• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Screenshots thread

Santo Domingo looks nice shortly before sunrise.

Attachments

• domingo.png
    domingo.png
    989.4 KB · Views: 514
it's always been in the game
Define: "always".

The original game featured zero brothels.

At least MY (hard)copy didn't.
And by now I managed to get a SECOND one of those...
By "accident".
For free.

For "verification (read: comedy) purposes"...
Of course. o_O

So with your knowledge of all stock POTC locations can you confirm that every location except town building interiors has at least one random item spot? I've made a thread about it a while ago (link below), so I find your post a good occasion to ask.
When I first played the stock PotC, I explored everything and made a habit of picking up things everywhere. And I can confirm, that every PotC-place has a location for a random item. However, in the stock game the probability of finding something there was much lower, than it is now. And in the outskirts of Sao Jorge, that location is too high up on the city wall for the player to reach (and the icon to show). I only discovered that, when a later build had a sword as the random item and it stuck out from the wall.

The other ladies in the main room now have a revised dialog - it's always been in the game but was never used until now. As well as various innuendo, there's this:
View attachment 40917
Were they in the text from the original Russian game? Oho, the Russians are a much more cynical bunch: slaves in the cargo, rapes and now brothels, which are actually the most tame of those things.

About the Disney line, I actually find it funny. Aside from Disney's questionable decisions which I will not get into, most of the fantasy part of the game is based/from Disney.
So she probably caught you mumbling about ghost ships and Fishface.

Sadly I forgot to make a screenshot when I encountered none other than Captain Henry Hill today.

"As far back as I remember I always wanted to be a US navy captain"

Sadly I forgot to make a screenshot when I encountered none other than Captain Henry Hill today.

"As far back as I remember I always wanted to be a US navy captain"
Who?

Some of our staff might get the reference...
I fear that this is beyond me...

Man how I wish the colonies actually had more variety in their looks. Having identical towns really kills the charm of each location.
We did what we could to reduce the repetitiveness through alternate textures, layouts and added geometry.
But even then...

We did what we could to reduce the repetitiveness through alternate textures, layouts and added geometry.
But even then...
That just doesn't add up to the charm of the stock game. If anything it still cheapens things because whatever one does the similarities are apparent. In order to really improve upon the original one has to design entire new towns in the style and spirit of the original colonies. And by that I mean doing away with the laughably large designs like Tortuga and Havana (and even Oranjestadt).

But I guess all of that's too difficult to do, and perhaps somewhere along the way the enthusiasm for the project fizzled out. That, and I suppose there simply aren't enough competent modders out there to turn this project into its full potential - possibly the best pirate game in existence.

Last edited:
That, and I suppose there simply aren't enough competent modders out there to turn this project into its full potential - possibly the best pirate game in existence.
Certainly we're limited in number.
The only way we got as far as we did is by a Ship of Theseus "estafette" style approach over near to 20 years work now.

We never had many gifted modelers of our own.
And the ones we did made mainly ships.

Things would be different if more people with skills orb interest enough to learn would join.
But this has always been a place where "you want it? We'll help you do it" works best.
Just asking stuff often just gets lost to Davy Jones' Locker.
Demands or complaints work even worse.
That's what you get with a ragtag bunch of 100% freelance pirates.
Everyone just does what they can and want.
Nothing more nothing less.

I wonder what's in that shop next to the big arched building in Santiago?
tailor_distant.jpg

Let's go in and take a look...
tailor_close.jpg tailor_dialog.jpg

I'm adding this for a small addition to the "Ardent" storyline - Helen is going to have a slightly different route through part of the "Kidnap" chapter. But the tailor is not restricted to "Ardent", he'll be there for anyone in any storyline after the next update.

Why are pirates taking so much risks to capture big ships ?

Because of exactly that :

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 225
Finally completed the Hawk storyline, it was a lot of fun (though the Labyrinth got me lost for a while until i found my way), New Horizons is really an amazing piece of work on top of PotC.

And now roaming the sea with of my fleet with the Black Pearl along the Vengeance and the Sovereign of the Sea, i pity the fools that would try to stop me now, from left the right .

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 233
Updated Barbossa's look for the Revenge and the Uncursed Dutchman is more of a W.I.P - the DMTNT concept art is especially useful for these two versions that had limited screen time.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-09 215007.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-09 215007.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot (44).png
    Screenshot (44).png
    3.9 MB · Views: 122
That uncursed Dutchman looks like a retexture of the new improved cursed Dutchman. Any chance of uploading your files so it can go into an update?

That uncursed Dutchman looks like a retexture of the new improved cursed Dutchman. Any chance of uploading your files so it can go into an update?
Of course - I finished updating the cabin and cannon ports before uploading :). I mostly left the teeth and figurehead alone (would need modeling & looks a bit off if just the skull and arm are removed with transparency):

Attachments

• UncursedDutchman.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot (49).png
    Screenshot (49).png
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
Back