• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

Try this file.

Thanks mate!
me.gif

I've been busy sorting out all of Bonjourmonami's updates today, and with a good - but not perfect - success rate.
LS, see this file for the four different Pearl versions, each with different features modelled onto them: http://www.pyratesah...s_26-11-2011.7z
You can use these updates to apply the separate textures you're working on.

The update includes the following:
- BlackPearl: standard uncursed model, now has double-sided stern lanterns, enhanced railings, support beams on the cabin roof, lifeboats and cargo on deck.
The path model has been updated so the player can't walk through the lifeboats or a few of the cargo items.
- CursedPearl: same as BlackPearl, but now has a modified figurehead more faithful to the first film.
- DamagedPearl: damaged version of BlackPearl, no lifeboats, but same features otherwise.
Path model changed to prevent player from walking into some cargo items, but CANNOT yet enter cabin.
- WickedWench: same as BlackPearl, but no figurehead.

BlackPearl, CursedPearl and WickedWench should all work correctly in-game, but the DamagedPearl does not work for some reason.
Every time I export it to GM format, something goes wrong and it can't be read in TOOL to have its locators added.
I'm using the same export settings that worked for the other ships, so I'm completely stumped as to why this version acts differently. :modding

Odd. Bonjourmonami isn't gonna be happy about that. I think the damaged Pearl is his favorite.

Alrighty, I'll update the textures for specific Pearls and post them.
me.gif
Good work mate.

We need to do SOMETHING for those spirals on the QAR railing. It's always looked a bit odd to me. I'd suggest the best would be to make an addition to QAR_Extras.tga.tx and make a simple circle surface so I can texture either a spiral or the skull and crossbones design.

Crap. Aramda, the Pearl has some serious issues. Idk id it's UV mapping or the model, but something is very much off. Look:

[attachment=7654:moddingNGINE 2011-11-27 04-16-44-86.jpg] [attachment=7655:moddingNGINE 2011-11-27 04-16-51-06.jpg] [attachment=7656:moddingNGINE 2011-11-27 04-17-08-17.jpg]

[attachment=7657:moddingNGINE 2011-11-27 04-17-28-52.jpg] [attachment=7658:moddingNGINE 2011-11-27 04-17-36-90.jpg][attachment=7659:moddingNGINE 2011-11-27 04-17-50-85.jpg]

[attachment=7660:moddingNGINE 2011-11-27 04-18-07-23.jpg]

We need to do SOMETHING for those spirals on the QAR railing. It's always looked a bit odd to me. I'd suggest the best would be to make an addition to QAR_Extras.tga.tx and make a simple circle surface so I can texture either a spiral or the skull and crossbones design.
Trying to tempt me to modify the QAR, too? Now who's giving whom more work? :rolleyes:
OK, I'll take a look at it. Hopefully I'll only need to move some UVs, I'll add another surface if I need to.
Is it every spiral that needs the skull-and-crossbones feature added?

Crap. Aramda, the Pearl has some serious issues. Idk id it's UV mapping or the model, but something is very much off. Look:
Don't panic! That's just a missing texture for the path file, by the looks of it. Here you go: http://www.pyratesah...ed/Blank.tga.tx
I don't know why that hasn't happened until now, though. I thought that texture was included in a patch already. :?

Trying to tempt me to modify the QAR, too? Now who's giving whom more work? :rolleyes:
OK, I'll take a look at it. Hopefully I'll only need to move some UVs, I'll add another surface if I need to.
Is it every spiral that needs the skull-and-crossbones feature added?

Sorry, I don't mean to pile more stuff on you, but it really needs something. And I thought a simple circle shaped surface wouldn't be all that tough. The QAR only has two spirals. One on each side. However, each spiral has two sides. so 4 circle surfaces would be needed. They're all gonna use the exact same texture.

Armada, do you have the Ship_init.C code for the damaged Pearl? I never got that.
dunno.gif

I have finished the bump mapping for the Black Pearl. I have also finished the unique texture tweaks for the cursed, uncursed, and standard Pearls. Haven't done the damaged Pearl's unique texturing yet. that will require some experimentation.

As soon as I finish messing with the code, I'll post the updates.

Sorry, I don't mean to pile more stuff on you, but it really needs something. And I thought a simple circle shaped surface wouldn't be all that tough. The QAR only has two spirals. One on each side. However, each spiral has two sides. so 4 circle surfaces would be needed. They're all gonna use the exact same texture.
No worries, I didn't mean to say it was a problem. I was just getting my own back for you saying I gave you more texture work. :razz
Only two spirals makes it even easier. I'll see what I can do.

Armada, do you have the Ship_init.C code for the damaged Pearl? I never got that.
dunno.gif
I never made an entry for that ship, so you'll have to do it yourself for now.
Just copy the BlackPearl code and change the refShip.name line to "DamagedPearl" and make sure refShip.id = refShip.name (without quotation marks), and that should do it.

Alright!
me.gif

I'm FINALLY done with the unique textures and codes for the different Pearls (except for the Damaged Pearl and Wicked Wench). I have to go out and run a few errands, but I'll post those updates as soon as I get back. But here are some screenies:

Standard Pearl

Fullscreen capture 11272011 74228 AM.jpg

Un-cursed Pearl

Fullscreen capture 11272011 74414 AM.jpg

Cursed Pearl

Fullscreen capture 11272011 74309 AM.jpg

Now I just gotta make the sails look good for each version and I will be 100% done. Then I just need to make those textures for the QAR spirals and then I'll turn my attention to the damaged Pearl and the Wicked Wench.

I really think I can get everything done in time for the release.
keith.gif

I never made an entry for that ship, so you'll have to do it yourself for now.
Just copy the BlackPearl code and change the refShip.name line to "DamagedPearl" and make sure refShip.id = refShip.name (without quotation marks), and that should do it.

Ok. That should actually suffice for the damaged Pearl. I think her stats should be the same as the standard Pearl. Unless we wanted to make her a tad slower due to her damage. But she still needs to be fast. I'm thinking make the stats identical to the standard version. I don't know yet, but I might need some of those special UV surfaces for the damaged Pearl. I need to experiment first, but it wouldn't surprise me if I needed some for those areas where the railing is blown apart and where there are cannon holes. This one is gonna be fun adding the battle damage.
me.gif

Also, do you think I should add maybe a few holes here and there to her sails (make a 4th unique Pearl sail texture)? I think it would go nicely with the whole damaged look.

And I'm doing 2 versions of the Wicked Wench, correct? Naval and official?

Those textures look fantastic! Nice work! :keith

Ok. That should actually suffice for the damaged Pearl. I think her stats should be the same as the standard Pearl. Unless we wanted to make her a tad slower due to her damage. But she still needs to be fast. I'm thinking make the stats identical to the standard version. I don't know yet, but I might need some of those special UV surfaces for the damaged Pearl. I need to experiment first, but it wouldn't surprise me if I needed some for those areas where the railing is blown apart and where there are cannon holes. This one is gonna be fun adding the battle damage.
me.gif

Also, do you think I should add maybe a few holes here and there to her sails (make a 4th unique Pearl sail texture)? I think it would go nicely with the whole damaged look.

And I'm doing 2 versions of the Wicked Wench, correct? Naval and official?
Agreed on keeping the Damaged Pearl's stats the same as the standard Pearl. It makes sense, really.

As for the battle damage, I think you'll find there's already some plain wood textures where parts have been blown open, such as the railings and the mizzen mast in the cabin.
Still, there's plenty of opportunity to add more damage scars to the hull.

Seeing as the sails aren't actually meant to be damaged much, I don't think it's worth another sail texture. As it is, we already have quite a few more textures in general than we did before.
The same argument could be said about the Pearl/Wench versions. Do we really need two different hulls for the Standard and Un-cursed Pearls, seeing as they're so similar?
I'm just saying that we're trying to resist adding more models and textures than we really need, because otherwise Beta 2 will be absolutely huge. :shock

Seeing as the sails aren't actually meant to be damaged much, I don't think it's worth another sail texture. As it is, we already have quite a few more textures in general than we did before.
The same argument could be said about the Pearl/Wench versions. Do we really need two different hulls for the Standard and Un-cursed Pearls, seeing as they're so similar?
I'm just saying that we're trying to resist adding more models and textures than we really need, because otherwise Beta 2 will be absolutely huge. :shock
It's going to be huge whatever we do, but anything we can do to tone down on the size would be much appreciated. I'm going to try to clean up as much as I can and I'll try to apply some compression to all the Build-added textures too.
I think generally nobody uses the compression settings in the TX Converter and that is really hurting the modpack filesize.
It is actually possible to maintain close to the same quality with a lot smaller filesize in the file format we're using.

It's going to be huge whatever we do, but anything we can do to tone down on the size would be much appreciated. I'm going to try to clean up as much as I can and I'll try to apply some compression to all the Build-added textures too.
I think generally nobody uses the compression settings in the TX Converter and that is really hurting the modpack filesize.
It is actually possible to maintain close to the same quality with a lot smaller filesize in the file format we're using.

Sorry about that. No one ever told me about that.
nerbz.gif

Armada, the Damaged Pearl doesn't have her masts when I try to test her out in game, and it CTD's when I switch to first person view.

Alrighty, here is the updates for the 3 Pearls and the QAR. It has the bump mapping plus unique textures for the 3 Pearls. I also included my copy of Ships_Init.C for code updates.
keith.gif

Now I'm gonna finish up the sails then get to work on the damaged Pearl and Wicked Wench. And I'll also post the QAR update when I get those surfaces for the spirals from Armada.
me.gif

The end is nigh . . .
urgh.gif

BP & QAR.7z

Back