• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release AoP:CT - Historical Immersion Mod v5.0

To my best knowledge, these two constants don't exist in CT.
Of course I imagined adding those #defines.
Otherwise it wouldn't make sense. :facepalm

but then you are rewriting how the game works.
Isn't that the whole idea of modding?
Just instead of changing ships_init.c for every ship individually; you'd change all ships equally in the same spot.
I don't see a difference. :shrug

Just instead of changing ships_init.c for every ship individually; you'd change all ships equally in the same spot.
I don't see a difference.
The difference is you're adding an extra layer of complication on top of the original implementation. :rolleyes: The problem may not be apparent now, but after you start to add layer upon layer like this, the program becomes very difficult to oversee. This is how bugs are introduced into software. People take shortcuts, thinking they are simplifying, when they are actually adding unnecessary additional layers on top of the existing programming/design that actually complicate being able to oversee the code down the line.

You do this now and then forget about it. Down the line, someone else comes along and using that same constant for something else, changes the value of it. Suddenly the ship speeds start to change, and thinking that the program is still taking its values from the "ships_init.c" stats, you're standing baffled by a phantom bug.

And that's just with one extra layer. Imagine someone else comes along, and, unknown to you, like you, adds an additional layer to this implementation. Now you have two new undocumented factors affecting the outcome of this programming and potentially causing hard-to-track-down bugs.

But I digress. :ko

Last edited:
The problem may not be apparent now, but after you start to add layer upon layer like this, the program becomes very difficult to oversee. This is how bugs are introduced into software.
Taken to its extreme, that can indeed happen.
Not always. But definitely in some cases.
I've certainly seen examples of that on the PotC side.

Hello.
I'm using this standalone mod v5, but I've noticed this bug that is very mocking - If ships cannons get damaged in battle, after repairing them at shipyard (it doesn't get lower than 97%) to 100%, head back to sailing, the cannons are still red and don't fire. Noticed it on already few ships, right now I'm sailing War Galleon, which has 36 cannons, but it loads only 15 cannonballs, and fires only 4 shots from each side, although, cannons are repaired. Only way to bypass this I found is by downgrading and afterwards upgrading back, but it costs, well, a lot. How could I fix this 'bug' ?

Edit: Before War Galleon I used Sloop and Sloop of War, they had this bug, even tried to sell my War Galleon and buy a completely new one, still without changes. Now I purchased Light Frigate and this ship doesn't have this bug... yet(?)...

Last edited:
Sounds really weird.
But I'm not sure who might be able to help out with it.
I'm not aware of any Caribbean Tales players, let alone developers, being around anymore these days.

@The Nameless Pirate, @Hammie or maybe @ChezJfrey; would any of you have any clues...?

I have this weird bug with lighting: at night, every building and road is higlighted like in plain daylight. Only the sky and the character texture are properly portraying that it is night. This only occurs in city, no problem while at sea. Is there any way to correct this?

Hello and great thanks to making this wonderful mod.
I recently downloaded the mod file from modDB, and have been experiencing problems with launching the game. the game will crash right after the intro videos, any idea what went wrong?

Back