• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Spanish translation

How much of the Mod remains to be translated? I say this because I'm finishing with the Sea Dogs TEHO and I may be encouraged to translate some of the stories, as usual I would do it if it can be incorporated into the Mod.

How much of the Mod remains to be translated? I say this because I'm finishing with the Sea Dogs TEHO and I may be encouraged to translate some of the stories, as usual I would do it if it can be incorporated into the Mod.
Hard to say. A good amount of the dialogs are "translated", but so badly that they need a full rewrite and I don't consider that translated, to my standards. Everything in RESOURCE is done, including most of the UI (except a number of log messages scattered all over the program files) and questbooks. A good chunk of the general dialogs (not quite 50%), all Freeplay dialogs, at least part of Hornblower and the entire Gold-Bug dialogs are also done. Beyond that, there are some entire storylines that don't even have a SPANISH dialogs folder, and a lot of autotranslated gibberish (most of the stuff dated before 2021 really, as whoever did the autotransaltion even overwrote some of my previously trranslated dialogs).

I've noticed the FINAL Build 14 didn't have my last fixes from December 8th, and of course the newly added Drake Stranton character wasn't translated, so here it goes, one, maybe last? update to the old Storm NH.

Attachments

• RESOURCE.zip
    70.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
there are a few shipmodel descriptions added for Maelstrom: NH since I added a few paint variants of various ships. If you want to do your spanish translation for Maelstrom, too; I'd suggest to check it out too (if you don't have it, I send you the file so you can translate it)

Weel, first order of business with Maalestrom is to replace all Spanish dialog files, as they are codified in UTF8 which messes with the special characters, making every á, é, ñ, etc appear as a "?". Using the files straight from NH, codified in ANSI, fixes this. In the UI I haven't noticed this but many accents are missing altogether, so I'll look into that next.

Ok, I figured it out. Once properly codified, all special characters are displayed except ó, which shows as a regular o instead. Probably a font issue?

Yes, i think this is it
1641217741150.png

Last edited:
Replacing NH Maelstrom's interface normal font eng.tga.tx and interface normal font light eng.tga.tx with their counterparts from old NH fixed the problem

Replacing NH Maelstrom's interface normal font eng.tga.tx and interface normal font light eng.tga.tx with their counterparts from old NH fixed the problem

We are using the HD fonts, so yes, it could be a problem. But I could rescale the old NH font for you so that it looks better.

Hard to say. A good amount of the dialogs are "translated", but so badly that they need a full rewrite and I don't consider that translated, to my standards. Everything in RESOURCE is done, including most of the UI (except a number of log messages scattered all over the program files) and questbooks. A good chunk of the general dialogs (not quite 50%), all Freeplay dialogs, at least part of Hornblower and the entire Gold-Bug dialogs are also done. Beyond that, there are some entire storylines that don't even have a SPANISH dialogs folder, and a lot of autotranslated gibberish (most of the stuff dated before 2021 really, as whoever did the autotransaltion even overwrote some of my previously trranslated dialogs).

I've noticed the FINAL Build 14 didn't have my last fixes from December 8th, and of course the newly added Drake Stranton character wasn't translated, so here it goes, one, maybe last? update to the old Storm NH.
It's a shame that the good work done is lost because of this kind of mistakes, I have little left of TEHO and maybe I'll continue with the 'Legendary Edition' if it doesn't have much new content...

I looked at the archives of the standard story at the time if I have time I will continue there.

Just
We are using the HD fonts, so yes, it could be a problem. But I could rescale the old NH font for you so that it looks better.
Just adding the missing accent to the lower case ó (probably the dieresis on the ü aswell) in the texture files I mentioned above would be enough. I tried that at first but somehow messed it up so I resorted to copypaste the font from NH, not realizing the difference in quality.

Now, it's time to address the state of the translation in light of NH reaching its final build. The translation is still largely unfinished, probably still several years away from full completion (the other translation project I'm working on will fill most of my translation time for another year at least). Will the Storm version of the mod be updated further (@Grey Roger , I guess this is mostly up to you)? Or should I pack and move to the Maelstrom version? According to @Mirsaneli , the translation works in there, so I wouldn't be losing any progress.
For several reasons, I will keep on using NH, i.e. Storm 2.0, unless/until Storm 2.9 becomes available. So any updates I compile will be for NH.

Could you translate these files, please? "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\blaze_dialog.h" and "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\Josephine Bonassieu_dialog.h" now both contain material for the "Devlin Opera" storyline, while "interface_strings.txt" contains some sidequest-related on-screen messages which were not previously translated. "ShipModels_descriptions.txt" contains descriptions for some new ships including a few from @KillPhil.

Attachments

• blaze_dialog.h
    27 KB · Views: 57
  • Josephine Bonassieu_dialog.h
    2.2 KB · Views: 73
  • interface_strings.txt
    123.2 KB · Views: 65
  • ShipModels_descriptions.txt
    30.7 KB · Views: 71
For several reasons, I will keep on using NH, i.e. Storm 2.0, unless/until Storm 2.9 becomes available. So any updates I compile will be for NH.

Could you translate these files, please? "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\blaze_dialog.h" and "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\Josephine Bonassieu_dialog.h" now both contain material for the "Devlin Opera" storyline, while "interface_strings.txt" contains some sidequest-related on-screen messages which were not previously translated. "ShipModels_descriptions.txt" contains descriptions for some new ships including a few from @KillPhil.
Any context on this line?
"Well, I may be the punching bag, but you, Chico, you're the scabbard!"

"Devlin Opera" gives you a choice of three ways to complete a major part - as Beatrice, Blaze or Bonnie. If you choose Blaze, you take part in a boxing match which you're supposed to lose. One of your opponents is Chico. If you do lose to him, you get your revenge a little later when you fight him with swords, and that line is you gloating after you've killed him.

Now, it's time to address the state of the translation in light of NH reaching its final build. The translation is still largely unfinished, probably still several years away from full completion (the other translation project I'm working on will fill most of my translation time for another year at least). Will the Storm version of the mod be updated further (@Grey Roger , I guess this is mostly up to you)?

For various reasons, I'll not be sailing into the Maelstrom, so any updates I release will be for NH, i.e. Storm 2.0. And they'll be released right here on the forum as usual.

Welcome back, @Homo eructus! :cheers

If you're ready for some translating, see what's new in the current update:
https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_1Jan_updates_081122.zip

In addition, these are a pair of files which will be in the next update, hopefully some time this month. As well as anything new in the 22nd November update, these versions have new entries for a new type of ship, the privateer lugger, which will make its PoTC debut in the next update.

Attachments

• common.ini
    79.7 KB · Views: 41
  • ShipModels_descriptions.txt
    31.7 KB · Views: 40
1670883547000.png

The nationality string in the new questbook entry for the Agent start seems to be missing the translation code

Other than that, here's the updated resource folder, including the newest common.ini and ShipModels_descriptions

Attachments

• RESOURCE.zip
    203.2 KB · Views: 33
The nationality string in the new questbook entry for the Agent start seems to be missing the translation code

Other than that, here's the updated resource folder, including the newest common.ini and ShipModels_descriptions
Well spotted! Try this version of "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\DIALOGS\Agent_crewman_dialog.c". There were a couple of other calls on 'GetNationDescByType' which weren't preceded by 'XI_ConvertString' so you may have seen similar mistakes in dialogs.

Thanks for the translations! :cheers I'm hoping to put out an update before the end of the year, so all your new work can go into it.

Attachments

• Agent_crewman_dialog.c
    12.9 KB · Views: 37
Back