• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Where is the old abandoned fort at the Battle of Isla Mona

You expect for them to start running, and suddenly you explode. xD
Actually, I'm confused on why you DON'T explode.
After an ordinary attack, you do.
But not after a Thief's Knife attempted steal...

Out of these two he prefers the person attacking you with the building.
Because it is a funnier punishment than just loosing a building.
True.
Funny it is.

Completely ludicrous too. :razz

ahead and try then.
On that shack guy in Speightstown Port.
Yep, this should clear any doubts. :yes

Hmm...
I think I'd pretty much put both on the same level of nuttiness.
Not too big of a difference; is there?
The big difference is on how much screen time it gets, that why I classified it as less ludicrous.

Attached was the end result.
Now I cannot see the building items anymore.
And they don't remain un-equipped either.
So I can't steal them and they stay visible.

Also... I now GET ATTACKED BY THEM instead.
By a walking shack, wielding a very threatening-looking cannon.

Is this an improvement?
Difficult to say, really...
It's sure messy code though! That's for sure.

I also tested just generally assaulting that shack:
An instant explosion hits me as soon as I touch it with my sword; and I immediately DIE!
Even though I have Godmode enabled.
Then I resurrect in the tavern, head out back to port and IMMEDIATELY explode with reload back to tavern AGAIN.
WOW! These are some vengeful buildings indeed!!! :shock
What happens if someone else hits the shack? This is possible if you get into a fight with someone else in Speightstown port, e.g. a random mugger, then one of your officers takes a rotten shot and hits the shack instead.

What happens if someone else hits the shack?
The same thing that would always have happened.
I only changed the "itemsbox" interface, which only applies to player actions.

I'd assume the BuildingSet group would get upset and blow up whatever AI group attacked them.
But since you're asking, that means this is not a common occurrence.

It doesn't happen in my game because I haven't downloaded your new version of "itemsbox.c". ;) But indeed it would be a rare occurrence since the shack disappears before you next visit the port, which means the problem could only happen if a random thug attacked you right after you started a new game. That hashappened to me, which is why a recent screenshot I uploaded showing "Barbossa2" has a corpse in the background.

And the problem with rare bugs is that they do eventually show up...

It doesn't happen in my game because I haven't downloaded your new version of "itemsbox.c". ;)
Even if you do download it; it couldn't possibly make any difference for the example you mention.
Interfaces don't affect interactions between NPCs.

ut indeed it would be a rare occurrence since the shack disappears before you next visit the port, which means the problem could only happen if a random thug attacked you right after you started a new game.
That shouldn't be.
Those Speightstown Port buildings should stick around indefinitely.
UNLESS you mention to the guy that you think it looks like they're going to collapse.
If so, they'll be gone next time you get there.

Used to be that they get instantly destroyed when on that dialog option; but that stopped looking right at some point so I recoded it to happen one day later instead.
This was to avoid seeing the big destruction clouds, with the buildings not disappearing.

Also, for clarity's sake: Only reason I keep mentioning Speightstown Port is because that's a convenient testing location.
But it's general BuildingSet behaviour. Not necessarily limited to that location at all.

What happens if you attack the palisade in front of the Maltese Knight Abbey?
That location has a whole bunch of BuildingSet additions too.

I haven't attacked the palisade, but both I and other characters have accidentally attacked the extra trees which are Building Set additions in some places. The tree disappears and, if it was I or one of my officers who hit the tree, my officers then declare war on any other trees in the area. There are also some extra trees near the Hispaniola temple and the local Indians sometimes get into a fight with those.

Which reminds me. @The Nameless Pirate: send your brother into the jungle with his thief's knife. Yes, you can steal trees as well. And use them as weapons. xD

Regarding the whole should buildings attack, or not dilemma.
I tested both files, and saw that there actually is no punishment if you rob them.
If you run away and then come back, the building would be back.
Not a big problem, you don't get much out of them anymore.

I haven't attacked the palisade, but both I and other characters have accidentally attacked the extra trees which are Building Set additions in some places. The tree disappears and, if it was I or one of my officers who hit the tree, my officers then declare war on any other trees in the area. There are also some extra trees near the Hispaniola temple and the local Indians sometimes get into a fight with those.
The Caribbean tree wars, a truly dark time. xD

Which reminds me. @The Nameless Pirate: send your brother into the jungle with his thief's knife. Yes, you can steal trees as well. And use them as weapons. xD
Going to pass this to him, seeing as he preferred the buildings attacking you he will diffidently like this. :rofl

Madness.
MADNESS, I say! :whipa

One way or another, my code changes wouldn't affect that.
The only things I changed are:
1. The "loot inventory screen" doesn't show BuildingSet items anymore (so you cannot steal them)
2. The weapon un-equipping that's always applied by the interface is now undone again afterwards also for BuildingSet items

You can safely add at least #1 to the main mod.
That's definitely not going to cause more nuttiness than there used to be.

#2 can cause you to be attacked BY the building afterwards, which is weird; so I could imagine leaving that out...

So the "itemsbox.c" in post #32 should be safe but the one in post #34 should not? The first version only adds a couple of lines to skip "itmname_building" while filling the item exchange scrolls; the second version adds a whole lot more stuff.

So the "itemsbox.c" in post #32 should be safe but the one in post #34 should not? The first version only adds a couple of lines to skip "itmname_building" while filling the item exchange scrolls; the second version adds a whole lot more stuff.
The first one is definitely safe.

The second one re-equips the building again after the exchange.

You can safely add at least #1 to the main mod.
That's definitely not going to cause more nuttiness than there used to be.

#2 can cause you to be attacked BY the building afterwards, which is weird; so I could imagine leaving that out...
As much fun as running from a building is, I will have to agree that it is not the most immersive thing. :yes

I tried installing the safe "itemsbox.c" and it does indeed block the "Building Permit" from being looted, without any other odd effects beyond what you'd get from looting a building anyway.

"b_invisible.gm" might be invisible but it still casts a shadow, which means after I mugged a tree and stole its money, it was still possible to see a ghostly lizard running away. Even more amusing was what happened when I tried robbing the warehouse on Isla Mona. It is sufficiently large that hitting the building exterior does nothing because the invisible lizard is very small and somewhere in the middle. But I was able to walk through the wall to the centre, strike blindly with the knife, and get a lucky hit. The warehouse disappeared, the shadow lizard ran away - and my officer went chasing after it!

I tried installing the safe "itemsbox.c" and it does indeed block the "Building Permit" from being looted, without any other odd effects beyond what you'd get from looting a building anyway.
Thank goodness!
I would've been quite shocked if it wasn't so... :eek:

"b_invisible.gm" might be invisible but it still casts a shadow, which means after I mugged a tree and stole its money, it was still possible to see a ghostly lizard running away. Even more amusing was what happened when I tried robbing the warehouse on Isla Mona. It is sufficiently large that hitting the building exterior does nothing because the invisible lizard is very small and somewhere in the middle. But I was able to walk through the wall to the centre, strike blindly with the knife, and get a lucky hit. The warehouse disappeared, the shadow lizard ran away - and my officer went chasing after it!
:rofl :rofl

More silliness. Attack a building with a sandbag. It's stunned, so it sits at an odd angle and wiggles around.

Then I start exploding. I have a lot of HP so this is not instantly fatal to me. Other people in the blast radius aren't so lucky. So I've just stunned one of the stockades in Bridgetown near the abbey and have the most awesome hiccups you will ever see. I go up to a random citizen. "Hello." <BANG> "Oops."

Hitting a building with a cobblestone does not seem to cause explosive hiccups. Either that, or it can't hurt me if it can't reach me. I stoned the cannon emplacement at Havana port, which is placed outside the path so you can't walk up to it. It went wiggly, I survived, and so did all the inhabitants of Havana port.

BuildingSets and Special Weapons: Clearly a match made in heaven!

Coincidentally both the work of the great @CouchcaptainCharles.

Or perhaps...
NOT so coincidentally?
He did have quite the sense of humour! :cheeky

Back