• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Simplified Code for Build 14 Beta 3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, but is there any way to see which sword and pistol is which ? or just randomly change the numbers and see which sword is in-game ? Also can i change what pistol they have ?

Yeah program/items/inititems.c and start at line 2058 the "blade id value is the one you want to use and the names are on the end of each line.

nb: Have the odd felling i am helping too much here so ima shush from here on.

Anyway, extract this on top of Build 14 Beta 3.2 to add all the latest fixes and remove all the controversial new features:
http://piratesahoy.net/build/b14_beta3-3_wip3.exe
Just to check, before I try installing this:
Do I really need to install Beta 3.2 first, or will Beta 3.3 work properly when installed on top of Beta 3.1? What about on top of a fresh installation of the stock game - will Beta 3.3 work there, or does an earlier Beta 3 version need to go on first?

That explains why some version of Beta 3 has to go on first, but why Beta 3.2? Wasn't the whole idea to revert back to Beta 3 and then add the bugfixes? What would happen if Beta 3.3 were installed on top of Beta 3.1?

The Beta 3.3 files are NOT Beta 3.1 with only some fixes; they are only the code files needed to remove the Beta 3.2 unfinished features.
So if you install on top of Beta 3.1, you would be missing all model and texture files that were included since Beta 3.2 .
That is why the Beta 3.3 WIP always had to be installed on top of Beta 3.2 and not an earlier release.

When I get the chance some time soon, I will make a PROPER installer for the Beta 3.3 WIP files.
One that DOES include everything needed and makes for a less cumbersome installation process. :facepalm

I have no complaints about the way Beta 3.3 works, but I just had to download Part1 and Part2 again from MODDB and noticed that there are no instructions that I could see as to how to install them.
There is no mention of putting them in their own folder.
There is no mention of not unzipping them as they unzip themselves.

If I didn't already know how to do it I would be unable to install it at all.

You could scroll through the bug tracker and start working on anything that interests you. We will help.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/forums/build-mod-bug-tracker.161/

Last edited:
I have no complaints about the way Beta 3.3 works, but I just had to download Part1 and Part2 again from MODDB and noticed that there are no instructions that I could see as to how to install them.
There is no mention of putting them in their own folder.
There is no mention of not unzipping them as they unzip themselves.

If I didn't already know how to do it I would be unable to install it at all.
The installer was a bit of an experiment, because I tried to set it up to be nearly fool-proof.
If you do it wrong, the installer should give an error explaining the problem and refuse to work.
I keep being amazed by the number of people who manage to bypass those fail-safes though.

For Beta 3.3, I will experiment with changing the extension on the archive file, so people won't know they could theoretically extract it with 7-Zip.
Hopefully that'll work. And I could put some explanation in the file description of course, just in case on or two people actually do look at that.

I know. The idea was that you wouldn't need them, because far too many people skip right past them anyway.
Clearly I was wrong and I'll rectify it for the next release for the people who do manage to find them.

Ok tell me this. Is there any place on MODDB where it tells you to create a folder and put Part 1 and Part2 in it? I could find nothing about that and only did it because I already knew we are supposed to put them in their own folder. If I didn't know that I would unzip them looking for installation instructions just like every one else who comes here looking for help on how to install it.

Do not mean to be rude by chiming in here but people like this are out there -

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1109-age-of-pirates-2-question/

Saw that on the naval action forum last night and coulden't stop laughing for some reason it was like homer Simpson looking for the any key , i think some people are just always going to get confused no matter how many instructions there are. So far with Pieters install wizzard i have just been able to run it from my downloads folder no need to even move it or the folders so its pretty solid i think. But a "download then click" instruction wouldn't go astray just in case.

Last edited:
What? They don't have to be in their own folder to work? Pieter said to do that on day one and I have been telling everyone that for over a year. I have PMs going on now with people trying to get them sorted out. It is a steady job.

Installation can be problematic. If I remember correctly, when I first tried to install it I extracted files and then realised - this doesn't work. And then I saw exe file. After that it all went very smoothly. There should be just simple instruction - use .exe file while both parts of the game are in same folder as .exe. That's it.

For me personally i just read the instruction of "Use this IN COMBINATION WITH "Part 2: Contents Archive"" saw the .exe when they were downloaded and went from there :beer: never had any issues with the files themselves i dont think and like pieter said he designed them to be foolproof which they seem to be but i guess i am not your average pc user :shrug

Last edited:
What? They don't have to be in their own folder to work? Pieter said to do that on day one and I have been telling everyone that for over a year. I have PMs going on now with people trying to get them sorted out. It is a steady job.
They do have to both be in the SAME folder, otherwise the EXE installer can't find the archive.
They should also not be in the PotC game folder, because that does weird things if you try.
Both situations have a check on them in the EXE Installer so if you don't do it that way, the installer will tell you.
See here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/installation-query.23838/#post-491324

Hopefully for the actual Beta 3.3 release, I can come up with something more clever. So I'll try to address it soon. :yes

For me personally i just read the instruction of "Use this IN COMBINATION WITH "Part 2: Contents Archive"
That is basically what I had been hoping for. But one way or another, you can't win for everyone.

Didn't I already say I am going to do what I can to make things better for the Beta 3.3 release? What more do you want me to do?
Yes, I could change the ModDB descriptions straight away. But I want to get that Beta 3.3 work under-way instead!
And I believe you have the rights to change those yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back