• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Where is the old abandoned fort at the Battle of Isla Mona

smrtwhkd

Master Mariner
Is the the little grey fort on the beach near the lighthouse? I went there but there are no French soldiers. Also, you can go thru the walls and there is only one tow guy there. I don't see any other fort around?

No, that is just decoration. Head to the clearing which leads to the Indian village. From there are three exits: to the port, to the village, and to a pass which leads to the fort.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues, @Jack Rackham: perhaps we could move the "Build_at" commands in "PROGRAM\Locations\init\IslaMona.c" into "PROGRAM\Storyline\Assassin\StartStoryline.c"? "Ardent" and "Woodes Rogers" could then add whichever structures they need. I don't know if "Woodes Rogers" uses the fort or if it redirects locators to send you somewhere else from the clearing or from the pass; if you can get to the fort, you don't want to see the big cannons because they were blown up in the 1660's!

I use the fort (building) in the port only to hide the starting point for 2 running characters. So I'll still need it.
The storehouse is referred to in the dialog so I'll need that one too.

So if you want to get rid of those buildings in Ardent I'll have to add the "build_at" in WR StartStoryline.c. I have not tested if it works from there.

Another way is to make an exception in the IslaMona.c for Ardent storyline. Easier?

Does "Woodes Rogers" let you enter the fort interior? If so, the "Build_At" commands for the cannons could maybe go into "StartStoryline.c" for "Assassin" as that is the only storyline in which you should see them.

The "Build_At" commands for the warehouse and tower may as well stay in "IslaMona.c". For them, "Ardent" is the odd one out, while "Assassin" and "Woodes Rogers" need them. Rather than do anything storyline-specific in "IslaMona.c", anything which needs to be done for "Ardent" can be done in its "StartStoryline.c". There is already code to scrub the fort interior so that Ardent can never see the big cannons; I could easily use similar code to scrub the port area.

@Roger, the 3 paths for me are: 1. to the Indian Village, 2. To a mine, 3. Back to the landing beach with the lighthouse. Is the path to mine you are talking about? I went there already. I was a long winding path leading to a mine. When I got into the mine, there was nothing there. It was empty.

Screen shots attached:
1. Landing beach with the lighthouse behind me. The path on the left is the one leading to Indian Village. And the fake fort is on the right.
2. Next area after you exit the beach. The left path is to indian village, the right path goes a mine. The path in the middle just goes around that hut.
3. Entrance to a mine.

Attachments

• Beach.png
    Beach.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 268
  • Paths.png
    Paths.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 219
  • entrance.png
    entrance.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 259
From area 3, there are only two exits - back the way you came, and into the mine.

From the mine, there are only two exits - back the way you came, and... ;)

@Jack Rackham: any objection to me using your "storehouse_destroyed" model? If I'm going to scrub the port area to remove the tower, I could replace the warehouse with the damaged one, in keeping with this being about 30 years after the events of "Assassin".

@Jack Rackham: any objection to me using your "storehouse_destroyed" model? If I'm going to scrub the port area to remove the tower, I could replace the warehouse with the damaged one, in keeping with this being about 30 years after the events of "Assassin".
Would be a nice touch.
I like it. :doff

The reason I once changed the texture (to the green) was that it looked better. I used only the interior (the attic).

If you want to get rid of the green parts use "WarehouseDam.tga" instead of "WareAtticDam.tga".
Maybe make another randitem "storehouse_destroyed2.gm" which uses the original texture.
The file "WarehouseDam.tga" is in the game but only in "Textures".

My first thought was that the green just makes the ruin look mouldy and even older, so it didn't bother me.

It turns out that there's another "storehouse_destroyed" model in "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\upgrades". A quick look with GM Viewer shows that this one does use "WarehouseDam.tga". For "Build_at" to work, the model has to be in "RESOURCE\MODELS\Ammo\BuildingSet", so I have to make another copy of "storehouse_destroyed" anyway. To remove the green, all I have to do is copy the one from "upgrades" rather than the one from "BuildingItemsJRH".

Yes I liked the mouldy look too. Another way could be too change the WareAtticDam.tga so all walls are green.
It wouldn't make any difference/problem for me. This is how it looks for me now.
green attic.jpg

"Build_At" doesn't work properly with "storehouse_destroyed" after all. The ruined warehouse does appear, but there are a lot of messages in "system.log" about missing "Start" and "Finish" locators for a blade. This is because building items are also characters. Both the intact warehouse and ruined warehouse are copied from AoP and the originals have no such locators. Someone added them to the intact warehouse to create "b_warehouse.gm", but TOOL refuses to read "storehouse_destroyed.gm" so the locators can't be added.

So I did a bit of hacking inside my "initQuestItems.c" and "StartStoryline.c". Copying bits from "InitBuildingItemJRH" and "InitBLDexterior", I made a custom definition in "initQuestItems.c", created a new version of "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\outside\Mayak\mayak_ls.gm" to add a new "randitem" locator, then used your trick of placing an item on it and reducing its size to 0 so that nobody can pick up the item. Apart from showing the ruined warehouse without errors in "system.log", this has the advantage that I don't need copies of the model or texture files - I persuaded the custom definition to use the model from "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\upgrades". And that means nobody is going to look through the "BuildingSet" folder, find a ruined warehouse, try to make a build item out of it, and run into the same problem.

It does mean this version of the ruined warehouse only exists in "Ardent". If we want to make it more generally available, I'll need to add a new "InitBuildingItemJRH" line in "initItems.c", then copy the model and texture into places where that version can find them.

And as a finishing touch, Isla Mona in "Ardent" now has a different loading screen which shows the warehouse:
Outside_Mona.jpg

Someone added them to the intact warehouse to create "b_warehouse.gm", but TOOL refuses to read "storehouse_destroyed.gm" so the locators can't be added.
Someone added them to the intact warehouse to create "b_warehouse.gm", but TOOL refuses to read "storehouse_destroyed.gm" so the locators can't be added.
Check this out:
This thread talks about updates to .net framework causing the problem.

“Model could not be read” bug in “Tool”

I have an old XP machine and although I no longer use it connected to the outside world I didn't want to downgrade its .net with the uncertainty of upgrading again without connecting online. However I also have an old millenium laptop (hey I even have win 95 and 98 on plug in drives for it but they don't support usb) to which I took the current lineship1.gm and tool. I had to download .net framework 1.1 (there is a link in the help file - which gives an self-installer) for tool to work on Millenium but it then loaded the gm and I could read the locators.

So in summary confirmation that Tool will still read that model (and presumably the others that it refuses) on an old enough configuration. The thread also suggest a virtual machine with xp and net 1.1.

Success!

View attachment 37361

You need to use an older version of VirtualBox to get it working properly, as 3D acceleration is not supported in Windows XP in the latest version.
Version 5.2.44 works for me.

If you need help with finding Windows XP just PM me. ;)

So I did a bit of hacking inside my "initQuestItems.c" and "StartStoryline.c". Copying bits from "InitBuildingItemJRH" and "InitBLDexterior", I made a custom definition in "initQuestItems.c", created a new version of "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\outside\Mayak\mayak_ls.gm" to add a new "randitem" locator, then used your trick of placing an item on it and reducing its size to 0 so that nobody can pick up the item. Apart from showing the ruined warehouse without errors in "system.log", this has the advantage that I don't need copies of the model or texture files - I persuaded the custom definition to use the model from "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\upgrades". And that means nobody is going to look through the "BuildingSet" folder, find a ruined warehouse, try to make a build item out of it, and run into the same problem.
Clever! :onya

And as a finishing touch, Isla Mona in "Ardent" now has a different loading screen which shows the warehouse:
Nice touch, makes it just a bit more special. :dance

If you need help with finding Windows XP just PM me.
Since you have this already set up, perhaps you can edit "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\upgrades\storehouse_destroyed.gm", add the locators, then save the result into "RESOURCE\MODELS\Ammo\BuildingSet"?

Some time I might see about creating another custom load screen to be used for "Assassin", if I can get a decent view showing both the intact warehouse and the tower.

Back