• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released the one and fifty three

good lord, that ship's big.

as for the guns, they don't have ropes in PotC. i'm aware of the added realism, but it might be more polygons than it's worth to keep the ropes. unless you can reduce the polys by a pretty huge amount.

Armada made some nice cannons with ropes for the light frigates. I bet Craiggo also has some nice cannons.

looks really good to me!
me.gif

I also think that the added realism, trough ropes, is worth the effort of rebuilding the cannons. I will need 2 versions because they use different wagons. With all you can see at the pictures I'am at 38000 Tris. For the cannons i plan to use up to 1000 maybe 1500 tris each. That would be ~1/4 of the Tri amount from the shown cannon model that is in use in GoF. If this cannons are in use in the AoP version then i doubt that there would be any problem with the Tricount.

Through staring at ships and walkfiles in GMView it seems to me that the walkfile is at floor level. To be sure i will try to import an hull and walkfile in 3DS.

I finally managed to join the mirror with the hull so it looks pleasant and after a few hours of searching, i managed to find the original coat of arms of Elizabeth I. I like to belief that this one is with 80-90% chance the original as used in 1577.

The tackle does really add to the realistic effect. All the ones Craiggo has done on the old models make them look 300% better on deck.

I think your model looks freakin GREAT!!!! The Coat of Arms is perfect!

You know I've been thinking that a Flemish variant of this model would really be nice. Instead of geometric shapes, have lots of little archway designs and lots of alternating black, red and yellow stripes. On the back a big yellow shield with a black Flemish lion. Perfect for the old privateers and pirates raiding out of Oostend during this time. It would be a great alternate hull texture idea. I will dig out some graphical/photo examples.

MK

The tackle does really add to the realistic effect. All the ones Craiggo has done on the old models make them look 300% better on deck.

You know I've been thinking that a Flemish variant of this model would really be nice. Instead of geometric shapes, have lots of little archway designs and lots of alternating black, red and yellow stripes. On the back a big yellow shield with a black Flemish lion. Perfect for the old privateers and pirates raiding out of Oostend during this time. It would be a great alternate hull texture idea. I will dig out some graphical/photo examples.

MK
Oh, yes, please. I work best if i have an graphical example of some kind at hand. Something like the black "Golden Hind" hull variant?

I reread some of my earlier posts and hope that my comments about the polycount of the cannons with ropes was'nt so harsh as it reads now. It was'nt meant so, i only thought that, that amount, would be better split and could be used at other parts. But then the engine can handle it, so why not.... :shrug

Time for the daily update. :rolleyes:

What does you think about the rudder house?

good enough. slightly taller than i'd imagined though, but you've got the blueprints.

fair enough.

in other news, sleep is for the weak!
and i get funny when i'm sleepy... there's no knowing what'll happen next.

do not poke the sleepy. it is like you do not poke landmines for fun.

or maybe you do, it is the internet after all.

MK
Oh, yes, please. I work best if i have an graphical example of some kind at hand. Something like the black "Golden Hind" hull variant?

I reread some of my earlier posts and hope that my comments about the polycount of the cannons with ropes was'nt so harsh as it reads now. It was'nt meant so, i only thought that, that amount, would be better split and could be used at other parts. But then the engine can handle it, so why not.... :shrug

FYI, make sure you make the masts and all of the shrouds, daedeyes, and ratlines separate so that when the ship is de-masted the shrouds, daedeyes, and ratlines don't stay floating in the air.

Hear is my version of the golden hind that I made for GoF:

NewFastGalleonHull1B.jpg

NewFastGalleonHull1C.jpg

FastGalleonBow.jpg

FastGalleonHull1Deck.jpg

NewFastGalleonHull1.jpg

NewFastGalleonHull1D.jpg

Hi Craiggo, really nice showcase of her. :onya I kept one or two of hers in my actual playthrough, also i am able to command 3rd rate by now.

Every mast is an extra object and not attached to the hull. The shrouds i made so far are attached to the corresponding mast, so they will be lost too she is dismasted.

If the offer of yours still stand, i could give you the texture files for the other color variants. As MK suggested a flemish and an greenish one maybe. What do you think?
PS. I tried to zip the .psd's so you can work with the original files for qualities sake but they don't come under 297 MB with best compression selected. Do you know a good way of exchange with lesser MB?

Does these ornaments look good on her? I don't know if i should like them or try other ornaments.... What does you here think?

love it.absolutely breathtaking
But not on her - the contrast between "geometry paint" and those "flowing colors" is just too big... like two worlds meeting each other, or more like the complex ornaments intruding the world of beautiful simple paint.

later ships would massively profit from such ornaments, but a relatively early galleon like revenge...
?

Does these ornaments look good on her? I don't know if i should like them or try other ornaments.... What does you here think?

I like it. The constrasting geometric patterns were very common for the time, but so were flowery touches/motifs, especially on the beakhead and upper poop gunwales. You see that in some of the pics of the models I've provided. Its very subtle. If it were larger and covering the whole surface, I would say it's over the top, but I think you have it right.

Here's a contemporary picture I stumbled upon.

MK

Attachments

• quarter_deck_location_117.jpg
    quarter_deck_location_117.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 128
Me think that both of you are right. On the one hand the ornament with the flowers and curves i saw on many pictures and it somehow feels right there. On the other hand it looks a bit too filigree...

I will search and try out another set of brushes with a bit stronger lines...

yep. Craiggos galleon above has some flowing rounded ornaments, but they are stronger, a bit simpler. Less "filigran" and fragile. :onya

i just googles Ornaments, chose pictures.
maybe one of the many black and white profiles can be turned into a photoshop brush?

yep. Craiggos galleon above has some flowing rounded ornaments, but they are stronger, a bit simpler. Less "filigran" and fragile. :onya

i just googles Ornaments, chose pictures.
maybe one of the many black and white profiles can be turned into a photoshop brush?

i got some new brushes earlier, but please when you find some that suit her its always welcome. Tomorrow is the earliest i can continue work on her. So let em flow... ;)

Back