• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Turks to Nassau

Should we rename Turks Island to New Providence?

• Total voters

Peter Blood

Privateer
This idea has been suggested in the past in a previous thread, but it was left dormant for a while. For the next patch or beta, I had an idea that we rename the Turks island to New Providence and make the pirate fort there "Nassau." The reason that I am suggesting this name change is because, though Grand Turk was an important island in the colonial Caribbean, New Providence was by far more significant in a piratical sense. It seems odd that this is a pirate themed game and New Providence is rarely mentioned at all when it was the most important pirate town in the Caribbean following the destruction of Port Royal. It was the pirate capital of the Caribbean until about 1718 when Woodges Rodgers was made governor. We fail to recognize New Providence in this game and it may be crucial, in a sense of being inclusive to a broader range of pirate history, to add it as an island. SInce we can not create a brand new island north of Cuba (unless doing it the Mona method, which would take too much work), I propose that we rename the Turks to New Providence. It already has a pirate settlement there, so that takes care of historical accuracy in a limited sense. On the flip side however, the Turks is an accurately placed island in our archipelago (it being just north of Hispaniola in reality) and there would be a discrepancy in the actual location of the island in accordance to where it is in real life.

I personally think that New Providence needs recognition in New Horizons and it would be easy to change the name of Turks to New Providence in the game files. So now I am asking you, what ye all think we should do. Should we keep the location accurate Turks, or change the name of the island to the slightly northwestern isle of New Providence...an island that was a substantial part of piracy in the Caribbean. If we were to add a NP, the Turks would be our most appropriate culprit to fix such.

I'm more in favor of geographical accuracy, tbh. Nassau is quite a way off the mark. Unless it's going to be more than just a name change, like actually adding history-based quests for nassau.

I'm more in favor of geographical accuracy, tbh. Nassau is quite a way off the mark. Unless it's going to be more than just a name change, like actually adding history-based quests for nassau.

I do agree with you for geography's sake. I also think that historically based Nassau quests would be interesting. Maybe a generic questline available for all stories where you have to help Woodges Rodgers hunt for pirates or something.

I'd like to hear from some of our other regular members like Armada and Hylie Pistoff, etc.

Who me? I'm torn. I like the name Turks and it is properly located.

Nassau is way out there off the map but it was important. What kind of quests could be done there?

posibly some privateering for Woodes Rogers in the future. Something available in all storylines. Similar to the missions in COAS. Perhaps you could meet famous pirates there and conduct expeditions.

About Woodes Rogers: As there already is one in the game I think it would be a good idea to
use him here too. That is, his model and why not the greetings he's using.
Strange with 2 different Rogers else.

Hmm, this is a difficult one.
On the one hand, Turks offers some geographical accuracy. However, in our fictional archipelago, since when has this been a priority?
The positions of most of the islands are completely wrong already, with less than half in near-accurate positions.

On the other hand, new Providence offers the prospect of new quests relating to historical figures and events.
I like the sound of new quests, but only if there's someone willing to make them, otherwise there's little point in changing the island, in my opinion.
Also, how would the name change affect existing quests?

As an aside, can someone remind me why we can't add new islands or move existing ones?
Clearly it's been done before, seeing as the stock game world map was very different to our current one...

Apparently it is a secret held only in the hands of those Russians. They somehow managed to do it. From what I hear, the only way to actually add new islands is to code it like Isla De Muerta or the method that Mona was added. Not possible to actually make a new island though based on actual island models...whether from POTC or COAS.

The open sea mod map makes the islands much much smaller so that there is a lot more room to add new islands, if it could be done.

It IS possible to modify the worldmap using Maya; we just haven't ever managed to do it ourselves here.

Where is the other Woodes Rogers?
What do you mean? The model is in the models\characters folder.
The init in WoodesRogers characters, but if you want to use him for a general
purpose a copy is needed to be placed in Nassau/Turks init file. (so all storylines can use him)

It IS possible to modify the worldmap using Maya; we just haven't ever managed to do it ourselves here.
Ah, so we just haven't had any modellers that have tried to change anything? I guess that would explain it.

So, what's to stop us from importing the CoAS world map model? Is it one big GM file like ours?
I know, there's a huge amount of work involved in the coding later on, and I don't know how Direct Sail would be affected, but still...

Or, for the time being, how hard would it be, code-wise, to add New Providence island to our existing map, instead of replacing Turks?
The modelling would be straightforward enough.

The CoAS worldmap is set up completely differently from the PotC one; that wouldn't work. :(

Well surely there are GM files of all the islands, right? :? How it's all coded is irrelevant; all we'd need are the island models, and to adapt our coding system to them.
Even if there are separate GM files, they can still be combined into one large file in Maya, which would make them compatible with our game.
I'm just curious about it, as I don't have the game so can't look into it myself (don't have the time, either :razz ).

All this is "in theory", of course. It's just handy to know what's possible and what isn't, and in the latter case, why.

Back