• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

"A work of art with graceful gilded lilies and scroll work emblazoned on her bow and stern, and gilded railings on her gunwales. A golden dream of a vessel..."
As per the above quote, she does have a lot of gold on her now! :onya

Do you like the lanterns? I was wondering if I should have the cage golden with the top and bottom grey like I do now, or the top and bottom golden with the cage grey?

Thanks guys for the awesome compliments. I was hoping to make her look beautiful.
me.gif

Do you like the lanterns? I was wondering if I should have the cage golden with the top and bottom grey like I do now, or the top and bottom golden with the cage grey?
Good question; I hadn't really paid attention to that yet. Do you have a stern shot with the colours swapped for comparison?
I was thinking that it might make more sense to have the middle gray-ish; there IS supposed to be fire in there, so I think that wouldn't work wonders on the gold after a while...

That's what I was thinking. I'll swap the colors then. Eventually the gold of the cage would look black anyway. So I'll do the tops and bottoms.

Finally got the damn stripes right. Now I can make them black and paste them on the Pearl so it has properly aligned stripes.

And here is a shot of the lanterns with the colors swapped.

Fullscreen capture 11282011 35754 PM.jpg Fullscreen capture 11282011 35807 PM.jpg

Ah crap I messed up the color on those things on each side of the windows.
mybad.gif
Ugh. That was a semi difficult one too.

There. Fixed.
me.gif

Fullscreen capture 11282011 44955 PM.jpg

Imma start bump mapping it now and release her. Then I have to make a couple texture adjustments to the Pearl. And the QAR when Armada does those surfaces for me.

AND I think I may have finally discovered by accident how to get the Pearl's sails the way I want them.
keith.gif

After all that is done, I gotta texture the damaged Pearl. That will be interesting. All I gotta do there is add battle damage.

Hey Pieter, should I still make a Naval Wicked Wench texture? I know Bonjourmonami was pushing for that.

After all that is done, I gotta texture the damaged Pearl. That will be interesting. All I gotta do there is add battle damage.
There's no storyline purpose for such a version, so I personally don't care much about such a re-texture.
Doesn't mean she shouldn't be done though; nothing wrong with making Bonjourmonami happy, is there? :cheeky

I certainly don't mind making a Naval texture just for him. He DID give us these beautiful models after all. It's the least I can do.
doff.gif

I stayed up all night and did all the texturing for the Wicked Wench overnight. lol Kinda tired now.
rolleyes.gif

I need to wrap the Wench, Pear, and Revenge up so I can focus on your video. I haven't worked on it since I recorded that video of the Greek fire.

Still need to add bump mapping for a final touch, but she is otherwise finished.
me.gif
I'm calling it the Wicked Wench: Reboot.

380546_316185351726311_307492605928919_1274960_1642668252_n.jpg

Well done on the Wicked Wench, she looks wonderful. I must doff my hat to the awesomeness that is your texturing ability LS :doff

Well done on the Wicked Wench, she looks wonderful. I must doff my hat to the awesomeness that is your texturing ability LS :doff

Thanks. I really seem to have a knack for it.
keith.gif
And I take my hat off to you for such amazing model work!
bow.gif
I'm just wrapping up the Wench and some Black Pearl updates and I will post them. And I haven't forgotten about your Naval version of the Wench.

Good news! I've finally gotten the Pearl's sails to look good!
me.gif
The solid ones look pretty nice. Now I just have to do the patched and cursed versions. I will include those in my update pack.

Sounds great! If you make two different patched sails and sails with holes, we can bring some variety in the placement of the patches and the holes on the various sails.
Especially the patches can look quite repetitive when repeated exactly the same on every single sail.

Thanks. I really seem to have a knack for it.
keith.gif
And I take my hat off to you for such amazing model work!
bow.gif
I'm just wrapping up the Wench and some Black Pearl updates and I will post them. And I haven't forgotten about your Naval version of the Wench.

Good news! I've finally gotten the Pearl's sails to look good!
me.gif
The solid ones look pretty nice. Now I just have to do the patched and cursed versions. I will include those in my update pack.

If/ when you get round to doing a Naval Pearl, could you please use the damaged one, you know give her some added character. Not that she needs it of course

The damaged one? Ok. Good thing you told me. I was gonna use the undamaged one.
danse1.gif

Wait what? You want me to make a second set of patched and cursed sails? I guess I'll figure it out. FKWOLF55 designed the patched sails, and Armada designed the cursed sails before I modified both of them. But I'll give it a shot. Two sets of sails would look a lot less repetitive. Pieter, you need to tell me how to assign a second set of sails to a ship. I don't know how to do that.
dunno.gif

Here are the new solid black sails used by the newly-risen Pearl and any other ship that wants solid black sails. What do you think? I'm wondering if the hue is off. The sails match the Pearl in color pretty closely in the movies.

ENGINE 2011-11-29 07-44-14-40.jpg

Pieter, you know in the sail menu where you can pick out whatever sails you want? Can you add the Queen Anne's Revenge's sails to that list?

Pieter, you need to tell me how to assign a second set of sails to a ship. I don't know how to do that.
dunno.gif
Just replace:
Code:
	refShip.EmblemedSails.normalTex = "sail_whole_black_patch2.tga";
refShip.EmblemedSails.nationFileName = "sail_whole_black_patch2.tga";
With:
Code:
	refShip.EmblemedSails.normalTex = "sail_whole_black_patch1.tga";
refShip.EmblemedSails.nationFileName = "sail_whole_black_patch2.tga";
This will make half the sails use texture 1 and half the sails texture 2.

Pieter, you know in the sail menu where you can pick out whatever sails you want? Can you add the Queen Anne's Revenge's sails to that list?
I thought I already did that! But that interface seems to be a bit messed up. The pure white sails are in there three times or something. :modding

Oops. Accidentally bump mapped some Wicked Wench textures twice.
mybad.gif

i thought something looked odd. I'll fix that ASAP. At least I caught it before I released it.

What result does double bump-mapping have? 4D effect instead of 3D effect? :wacko:

What result does double bump-mapping have? 4D effect instead of 3D effect? :wacko:
Or maybe the texture jumps out of the screen and becomes a REAL 3D object... :rofl

Actually though, I think it only makes the effect stand out a bit too much for the intended purpose.
Normally that means it will add too much depth to the image, which looks weird in some cases.

Back