• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Spanish translation

DiegoEspinoza

Landlubber
Is there any Spanish traduction for the mod Build 14.1 New Horizons =? I´m a Spanish gamer... and I don´t control very well the English :D

Regards!!

We arent going to be doing any translation versions until we have what we see as a finished product :no

Is there any Spanish traduction for the mod Build 14.1 New Horizons =? I´m a Spanish gamer... and I don´t control very well the English :D

Regards!!

You can already start on that translation thing, that way a lot has been done untill the final release. Also you will learn your english :yes

Things do change a lot though every patch so work will need to be re-done. I would say to wait myself (and the game can help you learn english ;))

Nobody ever finished a translation; it's a lot of work and every time something changes,
it has to be updated in the translated files as well, which is even more of a pain.

I'm fluent in english and in spanish also! I can help whit translations!

Yep but as we have already said a translation project isnt a smart move atm cause it will just become obsolete to quickly and need to be done again :facepalm

When we release a final product then a translation project could happen :yes

I came back to the mod and I must said my hat is of to y'all I have blast playing every time, I'm still available for a Spanish translation of the mod sense it looks well polished by now.

I 'm Spanish too and I have no problems with the dialogues in English , it is more my original potc is in Castilian , dialogues and voices, and I always forget

but would ask for if someone can move the original files on your potc in English voice dialogues and maybe solve some bug , which I think is due to that.

thx

I'm interested in fully translating the mod into Spanish, if that is possible and if it does not require very advenced coding skills. I'm sure many people in Spain and Latin America would appreciate this mod but a lot of them may be put out by the language barrier. I know the mod is constantly growing and adding more stuff so no translation can ever be final, but I guess the best moment to start one would be right after a big release like 4.0, considering it'll be some time until the next big batch of content. When that comes, hopefully the translation could be updated.

But I don't know where to start. I have some experience translating mods for Mount & Blade Warband but those are easy because all you normally need is in a dedicated language folder you can create automatically with the mod files that need translaton. PotC doesn't have such commodities, I'm afraid, so I wouldn't know which files and parts thereof need translating and what would mess up the code if touched.

PotC does have some multi language support, but for a long, long time now we just haven't cared at all about supporting that.
Many people started on doing translations, nobody ever finished. Partly because of the rather huge amount of work; partly because stuff still changes too much.
By now, I basically figure that the mod might as well remain English only, because apparently doing a translation is just not realistically feasible.

Dialog files for the main game are in "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH". Storylines have their own folders, e.g. for the "standard" story ("Tales of a Sea Hawk") they're in "PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\DIALOGS\ENGLISH". The files themselves are plain text. You can edit them with Notepad, Wordpad or whichever other editing program you like. For example, here's "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\Enc_bandit_dialog.h":
Code:
string DLG_TEXT[10] = {
"Hey, you! How can you dare to enter this sacred haven of our order?",
"What do you snuffing here?!",
"!",
"Umm.. eh.. I thought this was just a normal church, and came in to prey on your.. eh.. pray on my knees, being a devote christian.",
"Hey, I've heard that someone with a lot of influence and a LOT of gold has put a price on your head! Well met, I say, hehe! This is the day that I'll become rich...",
"Wrong, this is the day that you'll become history...",
"This is not a public church, this is an Abbey of the Maltese order, and only monks, novices and knights of the noble order are allowed in here!",
"I see",
"...",
"Looks like my SKILLS were insufficient for THAT approach. Or was it just bad luck? Well, I hope my fencing will be more successful than my playacting...",

};
The only code is that line at the top which tells the system how many lines of dialog text to expect. Each line needs to translate to one line so that the structure of the dialog remains the same, otherwise the code file which controls the dialog won't work. Also, observe that each line is in quote marks and ends with a comma. You can put whatever you like between the quote marks.

Some dialogs have place-holders, such as this in "Charlestown_citizen_dialog.h":
Code:
"What do you know about #sCharlestown#?"
That will be replaced by something suitable when the dialog is used - in this case, the name of the town, which can be different depending on the time period in which the game is set.

And that's about it. You'd presumably need to put your files somewhere else, possibly "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ESPANOL", though I've no idea how to get the game to use them.

That looks simple enough, for the dialogs at least, even simpler than Warband. What about menus, quest journal, onscreen notifications, items, ship types and all that? Do they have their own files for each thing aswell or are they scattered all over different places? I'll check myself but I am away from the pc right now.

My CDs have the game in Spanish so I should be able to take a look at how it handles the folders for different languages and even save some time and effort for the vanilla story.

And that's about it. You'd presumably need to put your files somewhere else, possibly "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ESPANOL", though I've no idea how to get the game to use them.
I still have some ancient Build 14 Alpha 9 based translation files that I could upload.
In theory, the Options menu allows you to switch between languages IF there are other languages.

That looks simple enough, for the dialogs at least, even simpler than Warband. What about menus, quest journal, onscreen notifications, items, ship types and all that? Do they have their own files for each thing aswell or are they scattered all over different places? I'll check myself but I am away from the pc right now.
RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS contains a lot of stuff, notably descriptions and questbook texts.

However, as I said, for a long time we did not bother supporting translation for newly added text.
So all sort of on-screen messages and other things are indeed scattered all over the place.

After our experiences with translations over the past ten years, I sincerely doubt if it is worth the trouble.
So before you decide to proceed, I recommend you to have a very good think if you really want to.
It will be a large task.

I'd like at least to try. And if I can't find everything, at least have a working partial translation for the more important stuff. Knowing the text structure is pretty straightforward, translating in itself I find quite enjoyable so even if it comes to nothing in the end, it keeps me entertained.

Fair enough. Then I think the best is to start looking in the RESOURCE\TEXTS folder and tackle some of the main INI files in there.
That should take care of a lot of the interfaces so that at least things are starting to look Spanish. :cheeky

Thanks, I'll check it out. I've been taking a look at DIALGOS and TEXTS and most things seem to be there, and whatever is not seems easy enough to spot in the other files.

I won't make much progress if at all in the next month or so because I really should be studying way harder than I've been so far, for a competitive examination to become a teacher in the public school.

Back