• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released the one and fifty three

So we have a dilemma between practicality and history.... :ixi

This "Artillery trough the Ages" is a very good read. :onya And as always, profound knowledge from your side.
For me, i did'nt know what to do about the cannons for today... so i sleep over it and decide later. Morgan, what did you think?

In the meanwhile i let the pictures speak:

and now good night!

Nice work Nightwatcher. :onya
She looks real ready for start. You know the start date? :dance

this has to be the most realistic ship we have at the moment. but as for the guns, i think that in terms of appearance i think it just looks a bit strange. this might be a case of 'reality is unrealistic', where something historically accurate looks wierd because it's not what you're used to seeing. and i'm used to seeing gunbarrels, especially those on the lower deck in your case, stick out about half as far as on your ship. i've never seen them like that, except for on old drawings of ships which had rather questionable perspective in the first place.

This ship is simply stunning to behold; great work, Nightwatcher! :doff
By the looks of things, she's nearly ready for the export process. Is that right, or do you have more work to do?

Yes, you are absolutely right! Reality is always unrealistic and boring, damn RL... xD: I'll look on all cannons when i'am ready to export her to Maya. Btw the royal navy became famous for the firing speed and accuracy. It seems to me to be realistic that they archived this trough better drill of the cannoncrews and also longer cannons as the length of a barrel is an clear indicator of better accuracy. Ok later they invented rifling that did another good job to balance the trajectory. Erm, you know what i mean, hopefully?!

I played meanly with light and shadow to archive the renderings. I would love to see such a lightning system in game, with luck if we get AoP3, maybe sometime?!

I think i am in the end phase of modeling her. Only small adjustments here and there, finishing the rigging(at the moment), her figure is missing... I hope to provide a first export tomorrow as i will be on vacation from friday till the 19th.

i have nothing against a long gunbarrel, in fact i assumed the ship had them, but that doesn't mean they stick so far out of the hull. but i've made that point already.

before:

after:

And, did they fit better now? ;) I don't think that they should be pulled more inside as they are now on the pics. They maintain the heavy look and also don't look as a short barreled version. I'am happy as they are now.

PS. The Mizzen and Jigger Mast (3rd and 4th) are finished! xD:

yeah, that'll do. that'll do very nicely.

oh, and nice try, but that's a bonaventura. the term 'jigger mast' only came into use since the construction of four masted barques and the like. although bonaventura might just be the spanish term, now that i think of it. i'm only going on what i remember from my books here.

I'am also not the expert if it comes to the naming of ship parts. As far as i know both bonaventura and jigger mast are correct. It is possible that the term jigger came later. :shrug

Ok, puh... i managed to get the standing rigging mostly finished. A few thinks are missing but most of her overall is done! Later in the evening i try to export her to maya and put the files on the FTP then. So Craiggo, you can finally begin with the other skins. I update here when its done.

Any last comments before the export begins? ;)

One question before you start exporting: are you aware of all the settings you need to apply to the model in Maya for the export to work correctly?
I'm only asking because I've seen great models like this made before, only to be problematic in the game because of bad exports, and I don't want this ship to be one of them. ;)

I'm pretty sure the tutorials don't cover everything, but they give you the general idea.
One piece of advice I've picked up myself: when exporting with Maya, try using the 'Blinn' material for the model. That tends to give the best results.
Another thing is scaling your model. You'll need to import a model from the game to compare with your own, otherwise there's no telling what it will look like in-game.

If you need any help or have any questions, feel free to ask either myself or any of the modellers here. I'm pretty sure Pgargon in particular knows how to do it all correctly. :wp

Ok, I think i ran out of time for this and the next week... So far i managed to import the hull trough .obj in maya. she showed fine but was missing her textures. Does maya have problems with multiple textures per object?! Or I'am too stupid to understand the workflow in maya? Has some one of you managed to use more then one texture file per object? I think it must work as i have seen a few models with more texture files in CoaS. I think it is my unfamilarity with maya that causes this, but i am not able to overcome it now before the vacation.
My wife will kill me or worse for sure if i work on the revenge tomorrow, it's our 5 year day, exactly! Have you ever seen a wild fury? xD:

If someone of you is willing to try to import her, the revenge, in maya, while i'am handling the fury :whipa , and can give me tips on how to archive the texturing there, it would be great.
I have put all necessary textures on the FTP under "nightwatcher/one_and_fifty_three/textures_tga.7z", the model is also there in .obj format, file is "Revenge_obj.7z". All parts are in separate obj files as needed later. I will have a look here tomorrow if more is needed.

Else i try and look at it after the vacation.... :cheers

@Nightwatcher, if you need support by build the path,ropes or import in maya, don't hasitate to contact me. I finish the Polacke this week for the German Mod and can help you. :onya

Pgargon, good to see you around again. I think he is on vacation and know that the files are on the COAS FTP, so if you want to garb them and get them worked on, I could help with whatever you don't get done or you could do the model locators, path and rigging and then hand her off to me and i will do the 2 other textures for her because you are better and faster then me at rigging/locator work and I am good at textures. What do you think?
icon_wink.gif

Yes Nightwatcher is in vacation. I talked with him befor he started. I have download the files of the HMS Revenge and will build it asap. I completed any thing on the model. Tomorrow I will finish the takelage and begin with the path, rope and sailorpoints. :onya

Revenge_02.jpgRevenge_03.jpg

Looking good pgragon, nice work mate! :woot

Back