• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release AoP:CT - Historical Immersion Mod v5.0

I have a version dated 12-14-2017. Is that current enough? Anyway, here it is.

Attachments

• Program.7z
    894.8 KB · Views: 428
I don't have a torrent account. @ChezJfrey do you? I'm saying this because of the security issues for torrents.

Transmission is one open source and completely safe, professional client to use. There is nothing "unsafe" as such about using the BitTorrent technology, which was actually invented by an autistic IT developer, Bram Cohen:

You can create a new torrent with the Transmission client. The only trick is that you need to have a server that supports hosting a BitTorrent seed in order to keep the torrent link accessible. I'm not sure if ModDB supports hosting BitTorrent file transfers as an alernative to HTTP.

The big advantage with BitTorrent is that if a download is interrupted/broken, it can just continue where it left off without any risk of file corruption. That, as well as it puts much less strain and bandwidth usage on the hosting server. Hence why it is so useful for sharing large files over the Internet.

Edit:

FYI: A "tracker" is basically just the web address to a server that is hosting the created torrent file (creating a "seed").

Last edited:
My latest version on ModDB (based on the README and file metrics) is dated 2/3/18 so that program folder may be a bit outdated or buggy. I also noticed @Hylie Pistof, that it was just the program folder and not the rest of it. I am trying to pack my mega file into a 7z folder with maximum compression to see if I can post it here, otherwise I might have to put it onto my google drive. That is if google drive doesn't give me problems again.

The work done in this standalone mod looks amazing, but I am facing a weird issue that has taken much of the fun away.

Occasionally, but annoyingly often, when I depart a port, the speed of my ship is very slow, usually just over one knot even when having the wind behind me. It's not that the game is playing in slow mode, everything plays normally, it's just that my ship sails at a very slow speed.

My GOG copy of the game (Sea Dogs Caribbean Tales) with version 4.0 of the Supermod does not seem to have this issue.

Is this a bug? Am I being stupid with something?

Occasionally, but annoyingly often, when I depart a port, the speed of my ship is very slow, usually just over one knot even when having the wind behind me. It's not that the game is playing in slow mode, everything plays normally, it's just that my ship sails at a very slow speed.
I wonder if you are carrying a lot of cargo. If so, it may be a feature to make sailing more realistic -- since shallow waters, close to port, and loaded with cargo would mean you need to get out to the open seas before your ship picks up speed. Annoying maybe, but realistic.

However strong the wind may blow, you won't get its full benefits in the shadow of an island. And physics dictates that the heavier your ship is, the longer it will take for it to gain speed.

But I'm just wildly guessing here. :shrug

However strong the wind may blow, you won't get its full benefits in the shadow of an island. And physics dictates that the heavier your ship is, the longer it will take for it to gain speed.
True in real life.
Island wind shadow isn't a feature in PotC though.
Never heard of it being added in any of the newer games.

Ship weight and acceleration does play a role.
How much depends on the ship initialization values.
Maybe those were notably increased for this Realism Mod?

Didn't know where to post or how to post so i thought id post here, Just want to start out with a big thank you to everyone involved in making these mods you do amazing work, Havnt played for many years not since Potc build 13 came out, I've discovered one of my favorite modded games again hurrah :dance and Shout out to Pieter i remember you from when i last played, you were so helpful to us new players asking questions, I know it can be frustrating at times when us noobs try to do something relatively easy to you guys but is difficult to us lol,

Anyway i was wondering if anyone can help me i currently have Aop COAS GOF 2.0 with the maelstrom engine and without, I know you guys dont do the maelstrom lol but was wondering if could help me fix the font and character picture at the top when playing the game it is very small, i have tried changing config settings as well as the start.ini Screen x and y settings but still nothing, seems fine just on my laptop but when i use hdmi cable to my 4k tv it gets too small to read? Tried to join buccaneer to ask but no email confirmation came through :mad:

Anyway i was wondering if anyone can help me i currently have Aop COAS GOF 2.0 with the maelstrom engine and without, I know you guys dont do the maelstrom lol but was wondering if could help me fix the font and character picture at the top when playing the game it is very small, i have tried changing config settings as well as the start.ini Screen x and y settings but still nothing, seems fine just on my laptop but when i use hdmi cable to my 4k tv it gets too small to read? Tried to join buccaneer to ask but no email confirmation came through :mad:
@ChezJfrey is your man then. :doff

Dear pirate friends, if you please allow me I would like to get back to that supper annoying issue of very slow sailing.

Kindly download my save game entitled "YannisP San Juan 2" from Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files.

You may be able to confirm that the ship I have in the San Juan harbor moves with near zero speed almost no matter the wind direction and speed. Irrespective of any cargo or realism concerns, I find this very annoying.

I have ended going back to the unmodded GOG version of the game.

I love the Historical Immersion Supermod for its bevy of other improvements, but cannot stand the sailing speed issue.

I would appreciate your input or a way around it.

a way around it
Take a look in "Program/ships/Ships_init.c". You could compare the ship stats here with the unmodded game's for each type of ship. It may give you a clue as to what's going on if this whole issue is ship stat modification based, and a way to tweak/fix it to your liking for your game.

You can also speed up the passage of time by pressing the "R" key in-game while sailing (but I take it you already knew that, as it's a classic Sea Dogs standard gameplay feature).

Last edited:
Thank you for this great tip! I have started doing that, although it looks like a daunting task due to the length of the Ships_init.c file.

Start with the ship type that you're using in-game. That way you can test if the changes work after the first change. ;)

Once you find out which stat(s) you need to tweak, it should be pretty easy to change it on all the ship types by quickly going through them. (Just be sure to keep a backup of your file in case something goes wrong while you're making the changes.)

You may have to start a new game, though, for the changes to take effect. Some stats are saved in the Sea Dogs games in the save file itself, and will persist unless you start a new game.

PotC has these lines in PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIShip.c to increase the speed of ALL ships in one general spot:
Code:
       arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ = ARCADE_MULT_SPEED * stf(arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ);
       arCharShip.MaxSpeedY =   ARCADE_MULT_TURN* stf(arCharShip.MaxSpeedY);
Does AoP:CT have something similar?
If not, perhaps it is something that could be added without too much difficulty?

Could save the trouble of going through every ship separately...

PotC has these lines in PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIShip.c to increase the speed of ALL ships in one general spot:
Code:
       arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ = ARCADE_MULT_SPEED * stf(arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ);
       arCharShip.MaxSpeedY =   ARCADE_MULT_TURN* stf(arCharShip.MaxSpeedY);
Does AoP:CT have something similar?
If not, perhaps it is something that could be added without too much difficulty?

Could save the trouble of going through every ship separately...
It's slightly more complicated in CT (from the same file):
Code:
// some of ship parameters
   aref   arCharShip; makearef(arCharShip, rCharacter.Ship);
   ref       rShip = GetRealShip(sti(arCharShip.Type));
   float fShipSpeed = FindShipSpeed(rCharacter);

// wind power
   float   fWindPower = Whr_GetWindSpeed() / WIND_NORMAL_POWER; 
   float   fWindDotShip = GetDotProduct(Whr_GetWindAngle(), stf(arCharShip.Ang.y));       // Wind.ay | Ship.ay
   float fMaxSpeedZ = fShipSpeed * fWindPower;
   float fWindAgainstSpeed = stf(rShip.fWindAgainstSpeed);

if (fWindDotShip >= 0.0)
   {
       //\EF\EE \E2\E5\F2\F0\F3
       //fMaxSpeedZ = fMaxSpeedZ * (0.75 + fWindDotShip/1.5);
       fMaxSpeedZ = fMaxSpeedZ * (0.74 + fWindDotShip / (0.1 + pow(fWindAgainstSpeed, 0.8)));
       //Trace("FaceWind fMaxSpeedZ = " + fMaxSpeedZ);

}
   else
   {
       //\EF\F0\EE\F2\E8\E2 \E2\E5\F2\F0\E0
       fMaxSpeedZ = fMaxSpeedZ * (0.75 - fWindDotShip/3 - pow(abs(fWindDotShip), fWindAgainstSpeed));
       //float fSpeedCorrector = Bring2Range(1.0, 2.0, 0.00001, 1.0, fWindAgainstSpeed);
       //fMaxSpeedZ = fMaxSpeedZ * fSpeedCorrector;//* 2.0;
       //Trace("Backwind fMaxSpeedZ = " + fMaxSpeedZ);

}
   arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ = fMaxSpeedZ;
   float fShipTurnRate = FindShipTurnRate(rCharacter);

float fMaxSpeedY = stf(rShip.TurnRate)/444.444;
   float fTRFromSailState = 1.0;
   switch (MakeInt(fSailState * 2.0))
   {
       case 0: fTRFromSailState = 0.1; break;
       case 1: fTRFromSailState = 1.0; break;
       case 2: fTRFromSailState = 0.4; break;
   }

float fTRResult = fShipTurnRate * fTRFromSailState * fMaxSpeedY / 1.2;
   if(iArcadeShipSpeed != 1) { fTRResult = fTRResult / 1.3; }

// ===============
   // VANO :: update fTRResult using rotate with wind direction
   float fRotateSide = stf(arCharShip.speed.y);
   float fPrevWindDotShip = stf(arCharShip.WindDotShip);
   bool bShipTurnToWind = fWindDotShip >= fPrevWindDotShip;
   float fWindTurnMultiply = 1.0;
   if (bShipTurnToWind)
       { fWindTurnMultiply = Bring2Range(1.5, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0, abs(fWindDotShip)); }
   else
       { fWindTurnMultiply = Bring2Range(0.5, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0, abs(fWindDotShip)); }
   arCharShip.WindDotShip = fWindDotShip;
   //Trace("fWindTurnMultiply = " + fWindTurnMultiply);
   // ===============
   fTRResult = fWindTurnMultiply * Bring2Range(0.01, 1.0, 0.00001, 1.0, fTRResult);

arCharShip.MaxSpeedY =   fTRResult;

Last edited:
It's slightly more complicated in CT (from the same file):
Bit more complicated indeed.
What would happen if you replace this:
Code:
arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ = fMaxSpeedZ;
With:
Code:
arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ = ARCADE_MULT_SPEED * fMaxSpeedZ;
And this:
Code:
arCharShip.MaxSpeedY =   fTRResult;
With:
Code:
arCharShip.MaxSpeedY =  ARCADE_MULT_TURN * fTRResult;
?

ARCADE_MULT_SPEED
ARCADE_MULT_TURN

To my best knowledge, these two constants don't exist in CT. So the result would be crashing the program/game. The C interpreter would stop with a fatal error.

You could define/add these constants and assign them values, I suppose, but then you are rewriting how the game works.

Back