses to display my save game straight away. It shows me what my profile is (I called it slot 1), but the save game slots are all empty. I have to go to "profile", select it again, and then it shows. It isn't too much hassle but it's still a bit annoying :) (Edit: not sure if this has already been brought up or fixed since I installed it. Worth a shot!)

On a side note, I've just thought of yet another question. Does raising your personal flag affect relations with other nations? So say I have a British letter of marque, and had my personal flag raised going into a British port, would I be attacked? Same question with the same scenario but instead, what would happen if I go into a French port who are at war with Britain?

I can't do any more testing yet because,surprise surprise, my brand new laptop which I finally have a good graphics card on is physically broken so I need to send it back. Eurgh. Just my luck. I hope I can start playing again soon...:modding

Doing some testing and not sure if this is a general bug in beta 3 or just me but when loading a saved game after starting up the game, it refuses to display my save game straight away. It shows me what my profile is (I called it slot 1), but the save game slots are all empty. I have to go to "profile", select it again, and then it shows. It isn't too much hassle but it's still a bit annoying :) (Edit: not sure if this has already been brought up or fixed since I installed it. Worth a shot!)
Which version was the last one you had? I did make a change to the profile use not so long ago that should have improved matters.
I've seen the game occasionally not remembering the last loaded profile when I start the game, but once a game has been loaded, it should be OK after that.
Anyway, we've always had massive problems with that so you sometimes couldn't even save at all. That should be a thing of the past though. I hope....

On a side note, I've just thought of yet another question. Does raising your personal flag affect relations with other nations? So say I have a British letter of marque, and had my personal flag raised going into a British port, would I be attacked? Same question with the same scenario but instead, what would happen if I go into a French port who are at war with Britain?
Using your personal flag is the simplest way of playing: Countries you are at war with will hate you and countries you're at peace with will not.
You simply get your own relation to each nation. So if you have a British LoM and England is at war with France, but YOU are not at war with France, the French will not fire on you.
Of course in that situation it might be profitable to DO start your own war with France by flying English colours instead.
But that is up to you, of course.

I can't do any more testing yet because,surprise surprise, my brand new laptop which I finally have a good graphics card on is physically broken so I need to send it back. Eurgh. Just my luck. I hope I can start playing again soon...:modding
Figures. Sorry to hear it. :facepalm

I had the version that was available for download on the 14th (not sure what version it was though in terms of numbers). Yeah, once I've clicked the profile again, it works fine. It's not a big issue and as you say, there have been much worse!

About the personal flags - I see. The "personal relations" bit on the in-game interface makes more sense now. I never took notice of it! Thanks.

As I say, I don't know how much help I'll be but as soon as I get a decent laptop back I'll try and test some more. You guys are doing a brilliant job as always!

I am still unable to get the game to run, should I delete every thing, reinstall the game, install Beta 3 full and then the most recent update?

I updated to the newest update from WIP18 today without problems.. had to delete my savegames, but all is running great :shrug
even my no-profile errors are completely gone (which could also be the new laptop)^^

:facepalm Ya might as well. It appears to be completely broken. But please run POTC after every step to make sure it works, and also to find out where it is breaking.

I am still unable to get the game to run, should I delete every thing, reinstall the game, install Beta 3 full and then the most recent update?
Worth a try for sure. If you do it that way, it is also a simple on-step installation. Should work. :yes

The Original game, then beta 3 full + the latest update with the most recent installer? Yes?

All three files from the opening post in the same folder. That should update your game to the latest modpack in one step.
If you still have the large full archive, you don't need to re-download that because it hasn't been changed.
Just make sure you have it in the same folder as the other files.

You can't even uncheck that box. Anyway, if you're doing a full install, select ALL options you want.
ESPECIALLY the Full and Update options.

I just installed the Beta 3 update and it seems great so far - I had been playing with whatever "stable" version was available on ModDB. I'm away from my computer for a few days but will try to report any bugs I find when I get back on Saturday.

Wait, what is completely broken?

Jason is having a lot of trouble getting Beta 3 to install properly. I was stating that his current install seems to be completely broken.

Beta 3 seems to be very stable for a Storm engine based game. As long as one remembers to quit and restart every hour or so it runs fine. The Storm engine has bad memory leaks so one has to quit and restart periodically in order to reset the game, or something, to keep it from randomly crashing.

I seem to be progressing very very rapidly. I am now at level 18 and Devlin, who started at level 12, is now at level 17. Is there some way to slow my progression down?

Beta 3 seems to be very stable for a Storm engine based game. As long as one remembers to quit and restart every hour or so it runs fine. The Storm engine has bad memory leaks so one has to quit and restart periodically in order to reset the game, or something, to keep it from randomly crashing.

Is this fixable? :shock

Wait, what is completely broken?
As far as I'm aware, nothing is completely broken. Some stuff may not be perfect, but it is all quite playable at long last.

I just installed the Beta 3 update and it seems great so far - I had been playing with whatever "stable" version was available on ModDB. I'm away from my computer for a few days but will try to report any bugs I find when I get back on Saturday.
You were using Beta 2.5 still? Awwww, the Beta 3 test version is SO much better!
The only reason it isn't publicly released yet is because we want to test it a bit more; but it is just about ready.

I seem to be progressing very very rapidly. I am now at level 18 and Devlin, who started at level 12, is now at level 17. Is there some way to slow my progression down?
Open PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and find:
Code:
#define SKILLS_UP_BONUS       35         // From 10 to 99 - speed of player's skills-increase
Decrease that value to make your skills go up slower.
If I understand correctly, that will apply to other characters in the game as well, so you shouldn't be immediately be putting yourself at a disadvantage.
Hopefully that helps.

Is this fixable? :shock
If possible at all, it won't be easy. We don't exactly have many coders working on the game and the main one we DO have (eg. me) has just about had enough of it for a while.

buccaneer camp.jpg
Open PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and find:
Code:
#define SKILLS_UP_BONUS       35         // From 10 to 99 - speed of player's skills-increase
Decrease that value to make your skills go up slower.
If I understand correctly, that will apply to other characters in the game as well, so you shouldn't be immediately be putting yourself at a disadvantage.
Hopefully that helps.

What other characters are affected by this? I want to slow myself down in relation to my officers.

Also, it seems that some officers are "smarter" than others and advance faster. For example, it seems that Rys Bloom advances faster than Baldewyn Coffier.

EDIT: There seems to be a small problem with the dialog of Eugene Martin at the Hispaniola Buccaneer Camp store.

Last edited:
What other characters are affected by this? I want to slow myself down in relation to my officers.
You'd have to try. I never played around with that setting.

Also, it seems that some officers are "smarter" than others and advance faster. For example, it seems that Rys Bloom advances faster than Baldewyn Coffier.
That's odd. Any difference in tick marks?

EDIT: There seems to be a small problem with the dialog of Eugene Martin at the Hispaniola Buccaneer Camp store.
Confirmed. The dialog line numbers there were all 1 too high. Fix will be in the next update. :doff

The Tick marks on the the F2>Character screen that indicate which skills characters get a boost on.
The ones you select yourself when selecting your player type as well. :rolleyes:

Back