• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Pack Details and Updates

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
Ahoy everyone! :dance

This topic is where I'm going to post news and details about future ship packs from now on.
It's mainly to keep things in one place, as opposed to making a new topic for each pack.

So anyway, here is what I've got planned for the next ship pack: :keith
EDIT: Please note, this pack will be released for both PotC and
CoAS, though content will vary between games.
Also, I plan to release two versions for PotC: a 'Full' version including the Xmas pack, and a 'Lite' version for those who already have the Xmas pack.

Christmas Ship Pack Content (for the full version only):
This is to be included for the sake of making it available to the ModDB community, without renaming that pack or waiting until next Christmas!

Below is the contents for both the full and lite versions of the pack.
New ship models:
  • Poseidon third rate (plus RN version and 'Le Fleuron' version), by Jabberdau (converted from PotBS by Jack Harrison; further work by Craiggo and Armada)
  • San Felipe, by pgargon
Improved/fixed ship models:
  • Surprise1 by pgargon- improved version of HMS_Surprise
  • Couronne1 (La Couronne) by pgargon- lighting fixed; textures and rigging improved.
  • Felipe1 (Apostol Felipe) by pgargon- [ditto]
Modified ship models:
  • - Armada -
  • HMS_Interceptor- hull and yards re-textured; uses pure white sails by default
  • HMS_Dauntless- hull texture refined; notably stern details.
  • HMS_Endeavour- [ditto] + masts and deck re-textured
  • RN_BattleFrigate- deck, hull (particularly the netting) and yards re-textured
  • FR_BattleFrigate- deck, netting and yards re-textured
  • US_Constitution- hull, netting and yards re-textured (to better resemble the real ship)
  • RN_SteamFrigate- deck, hull and yards re-textured
  • FR_SteamFrigate- deck and yards re-textured
  • US_SteamFrigate- hull and yards re-textured
  • Victory1- hull colours refined (to better resemble the real ship)
  • US_Victory- deck, masts and gun ports re-textured, and hull colours refined (all to better fit US Navy paint scheme)
  • FR_Victory- deck and gun ports re-textured, and hull colours refined
  • RN_Warship- hull re-textured, and re-rigged, + hull raised to fix floating crew.
  • Lydia models- textures and rigging reworked
  • Corvette1_47- rope locator compatibility issue fixed
  • - Craiggo and Armada -
  • Galeon5- two new textures to replace the old one; rope locator compatibility issue fixed
  • SP_BattleGalleon_Weathered- full re-texture; rigging improved and extra details added
  • FR/RN/SP_SotL- new and improved textures; extra details added
  • PO_SotL- replaced by US_SotL, with same improvements as above
Extras (PotC-related):
  • Pieter's adjustments to the Christmas Ship Pack (Full version only)
  • More encounter chances corrected by Armada
  • New sails and interface picture for the Cursed Black Pearl*, by Armada
  • New ship descriptions by Scoundrel and Armada
  • BattleFrigates + Constitution can now be repainted between each other, by Armada
  • SteamFrigates can now be repainted between each other, by Armada
  • New version of the 'Pure White' sail texture by Armada
  • New ship type naming system (experimental version) by Armada
  • Increased draw distances for ropes and 'vants' by Baste and miklkit
  • American Navy flag updated for historical accuracy in the 'Revolutions' period, by Armada
  • More American ship names added by Legendary_Spider
  • Fixed, improved and brand new walk files for several ships, including the BattleFrigates, SotL's, and Galeon5, by Armada and Craiggo
  • Improved AI behaviour for navigation against the wind (simple version), by iR4tiOn4L
Update: I'm sorry to say that Jack Harrison cannot finish his HMS Surprise model in time for this pack's release, so it has been omitted.

Update2: The pack has changed quite a bit, with a couple of models omitted due to more time needed to work on them.
This includes the improved Black Pearl rigging, the Raa frigate, a few of pgargon's ships, and a some of Craiggo's detail work.
Apologies if this is a disappointment for anyone, but the pack needs to be released this week, before I go back to college next week, so sacrifices were made to keep it on time.

Please note that the CoAS release will probably be delayed after the PotC release, as the porting may take a while.

I'll be looking forward to those images; not sure what to expect from your retextures. :rolleyes:

I'll be looking forward to those images; not sure what to expect from your retextures. :rolleyes:
In short: nothing drastic. Just minor changes which make the models a little more refined.
I've been very careful not to stray too far from the original textures; I've just built upon them.

Take the Lydia, for example. That's a fairly nice hull with a low-quality texture.
So I've changed the deck to match deck.tga, and improved the hull while keeping the main shape.
How does it look...?
[attachment=6019:newLydia.jpg]

I'll post some more pics later today.

Thanks guys! Now I know I'm going in the right direction. :keith

Right, here's some more images:

We all know that RN_Warship plays the part of the HMS Justinian: the first ship you use in the Hornblower storyline.
Therefore, it only seems right to make this ship look as good as it can, while trying to base it on the Justinian.
Despite only finding a grand total of about two images of her on the internet, I've managed to tweak the textures and rigging to closely resemble her.
One main difference is that, through texturing, I've removed the flagpole at the stern. (but this meant making yet another new deck.tga variant)
This isn't the first time I've tweaked this ship, but hopefully it's the last now. :cheeky
So, what do you think?
[attachment=6031:Justinian_new.jpg]

Following a similar route to the Lydia frigate, I've also changed the deck texture of Galeon5 to match deck.tga.
At the moment, that's all I've done to it. The hull texture is a bit more complex, and I don't really fancy changing that right now.
Still, here's the new deck:
[attachment=6032:Galeon5_deck.jpg]

Speaking of Lydia and Galeon5, it seems they both have more ropes than previously thought.
Both ships have 'fal' locators, which PotC doesn't like, so I've replaced the lot with the more familiar 'rope' versions.
This should help to make these vessels look a bit more realistic, and make them less likely to walk the plank for Beta 2. :walkplank

US Navy ships now:
Those who downloaded the Xmas pack will already know how incredible the US version of the HMS Victory is.
But I took things a step further, re-texturing the masts and parts of the hull to get the most authentic US Navy paint scheme. (I hope; do correct me if I'm wrong anywhere!)
See for yourself:
[attachment=6033:US_1stRate.jpg]

The USS Constitution was already a well-textured highly detailed model, but again I wanted to push the boundaries higher.
To match the paint scheme a little better, I've tweaked the hull texture a bit.
Plus, I've also re-textured the yards from brown to black, and improved the netting to allow you to see through it.
What do you think?
[attachment=6034:Constitution_hull.jpg] [attachment=6035:Constitution_nets.jpg]

More images to come. ;)

Hi, the Surprise is done, i'll upload it as soon as i can, it needs only the ropes, and a fixing on the yards, happens a strange thing, when a mast falls down it loses the wrong yards... Then i'll rework the Lydia, because i like her too...

I love the see through netting mate. can you add dead-eyes to the ratlines? By the way, she was called old ironsides because she had 2 or 3 feet solid american oak and nothing would penetrate her hull, not because she had actual Iron sides or plating.
hear is my re-texture of the Lydia that I made along time ago.

LydiaAfter1.jpg

LydiaAfter2.jpg

Nice... Anyway the ship that i'm doing will not be anymore the Lydia rework, i changed it too much, she looks more like an old frigate...

Hi, the Surprise is done, i'll upload it as soon as i can, it needs only the ropes, and a fixing on the yards, happens a strange thing, when a mast falls down it loses the wrong yards...
Thanks again jack! I can't wait to see your latest work on the Surprise.
I've never heard of a yard problem though. Might just be something to do with locators; I'll look into it when I've got the files. ;)

I love the see through netting mate. can you add dead-eyes to the ratlines?
That requires me to a) have some dead-eye models to use, and b) know how to successfully re-export through Maya.
The latter is the deciding factor, so at the moment, I can't change anything. :facepalm

By the way, she was called old ironsides because she had 2 or 3 feet solid american oak and nothing would penetrate her hull, not because she had actual Iron sides or plating.
Ah... thanks for putting me right there! Need to brush up on my facts. I'll re-word that post slightly. :cheeky
Luckily, the texture isn't strictly 'iron'. It's just a very dark wood, to match the paint scheme, which could also look like iron.

Nice... Anyway the ship that i'm doing will not be anymore the Lydia rework, i changed it too much, she looks more like an old frigate...
Firstly, I'm amazed at the Lydia's popularity! :shock
Secondly, even if you've changed the ship quite a lot, I'd still like to see the outcome... :yes

When i can i'll open two topic, in this time i done a brig, a steam ship and this frigate, but internet on my pc still doesn't work, anyway i thinked of calling the frigate Liberty, and making it a pirate one, what about?

More ships are certainly welcome! (As long as I don't get too many in one pack... :shock )
How finished are they?

Thanks for offering, Craiggo! I'll be sure to give you the details when I've got all the models ready for compiling. :doff

Back