• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Adding More Music

No worries, mate. We all make silly mistakes. :doff

You can thank a simple virtual sailor for making the nation-specific tavern music so easy.
He added the pirate-tavern music code, which makes it very simple to do it for other nations also. :cheeky

Personally I'd suggest to have ONLY French songs in French taverns; otherwise it sort-of defeats the purpose of your mod again.
Same as that I really DON'T want to see Dutch ships under a French flag. Ever.
Realistically, it COULD be a captured ship, but if you can see a Dutch ship under French flag,
you don't properly notice the "nation-specific-ness" anymore. :facepalm

I have no clue really on Dutch tavern songs. At least not period ones.
I know a fun one called "In the hemel is geen bier" though.
That translates as "In the heaven there's no beer".
The second line is "And that's why we drink it here".
But including that in the game would be SOOOO wrong. :rofl

No worries, mate. We all make silly mistakes. :doff

You can thank a simple virtual sailor for making the nation-specific tavern music so easy.
He added the pirate-tavern music code, which makes it very simple to do it for other nations also. :cheeky

Personally I'd suggest to have ONLY French songs in French taverns; otherwise it sort-of defeats the purpose of your mod again.
Same as that I really DON'T want to see Dutch ships under a French flag. Ever.
Realistically, it COULD be a captured ship, but if you can see a Dutch ship under French flag,
you don't properly notice the "nation-specific-ness" anymore. :facepalm

I have no clue really on Dutch tavern songs. At least not period ones.
I know a fun one called "In the hemel is geen bier" though.
That translates as "In the heaven there's no beer".
The second line is "And that's why we drink it here".
But including that in the game would be SOOOO wrong. :rofl

Hehe, i know this song. There's a german version of this song, too. And you're right, that song shouldn't be in the game. :rumgone

Btw.
some of the english songs i want to use are not from the proper time period cause there refered to some events or persons that will apear a hundred years later.
For example in the traditional shanty "Haul away Joe" there is a line

"King Louis was the King of France before the revolution, to me
Way haul away, we'll haul away Joe

And then he got his head cut off, it spoiled his constitution, to me
Way haul away, we'll haul away Joe"

The revoulution was in the year 1789.

And there are some songs that mention the Black Ball Line which was the first sheduled trans atlantic service founded in the year 1817.

But there all sailor or seafaring songs so i think that will fit to the taverns.

I'm not sure about the spanish songs cause i don't speak spanish or portugese so i take mostly instrumental Flamenco or Mariachi based songs.

Hi it's me again and I need some advise from you, Pieter. Yeah, again. I know i'm pretty annoying :D) but this time it's nothing about coding. :)

I've found some songs i want to use in dutch taverns but i didn't speak any dutch (i hope they are in dutch :) ) so i don't know if they had the correct lyrics to be sung in a dutch habor tavern by dutch sailors.

Please could you listen to those songs if you found some time for that and tell me if they are in dutch and if they can be used in a dutch tavern? Maybe you can tell me in brief about what there will be sung.;)
I copy them to the FTP Server into my Folder /Jack Black/Dutch tavern songs.
Thanks in advance. Your help is highly appreciated.

Of course I want to help, but for now I am still aboard the ship, working much and not getting enough rest.
But next week I'll be back home again, so if I forget, please remind me in about 7 days or so. :doff

No problem. Don't hurry.
Thanks for your help in advance.
And fair winds and following seas to you. :piratesahoy!

Heard you had arrived safely at last? Glad to hear and welcome back on land mate. :doff

I'm still working on the music pack but i didn't put the dutch songs into it right now. I just want to wait to your thumbs up (or maybe thumbs down:) ) if they are really dutch seafaring songs or not.

And i have no idea for portugese music. Most of the songs i found where really sad and melancholic songs with really unhappy topics like "alone in a foreign country far far away from home" or "losing a love" or "leaving a beloved girl and never see her again" and so on and so forth. Very depressing music. :(
(like this one below)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q7Etx533_Y&feature=related )

This music style calls "Fado". Fado is a form of music characterized by mournful tunes and lyrics, often about the sea or the life of the poor and in the beginning often sung by sailors. (Quote by Wikipedia).

I start to believe that portugese sailors in that era where some kind of homesickness wimps. (no offense :) )

I don't know if i can use spanish music for portugese harbors and taverns too. But if there are no better music for portugal the spanish music should do i think.

Most of the songs i found where really sad and melancholic songs withreally unhappy topics like "alone in a foreign country far far awayfrom home" or "losing a love" or "leaving a beloved girl and never seeher again" and so on and so forth. Very depressing music. :(

Honestly, I wouldn't mind. I had a Portuguese sister and that was my story. While being depressed is usually the topic of our discussions, once we found common ground and strove to tackle said problems at their source the mood changed full circle. It's like an invitation to make things better and I think that's how it's supposed to work. It's a game of reverse psychology, where people with similar tales of sorrow band together.

Life on the high seas was never about Disney-esque adventure and bravado. If the Portuguese were realists then let them be. I would enjoy that greatly, being part of that culture myself :3

Some say that letting one's emotional and/or compassionate side makes people weaker, but god knows I love throwing my hair in the morning breeze knowing how the sacrifices of others had brought me a new beginning... and I would never once forget them. What is life without compassion in my rule? There's the foundation.

You know, talking about Fado like that made me smile. I've lived like that for ages! So when am I going to get some proper mournful Portuguese tunes, eh?

That would be like you say.

But if I compare it with the English or French sea shanties i found, then the differences between the themes still significant. They are generally happier, more optimistic than their portugese counterparts as far as i understand the lyrics. (ok, i don't speak portugese but i found some Fado songs on YouTube with englisch or french subtitles :) )

I don't want to believe that the portuguese sailors of that era were just a bunch of depressed guys who sit in a tavern and cry in their rum. Portuguese sailors are famous for often fulfilled their duty under the harshest conditions. Not for nothing that some of the greatest explorers have been portugese. And i think that's something portugese sailors would be proud of. There must be something what they sung when they have a good mood or when they were drunk.

Surely there will be some melancholic songs for every nation that will be played in the taverns too.
I had some of them for the spanish, english and french taverns but for the portugese taverns i don't want only the sad Fado inspired sailor songs. There must be something happier even for portugese. ;)

But I'll look again. Determined to find something else suitable.

First of all, I'll let you know that Dutch songs in general tend to get on my nerves and I don't usually like them so much.
Dutch1: Sounds like it's about the ship "Halve Maan"; might work as tavern song, I suppose.
Dutch2: Is it just me or does the music skip in the beginning? Sounds really bad...
Dutch3: This one sounds like fun.
Dutch4: "Hé kapitein, we nemen nog een borrel" translates as "Hey captain, we'll take another drink". I like it. :rofl
Dutch5: This one actually sounds familiar to me.
"Mooi is het meisje, maar lelijk is de moe" translates as "Pretty is the girl, but ugly is the mother." :razz
Dutch6: Music seems to do the skipping thing again. It's the famous ship about the girl who went sailing as sailor.

For the Portuguese, ask Bartolomeu. :yes

Do you have a nice version of "What Shall We Do With the Drunken Sailor" somewhere?

were just a bunch of depressed guys who sit in a tavern and cry in their rum.

That's exactly what I'm saying. That sort of psychology can result in strength.

There's a solemn side to duty, and sorrow in victory as well. Not all cultures depict strength as glorious and "better than thou".

First of all, I'll let you know that Dutch songs in general tend to get on my nerves and I don't usually like them so much.
Dutch1: Sounds like it's about the ship "Halve Maan"; might work as tavern song, I suppose.
Dutch2: Is it just me or does the music skip in the beginning? Sounds really bad...
Dutch3: This one sounds like fun.
Dutch4: "Hé kapitein, we nemen nog een borrel" translates as "Hey captain, we'll take another drink". I like it. :rofl
Dutch5: This one actually sounds familiar to me.
"Mooi is het meisje, maar lelijk is de moe" translates as "Pretty is the girl, but ugly is the mother." :razz
Dutch6: Music seems to do the skipping thing again. It's the famous ship about the girl who went sailing as sailor.

For the Portuguese, ask Bartolomeu. :yes

Do you have a nice version of "What Shall We Do With the Drunken Sailor" somewhere?

Thanks for your help. :gday
For me it's the same with german shanties. This is usually not my kind of music. :wp

I've got no skipping in sound in the songs 2 and 6. However, I am not entirely satisfied with those two songs either. I prefer songs where some more voices can be heard to generate that special tavern atmosphere and the illusion of singing sailors and pirates.

This is certainly a cliché, but ...hey... it's a computer game developed by Disney with hollywood like charakters and locations. So why not feed a cliché? :sail

I like the song "De Halve Maen" from Nanne Kalma and Ankie van der Meer & The Boekaniers. I think it's about a ship from the Dutch East India Company in 1609. I think that will fit well for a dutch tavern 70 years later. And it sounds very melancholic. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_Moon_%28ship%29

Concerning the versions of "Drunken Sailor". Yes, i have two very good versions of that song and a good version of "15 men on a dead mens chest". :)
They should be on ftp in my folder under /sea working shanties/Drunken Sailor and Drunken sailor 2.

Want to give a small update on the so called "Mega Music Pack" (working Title).
It's now included 155 music tracks from different pirate or seafaring movies as well as a lot of sailor songs from every nation that will hear in the taverns and cities (and yes, thats includes some of the melancholic fado inspired songs for the portugese ;) )

I'm testing it with Build 14 Beta 1 and its working well but now i'm a little afraid about its size. Its about 450 MB. I think this is somewhat excessive.

To give you a small overview, here are a little index, which music included in this music pack.

The first thing I took most of the tracks that have come with Build 14 but completly cut out the stock game music.
There is also the complete "Cutthroat Island" Soundtrack in it plus 9 additional tracks from the 2 Disc version of that soundtrack. (thanks to Pieter :) )
It also included the full soundtrack of "Pirates of the Caribbean - The Curse Of The Black Pearl".
There are some tracks from the movie "Apocalypto" that can be heard when exploring the jungle.
There are also some tracks from "Master and Commander", from "Captain Horatio Hornblower" (the old movie) and "The Mask of Zorro" for spanish cities in it. And two tracks from the "Muppet Treasure Island" Movie as well.
I also added a lot of sailor songs for every nation that can be heard in the taverns. Too many to name them all. There are the all time classics "Haul away Joe", "What shall we do with the drunken sailor?" or "Blow the man down" in it as well as "The pirate i was meant to be" from "The Curse of Monkey Island". :) and "A whale of a tale" sung by Kirk Douglas in the movie "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" and some dutch, french and portugese sailor songs.
In spanish taverns you can also hear some flamenco styled music and the Mariachi song from the movie "Desperado".
And also there is an irish instrumental traditional song that can be heard in shops and the ship yard called "the irish washerwoman". I think you know it when you hear it. ;)

I think there is some music i missed to mention but anyway it is a lot of music.
Need a little more of testing but i hope i can upload it within the next three or four weeks.

Have you tried compressing it using 7zip?

I reckon this will reduce the size of the file drasitically :yes

Sure, but that isn't what i meant. :)
I mean 450 MB only for music is way too much. Where does it end? 1 GB or 2?
The first music pack i made was only 80 MB big. And i found that was big enough.
But there is so much good music out there that can be used in a pirate game. To use all the music you will probably need a separate harddisk for that, i think. :nk

That does sound really good, Jack!
Sure it is big in size, but if it's an additional download,
people can decide for themselves whether they think it's worth it or not.
And you can decrease bitrate on the music tracks; lower quality, but smaller files.

Scaling down the bitrate does not necessarily bring a big difference. There will be approximately 150 kb less per track when i scale down the bitrate from 160kb/s to 128 kb/s. With 155 pieces of music that results in a saving of approximately 23 MB. I think it doesn't matter if the pack is 450 MB or 427 Mb big. And more than 128kb/s I will not lower the quality. Otherweise the music sounds like an old portable radio or a gramophone record.
Anyway, i plan to upload the whole pack and if somebody thinks it's too big, he can take the music tracks he like from the pack and make his own music pack with them. :shrug

Btw. do you know which music is associated with the ship's interior (captain's cabin, Cargo Hold and crew quarters)? I'm not sure if it is music_gorod or music_gorod 2 or a completly other connection.

Just re-purposing this thread:
How about adding some more nation-specific music to our game. There's some good stuff in No Man's Land: http://www.gamespot.com/no-mans-land/
I'm uploading the files now. Just need to think of where to put them to use. And we can finally give America its own music too!

Back